Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Amazon has the Anker 40W charger for $23.39 this week for Father's Day. Use the promo code LOVEDAD1 at checkout.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/1223...ndroid-devices

(it's only about a $2 savings from the usual price but still...)
If you're debating a choice between the black and white Anker 40W charger and travel is a factor, you may be better off with the white model. I have both, and the AC cord included with the white model is much more pliable than the black one. It's fairly difficult to coil the black cord into a small bundle, and for that reason I prefer the white one for packing.

They otherwise work equally well. I ordered the black one because I preferred the color/style over the white model, and needed another charger for a permanent location at my vacation home. I had planned to travel with the black one, but once I discovered the issue with the power cord, have relegated it to non-travel status.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Amazon has the Anker 40W charger for $23.39 this week for Father's Day.
Recent reviews report problems suggesting that there is/was a defective production run of this item. Some of the reports are recent (e.g. 4 June 2014) To see them click the One :-: link, which I will try to paste here:

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Sized-D...owViewpoints=0

The one that I have seems to be fine, but I have not yet used it to power multiple devices - it is intended for our vacation home. I also planned to buy another as a gift, but I would need to test it.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
If you're debating a choice between the black and white Anker 40W charger and travel is a factor, you may be better off with the white model. I have both, and the AC cord included with the white model is much more pliable than the black one. It's fairly difficult to coil the black cord into a small bundle, and for that reason I prefer the white one for packing.

They otherwise work equally well. I ordered the black one because I preferred the color/style over the white model, and needed another charger for a permanent location at my vacation home. I had planned to travel with the black one, but once I discovered the issue with the power cord, have relegated it to non-travel status.
A small but useful data point. Thanks.

For travel purposes, I just went ahead and got one of these folding plugs. It can be a pain in those hotel rooms that are not abundant in outlets and you you're forced to plug into the wall behind some nightstand, but otherwise it's great for travel.

By the way, I've given up on one night stands. So now I always book a room with two night stands.

Ba DUM dum.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

Strangely enough, I have the exact opposite experience. I got the white one first, liked it a lot, but the cord was short and not very flexible. The black one became my favorite initially because of the availability of maximum recharging power at any port but then became even more so when I noticed the cord was longer and more flexible. My white Anker now is used for home charging only.

I can't say that my experience is the usual one. I got one of the early issues of the white Anker, and it may very well be that later models were given the longer, more flexible cords I got with my black one.

Even better, it was simple enough to order an extension with a UK-style plug that will go with me this summer for six weeks in Scotland, allowing me to travel with only one adapter that I'll use with my laptop:

http://www.cablewholesale.com/produc...10w1-13406.php
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Strangely enough, I have the exact opposite experience. I got the white one first, liked it a lot, but the cord was short and not very flexible. The black one became my favorite initially because of the availability of maximum recharging power at any port but then became even more so when I noticed the cord was longer and more flexible. My white Anker now is used for home charging only.

I can't say that my experience is the usual one. I got one of the early issues of the white Anker, and it may very well be that later models were given the longer, more flexible cords I got with my black one.

Even better, it was simple enough to order an extension with a UK-style plug that will go with me this summer for six weeks in Scotland, allowing me to travel with only one adapter that I'll use with my laptop:

http://www.cablewholesale.com/produc...10w1-13406.php
I think the white one you have is the earlier 25W model. The 40W model is available in black or white.

I actually have all three

I had purchased the original 25W model with the dedicated/labeled ports. When the 40W with the "intelligent" ports became available, I picked up a white one; that was all that was available at the time. The 25W model became my home office charger, with cables permanently plugged into it. The white 40W unit travels with me.

When the black 40W became available, I purchased it because, well, I like black. But it didn't work out as well as a travel charger so it's now serving me in my remote office/vacation home.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I think the white one you have is the earlier 25W model. The 40W model is available in black or white.

I actually have all three

I had purchased the original 25W model with the dedicated/labeled ports. When the 40W with the "intelligent" ports became available, I picked up a white one; that was all that was available at the time. The 25W model became my home office charger, with cables permanently plugged into it. The white 40W unit travels with me.

When the black 40W became available, I purchased it because, well, I like black. But it didn't work out as well as a travel charger so it's now serving me in my remote office/vacation home.
Yep, you're right, the white one I have is the 25W--hadn't picked up on the 40W being offered in white as well. Interesting that Anker keeps making little modifications to the product as I didn't think of the short, inflexible cord on the 25W white one as a real problem until I got the 40W black one which had a better cord. And, it appears the 40W white one, which I think became available after the black one, has an even better cord. Fortunately, for me, the UK plug cord I purchased is even longer, meaning I can use a lot of electrical outlets, including those hidden behind or under beds.

Of course, given how these things go, it's likely that all of the outlets I'll be using will be extremely conveniently located. . .
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Amazon has the Anker 40W charger for $23.39 this week for Father's Day. Use the promo code LOVEDAD1 at checkout.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/1223...ndroid-devices

(it's only about a $2 savings from the usual price but still...)
We all know you will have found bigger and better next week! Everyone knows about "gfunkdave's law" - it's like Moore's Law except faster !
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
We all know you will have found bigger and better next week! Everyone knows about "gfunkdave's law" - it's like Moore's Law except faster !
You forgot cheaper!

I just had a major across the globe move and it is amaze at stuff that I don't use anymore, replace by gear that is faster, stronger, better and cheaper.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:47 pm

Haven't used it, haven't ordered it, don't know the quality of the product or the company, and it delivers 2 amps to only three of five ports. But with a coupon code, KEAB98RQ, it's as cheap as anything out there:

http://www.amazon.com/NewPower-Deskt...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t.

I'm still happy with the $10 or so more I spent on the Anker 40W, but I figured I'd throw this out there for those looking for something cheaper.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:19 am

An Amazon reseller has a four port Orico USB wall plug charger for $9. Specs are: 2 x 2.1A Ports and 2 x 1A Ports. The maximum power rating is 31 Watts / 6.2 Amps total output. Here's the link...
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I just bought 2 more skiva quadfires for my kids.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
The Wire Cutter has a nice review of car chargers up now with some good electrical profile analysis http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-car-charger/
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: AY+
Have you noticed the difference on charging time with OEM and "china" USB cables?
I bought pile of cables from Alibaba and many of those won´t charge the tablet (Galaxy Tab 3) properly. Charger is the same OEM.

What cables you are using, only OEM?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by sama
What cables you are using, only OEM?
monoprice.com
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
monoprice.com
Monoprice is great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.