Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:19 pm

6 ports usb charging hub?

Wife and I both taking Nexus 6, Fire Tablets, Kindles etc for a couple of weeks Australia trip and don't want to take multiple chargers,
so we want to grab a multi-port usb charging station and find a 6 port usb charging station on Youtube:

It looks great since its ports are reversible and 6 ports are enough for both of us.
Anyone has dealt with this suaoki?
Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
OMG does it come with its own forklift? That thing is gigantic! Look at some of the more dense solutions up thread. What's your affiliation to the manufacturer and what's the basis of the claim of "reversible ports" which would be interesting but since USB A doesn't support it, this thing cries "shill" to me.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chx1975
OMG does it come with its own forklift? That thing is gigantic! Look at some of the more dense solutions up thread. What's your affiliation to the manufacturer and what's the basis of the claim of "reversible ports" which would be interesting but since USB A doesn't support it, this thing cries "shill" to me.
I had thought the same thing but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Taking the Janus approach (looking both ways) on the last two posts, yes MAXSUGAR, there are many better approaches. None with six ports, but I'd take two of any of the ten listed in the wiki in this thread and think I was doing better than this single power bank you've asked about here.

And now, assuming chx1975 is correct, here's some helpful information to pass back up the chain. Branding is fine, but when branding takes up half the width of a power bank, the manufacturer has wasted a tremendous amount of space. See if you can get a manufacturer other than Trabant to make that power bank and maybe there's a future for it.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
This is in today's Amazon daily deals:

http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Desktop-Charger-Intelligent-Technology/dp/B00LMIA9L4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457642269&sr=8-2&keywords=Photive+60+Watt+6+Port+USB+Desktop+Rapid+Charger http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Desktop-Charger-Intelligent-Technology/dp/B00LMIA9L4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457642269&sr=8-2&keywords=Photive+60+Watt+6+Port+USB+Desktop+Rapid+Charger

Last edited by cheltzel; Mar 11, 2016 at 4:49 am Reason: pic too big
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:53 am

I recently got this:
Amazon.com: Anker 30W 6-Port USB Charger PowerPort 6 Lite for iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPad Air 2/mini 3, Samsung Galaxy s6/s6 edge and More: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Anker 30W 6-Port USB Charger PowerPort 6 Lite for iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPad Air 2/mini 3, Samsung Galaxy s6/s6 edge and More: Cell Phones & Accessories
and it seems to do the trick....note that 3 of these usb plugs are 'smart' while it seems the other 3 are standard 1.0 amp chargers.

I had it whilst on travel for a couple days of skiing....once plugged in, it charged 2 gopro hero 3s, 2 cell phones and even my anker 10k battery chager unit.

Even if you don't get this brand, get a good branded one and you'll never regret it.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:42 am

For the past few years I've tried quite a few different chargers. Eac

We've been using a bunch of the Anker chargers at the office and been pleased with them. The ones we're using all have LEDs on them, as I've been to more than a few hotels where the outlets near the desk or nightstand are switched. This also means I'm less apt to forget them. The auto-switching Android/Apple ports make life much easier too.

Currently carrying:
Anker 4 port 40 watt w/folding plug Anker 4 port 40 watt w/folding plug
for the desk at the hotel room/office. Also has been helpful at airports with few plugs and many people wanting to charge.

Anker 2 port 24 watt w/folding plug Anker 2 port 24 watt w/folding plug
in the outer pocket of my checked luggage. This is also our office standard-issue since 2 ports w/24 watts is more than enough for most of them.

Anker 1 port QuickCharge 2.0 Anker 1 port QuickCharge 2.0
in the outer pouch of my laptop bag -- I don't like fast-charging my batteries, but when I'm in a pinch, it's awesome to top up in <30 mins.

and while they're unwieldy at times, I carry 10 ft microUSB cables. Much LESS unwieldy than carrying 110v/230v extension cords & power strips. There's a few 1ft ones in my bag for when I'm charging everything on top of the desk, BUT most of the time I'm using a 10ft for my phone & tablet.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My Anker Zolo is acting funny, so I'm looking for a new, thin, vertical charger.

This one looks like a good candidate...

https://www.amazon.com/iKits-Certifi...dp/B019ERG3UK/

My only complaint is that it's only 3.4A, I was hoping for 4-4.8A. Not a deal breaker, especially if it's this small.

Does anyone know of a 4.8A charger in this form factor?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is generally obsolete now. Current thread at 2017: USB Travel Chargers and Power Supplies Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.