Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
May I worship you? ^

Really, outstandingly useful post. Thanks. I have some shopping to do
HAHAHA! I actually was a little worried I'd get razzed for being a bit wacko, but look mom! i got validated by an official GadgetFreak!

And for the record: Carly Simon was definitely talking about ME.

Last edited by thegasguru; Feb 4, 2014 at 5:09 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
4. I also carry at least one of these Kopi cables (in my photo, it's the cable with the yellow tips). These cables are scientifically designed to provide maximum energy throughput for charging - and you can measure the fact that that's true. You can read about it here.
The Amazon link says it is a charge/sync cable whereas the Kopi website says it is a charger cable. Would you happen to know if the data pins are wired through from end to end?

Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by unmesh
The Amazon link says it is a charge/sync cable whereas the Kopi website says it is a charger cable. Would you happen to know if the data pins are wired through from end to end?

Thanks.
Honestly, I bought cables from the owner before he even had a presence on Amazon, while he was still sort of in development. Can't remember how I heard about him. Anyway, at that time, he was only producing charge-only cables, which I was happy to buy, since I have a buttload full of various other sync-capable cables (including the retractable cables that I carry every day).

Since then I've gone back to buy sync/charge cables from him as well. They perform flawlessly.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Had a nasty experiece with the PortaPow 4 Port. Using it in Italy this week with the Euro 2 Pin adapter, the adapter broke, leave two live mains pins sticking out of the socket. Not good.

Amazon customer service very good - complete refund and no need to return the faulty charger. Have ordered the 40W replacement Anker, which is in stock on Amazon UK. SHould be waiting for me when I get home.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
My problem with the Grid-Its is that I think they're pretty heavy for what they do - altho I admit they are cool as all get out.

I find that by using sturdy zippered bags, I can fit more gear into less space with less weight. Lord help me, because what I'm about to do may brand me as a nut job, but here are some photos of my current gear setup:

http://bit.ly/1apScA2

I know that looks like a ton of stuff, but here is what I can shrink it down to:

http://bit.ly/1evSFjB

http://bit.ly/LwjM2A

For those ADHD folks out there who might care, here's a list of my gear, and why I prefer it:

1. The Anker 40W (referenced in the wiki at the top of this thread) is a thing of beauty. Other posts in this thread outline why it's a great device. For folks like me that have a ton of rechargeable electronics, having 5 high-amp ports is awesome.
2. I use this C7 (figure 8) adapter to minimize the space taken up to plug in my Anker 40W. My wish list would be for the Anker to have it's own foldable prongs built in, like the Monoprice, but this is a close 2nd best, since it's at least detachable. However, I'm awaiting shipment of this folding plug C7 adapter, which I think is gonna be awesome. I'm sorry to report that I bought the last two plugs that the vendor had in stock, and they don't know when they'll be getting any more.
3. I carry 4 micro USB retractable cables, since I often have that many devices or more to recharge overnight. Not everyone is a fan of retractables, but I like these specifically because they extend to a full 4 feet. Most competitors only extend to 3 feet or less. I'm surprised by just how often that extra foot of extension helps out. Plus, I have found this particular brand to be quite durable and reliable, which is not always the case with more cheaply manufactured retractable cables.
4. I also carry at least one of these Kopi cables (in my photo, it's the cable with the yellow tips). These cables are scientifically designed to provide maximum energy throughput for charging - and you can measure the fact that that's true. You can read about it here. If you have a high capacity battery device and you need to charge at maximum speed, you cannot get more electricity throughput than by combining the Anker 40W recharger with a Kopi cable.
5. I also carry this Anker lipstick sized external battery pack. You can buy higher capacity battery packs, but they're a LOT bigger. This one is small, and compared to competing sized packs, it carries a lot more capacity: 3000mAh. I've tried the others, and many of them turn themselves off after a while, regardless of whether they've delivered a complete charge to a connected device. Not this one. You have to press the on button to start a charge, and then it stays on until the device is fully charged or it runs out of juice. In a perfect world it would be a rectangle, since the tube design will sometimes roll on a tabletop, but it takes up minimal room in my travel bag, and 3000mAh is a lot of juice for the size.
6. A MiFi with an ultra high capacity battery.
7. I love the Jaybird Bluebud bluetooth headset. It pairs easily with my phone and my Nexus 7, and it looks very unintrusive while wearing. That's great when I'm eating a meal alone on the road, and I don't want to look like a complete dork while being entertained.
8. Cable tip adapters to convert from micro USB to the old iPhone, the new iPhone lightning, and mini (as opposed to micro) USB tips. I even have an adapter that converts the older Macbook charging cable tip to the new one. There really isn't a rechargeable device around that I can't recharge. Do I need them all? No. Do I sometimes travel with family which includes knuckleheaded forgetful teenagers? Or knuckleheaded business colleagues? Yes.
9. Small thumb key (64GB) and a micro SD card (64GB) with USB adapter. You'd be amazed at how many movies I can stuff on those. No wifi? No problem. Still got some entertainment. Oh yeah...I can also transfer files from any location...just in case, you know, I ever get forced into doing some actual work.
10. An extra recharger with foldable prongs. I use the 10W version becuase it is very small, yet has both a 2.1A and 1.0A port. I carry it because it's small enough that it doesn't really take up much space, and occasionally I want to plug in some of my devices on the other side of the room - if I want to save nightstand space, or if there are blinking lights overnight I don't want to be bothered by.
11. This Asus travel router. Smaller than a pack of gum. Easy peasy to setup and use. Setup once, and all devices - by all family members - can use wifi for no additional cost, and no additional portal log in. There is another thread on FT about it here.
12. Extra battery for my Samsung S4 phone, and a recharging case to put it in.
13. Finally, I've been happy with these stupid little zippered pouches. They're far more durable than a ziplock bag, and come in a variety of sizes. I've found that for gathering up odds and ends - for example, electronic cables and gear - a zippered bag works the best. Least space, least weight.

Well folks, there you have it. I guess now it's time for my medication.
Very nice. Some good ideas to steal. . .
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Had a nasty experiece with the PortaPow 4 Port. Using it in Italy this week with the Euro 2 Pin adapter, the adapter broke, leave two live mains pins sticking out of the socket. Not good.

Amazon customer service very good - complete refund and no need to return the faulty charger. Have ordered the 40W replacement Anker, which is in stock on Amazon UK. SHould be waiting for me when I get home.
Porta POW!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:57 am

Anybody tried Orico DCP-5U 5 Port Super Charger with 5V7.2Amps charger?
http://www.amazon.com/Charger-ORICO-.../dp/B00H1HIZ2A

Seems to be able to supply 2 x 2.1A USB and 3 x 1A USB. Wondering if the rating are as good as it claimed.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a note that I have been using the Anker 25W / 5 port and am very happy with it- tend to travel with a blackberry, iPhone, and iPad, and if Ms. Travelsig is along add a Nexus Tablet and another iPhone as well as an LG phone and if going to a beach destination also a kindle paperwhite.

The Anker works perfectly and charges everything- just bring along the extra plugs which is easy. Saving a lot of weight and cable as well as being able to charge all at the same time which is a stress saver if nothing else.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:34 pm

I'm trying to find something a little more portable than the power cord the Anker comes with and found this cord - does this look like something that might work with it? I've yet to use the Anker, so wondering if I'm missing something here.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
I'm trying to find something a little more portable than the power cord the Anker comes with and found this cord
ScottC recommended this way back and I got one for my Anker. Works like a charm.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
ScottC recommended this way back and I got one for my Anker. Works like a charm.
Very interesting- has anyone found something similar with the European plug termination?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:46 am

I'm surprised to hear myself saying this, since I almost always prefer the latest and the greatest, but I find myself going back to the Monoprice 21W for travel purposes.

I love the Anker 40W, it's an outstanding unit. But dealing with the detachable figure 8 plug is a little bit of a hassle, and the plug + unit is ever so slightly larger in size than the Monoprice. If I had some kind of pressing need for 8A of recharging power on the road, then the Anker would be a godsend. But the Monoprice has that built in foldable plug, and I could rapid-charge TWO latest-gen iPads from it if I needed to, which I don't. 4A is more than enough to get the job done for me while traveling. So...I'm going back to the Monoprice.

Still love the Anker, which will now lose it's frequent flier status, but will gain even more love in it's new role as the family charging station in the kitchen.

Last edited by thegasguru; Feb 14, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Had the Anker 40W on a couple of trips so far and I'm liking it and have noticed one drawback. For me the cable is a big plus.... it means that you can charge your devices by your bed in most hotel rooms where there isn't an outlet/socket by the bed. With the length of the cable + a long USB lead you can have your phone (which I use as an alarm) by the bed at night. Also you're not battling to get an adapter into a potentially blocked socket, or cramped floorbox in an office.

Now the downside: appalling mains suppression. I plugged the adapter into my Jambone Jawbox to charge whilst playing and I got hit with a huge wall of hum. Using the USB socket on my laptop gave no such issues. Disappointed with that.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:47 pm

I'm surprised to hear myself saying this, since I almost always prefer the latest and the greatest, but I find myself going back to the Monoprice 21W for travel purposes.

Still love the Anker, which will now lose it's frequent flier status, but will gain even more love in it's new role as the family charging station in the kitchen.
Same here. When i rushed off to Asia beforethe last storm,threw the monoprice intomy gearbag!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted - solved the issue

I like the 15000mah Anker battery! And the little pint sized one too.

Last edited by richard; Feb 15, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.