Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I've had the 4-port 36W charger for almost three months, and one of the ports died two days ago. Sent an e-mail yesterday, and I got a response today (after receiving an auto-responder saying the whole company had been on a training exercise for the past 12 days--that must've been fun) asking for the serial number. They will be sending a replacement as soon as I do.
Yup, they just emailed me back too. I'm getting a replacement for my 5 port charger with a defective port, and no need to return the old one. ^
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:44 am

Bolse has a $3 off coupon today W9Y7Q9LA (in the promotions portion of Amazon page)
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
Bolse has a $3 off coupon today W9Y7Q9LA (in the promotions portion of Amazon page)
The Bolse 7 port charger is the best charger I've ever used - better than any of the Anker products. Highly recommended.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
The Bolse 7 port charger is the best charger I've ever used - better than any of the Anker products. Highly recommended.
Why is it the best?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Why is it the best?
I've had mine for over a month and working perfectly. Friends were over last week and we had 4 iPads charging with no issues.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23461600-post388.html
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
I've had mine for over a month and working perfectly. Friends were over last week and we had 4 iPads charging with no issues.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23461600-post388.html
OK, so it's basically just because it has the most ports and highest power rating. There are no extra feature. My Anker has more ports than I need, so I'm content.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Why is it the best?
  • Most ports.
  • A power indicator LED (Anker really needs these)
  • rubber feet to prevent it from sliding around
  • So far, better quality - too many Anker chargers breaking on me lately
  • Higher and more reliable power output
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
  • Most ports.
  • A power indicator LED (Anker really needs these)
  • rubber feet to prevent it from sliding around
  • So far, better quality - too many Anker chargers breaking on me lately
  • Higher and more reliable power output
I am on my second Anker in less than six months and while the customer service is very good this one also has 2 ports not working now. I will definitely look for a non-Anke solution soon.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I am on my second Anker in less than six months and while the customer service is very good this one also has 2 ports not working now. I will definitely look for a non-Anke solution soon.
If this is the 40W 5 port model, Anker is now replacing them with current-limited models with ports that automatically reset. No cost to you; don't just throw it out . . .
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
If this is the 40W 5 port model, Anker is now replacing them with current-limited models with ports that automatically reset. No cost to you; don't just throw it out . . .
Yeah, they just asked me for my serial number, then told me they were sending a new one and I could keep or recycle the one with the bad port.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I got my replacement today. It's a newer version with PowerIQ. Hopefully the port(s) don't die out anytime soon.

Regardless, ^ to Anker customer service.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Thanks- that is exactly what it is.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:05 pm

None of these chargers seem to support Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 or alternatively Samsung’s Adaptive Fast Charging that devices like the HTC One (M8), Nexus 6, Note 4 and Note Edge support.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by futaris
None of these chargers seem to support Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 or alternatively Samsung’s Adaptive Fast Charging that devices like the HTC One (M8), Nexus 6, Note 4 and Note Edge support.
I posted in the wrong thread....

In the interest of staying on topic, those are relatively new technologies. It will take a bit for the aftermarket to catch up.

Last edited by dakuda; Dec 1, 2014 at 10:01 pm
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:42 am

I've tried to read through all of this but got a little confused with all of the different versions over time. Can anyone tell me the best of all these that have a UK plug as standard? Or doesn't that matter too much, connecting leads can be replaced etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.