Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I picked up the Anker 36W quad-port after my PowerGen dual-port USB charger started to constantly overheat. Works great. May buy another one to keep in Sweden.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:22 pm

Was looking at this: http://www.skross.com/product/en/20/...r-MUV-USB.html [$39.50]

But based on this: "The dual USB port provides a total of 2100 mA of load power, sufficient energy to charge two USB devices easily, even if another device is connected via the adapter at the same time."

Kinda like it as I'm going to be hitting up China, UK and Europe in September...

But a bit concerned as looks like it would be slow charging stuff via USB? Will need to charge two things via USB each night...

Last edited by Hellfire; Jul 18, 2014 at 10:32 pm
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2.1A isn't much power split among two ports. It's fine for charging two phones but not a tablet and a phone. I'd suggest going for one of the options in the sticky.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
From slickdeals: http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Charg.../dp/B00GSNNWDA figure 8 cable. $19.99 - $7 w/ promo code 7QPZSVZX . A bit too big for my tastes and the two high-amperage-for-Apple-only bothers my little Android loving soul but cheap for sure.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
My Anker just stopped working today.
I have filed a cs report and will report back on the results.
CS replied to me within two working days.

I was asked for the serial number and a series of other data which I was easily able to locate from Amazon where I purchased the device.

A new device was sent via Amazon to my office and arrived 10 days after my original inquiry.

The new device is working well and no complaints about the fast level of service.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
If you're debating a choice between the black and white Anker 40W charger and travel is a factor, you may be better off with the white model. I have both, and the AC cord included with the white model is much more pliable than the black one. It's fairly difficult to coil the black cord into a small bundle, and for that reason I prefer the white one for packing.

They otherwise work equally well. I ordered the black one because I preferred the color/style over the white model, and needed another charger for a permanent location at my vacation home. I had planned to travel with the black one, but once I discovered the issue with the power cord, have relegated it to non-travel status.
Can anyone else comment on this? Is there actually a difference between the black and white model? Anker claims there isn't...
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Hellfire
Can anyone else comment on this? Is there actually a difference between the black and white model? Anker claims there isn't...
They're electrically identical. The difference in my case is in the pliability of the vinyl insulation on the power cords. It could be that they've sourced their power cords from different suppliers over time, and the one I received with the black unit was made by a manufacturer that used a different vinyl formulation.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They're electrically identical. The difference in my case is in the pliability of the vinyl insulation on the power cords. It could be that they've sourced their power cords from different suppliers over time, and the one I received with the black unit was made by a manufacturer that used a different vinyl formulation.
Just be aware that there are two identical white 5 port chargers - one is 25W and one is 40.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
Just be aware that there are two identical white 5 port chargers - one is 25W and one is 40.
Good point (although they're identical in color, they have fairly obvious differences in look and wattage). I have one of each of those, too
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good point (although they're identical in color, they have fairly obvious differences in look and wattage). I have one of each of those, too
No they don't - at least not any more. The current 25W unit looks exactly the same. The only way to tell the difference is that the 25W one only has 2 "power IQ" ports (labeled).

When the 40W came out it looked different from the 25W (at the time), but the new 25W version is, well, new.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:22 pm

K, I'm going to order around $25 worth of stuff off monoprice... anyone want to send me a referral ? You'd get a $10 credit I think

Last edited by Hellfire; Jul 27, 2014 at 11:46 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
4. I also carry at least one of these Kopi cables (in my photo, it's the cable with the yellow tips). These cables are scientifically designed to provide maximum energy throughput for charging - and you can measure the fact that that's true. You can read about it here. If you have a high capacity battery device and you need to charge at maximum speed, you cannot get more electricity throughput than by combining the Anker 40W recharger with a Kopi cable.
Thanks for the suggestion. Super expensive, but bought a few and a few extra to get free shipping. LoL now I have too many.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Anker 40W charger (white only) for $20!

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Sized-D...6739517&sr=8-2

Enter code 20DF7105 at checkout
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede

I was just coming to post that. I bought two. One for work, and one for travel so that I don't have to unplug the one I use at home the next time.

If you have Prime: I decided to allow Amazon to ship it with 'no rush'. That added a $1 video credit to my account. Since I decided later to add the second unit, I might get $2. No rush is 5-7 days shipping instead of the two. I'm not going anywhere for a couple weeks, so I thought I would try it.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede

Missed it. I was going to pick up a second Anker 40w charger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.