No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes

I understand that the carriers are trying to protect their networks from folks downloading hundreds of GBs of data a month, but the whole practice reeks of a shameless cash grab. Aaaand there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.
Well actually you can do something about it. Don't use their overpriced service.

Call Verizon and tell them you want the unlock code for your phone; they will provide this.

Unlock your phone.

You can now purchase a pre-paid sim card for the location you are visiting, you will find the data rates are much more reasonable than the jacked up rates Verizon is now charging.

This is what I have been doing and it seems to work quite well.
Old May 31, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by nubudu
Well actually you can do something about it. Don't use their overpriced service.

Call Verizon and tell them you want the unlock code for your phone; they will provide this.

Unlock your phone.

You can now purchase a pre-paid sim card for the location you are visiting, you will find the data rates are much more reasonable than the jacked up rates Verizon is now charging.

What if I'm visiting 2-3 European countries in a week? Does that mean I have to buy a new SIM in each country? Or is there some pan-Europe SIM I can get?
Old May 31, 2011, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by jg70124

Unlock your phone.

What if I'm visiting 2-3 European countries in a week? Does that mean I have to buy a new SIM in each country? Or is there some pan-Europe SIM I can get?
That is one problem. Another is that while prepaid day is cheap in some countries (the UK for instance) that isn't always the case. A third problem is that I think you need a different account with a Blackberry in most cases. I suppose this last point is one more issue with BBs. When Verizon told me about the new data plans they tried to get me to upgrade to an Android device.
Old May 31, 2011, 7:06 pm

Location: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
Got the same notice, called today and got the same info as available online: choice of basic domestic unlimited data at $29.99 (no Exchange server) or $44.99 (with Exchange server email) + international data at $30-$100/month for 75-200MB (Canada/Mexico) or $30-$100/month for 25-70MB (Caribbean & Europe, includes Canada/Mexico). http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Glo..._coverage.html

I asked about the BobbySteel special with the $100 credit and free tablet but the phone rep had not heard of it. If anybody else scored that deal it would be helpful to have details--I can change my plan until June 4.
Old May 31, 2011, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by LGA1K
Got the same notice, called today and got the same info as available online: choice of basic domestic unlimited data at $29.99 (no Exchange server) or $44.99 (with Exchange server email) + international data at $30-$100/month for 75-200MB (Canada/Mexico) or $30-$100/month for 25-70MB (Caribbean & Europe, includes Canada/Mexico). http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Glo..._coverage.html

I asked about the BobbySteel special with the $100 credit and free tablet but the phone rep had not heard of it. If anybody else scored that deal it would be helpful to have details--I can change my plan until June 4.
I was told the same as you. Not pressing it as I have 1 1/2 yrs left in my contract. Hoping there is a better alternative from any US provider by then. The data allotments are just too ridiculously low. I don't need unlimited, but 70mb/month is a joke (and that doesn't even apply in Asia as far as i can tell).
Old May 31, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Kudos to Verizon

Gotta give credit where credit is due:

I called the number as instructed in the letter I received regarding termination of my unlimited global data plan. Was expecting to conduct a fruitless argument trying to persuade them to leave me on the plan. To my delight, the rep. right away offered a "limited time special offer" of $30 for 250MB/mo. global data in all countries that were in the previous plan. He checked my average usage and it was never above 50MB/mo. (BB uses MUCH less so advantage over data-gobbling Droids/iPhone). He said as long as I switch to this plan now and leave it active, I am good to go.

BIG thumbs up to VZW for recognizing that previous users of this plan should be given some sort of compromise. I think this deal is very fair as it allows for plenty of normal usage while eliminating heavy data usage which results in a huge liability for VZW to foreign carriers.

Even better would be for this plan or similar to be offered to all users.

Thanks Verizon!! ^^^
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold

Unlock your phone.

Oh I know, and that's exactly what I do. (I specifically got my my Droid 2 Global so that I would have global GSM access on an Android phone while still primarily using Verizon's CDMA network in the US.) I'm just frustrated that I have to carry around a stack of SIM cards when I travel the world.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by R U?
Gotta give credit where credit is due:

I called the number as instructed in the letter I received regarding termination of my unlimited global data plan. Was expecting to conduct a fruitless argument trying to persuade them to leave me on the plan. To my delight, the rep. right away offered a "limited time special offer" of $30 for 250MB/mo. global data in all countries that were in the previous plan. He checked my average usage and it was never above 50MB/mo. (BB uses MUCH less so advantage over data-gobbling Droids/iPhone). He said as long as I switch to this plan now and leave it active, I am good to go.

BIG thumbs up to VZW for recognizing that previous users of this plan should be given some sort of compromise. I think this deal is very fair as it allows for plenty of normal usage while eliminating heavy data usage which results in a huge liability for VZW to foreign carriers.

Even better would be for this plan or similar to be offered to all users.

Thanks Verizon!! ^^^
I would jump on that deal in a minute but it wasn't offered to me. Does it have a name? Seems like I need to call Verizon again. Thanks for pointing that plan out.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:18 pm

Location: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks to R U?
I signed up yesterday for the 25MB/$30 plan but after reading R U?'s post I called back today and the rep immediately offered me the 250MB/$30 "250MB Promotional Plan" + $100 one-time credit.
Good luck to GadgetFreak and others.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by LGA1K
Thanks to R U?
I signed up yesterday for the 25MB/$30 plan but after reading R U?'s post I called back today and the rep immediately offered me the 250MB/$30 "250MB Promotional Plan" + $100 one-time credit.
Good luck to GadgetFreak and others.
A couple of quick points in no particular order:

*I've been eyeing two roaming SIMs with good data prices for the EU: abroadband.com and maxroam.com. As to abroadband, read the reviews at prepaidgsm.net. There have been a few kinks;

*Blackberries present interesting problems because of the closed APN, but you can connect on wifi. This probably also includes a MiFi style device with a prepaid SIM;

*TMobile still has the unlimited email option for $19.00 which works worldwide. If you have a friend with TMobile, for some people paying the $10 family plan fee for an extra phone plus the $19 when needed makes some sense;
Old Jun 7, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Has anyone had more of these calls? I figure I'll wait and see when they add the newest Galaxy Tab. The guy gave me until 30 June.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I just called and said "I got a letter about some 250mb plan" and they were willing to add it. (I didn't actually get the letter - just going by what is posted here).

He mentioned that this would be available until sometime in August, and then $30 would then get you the pathetic 25mb or whatever the new plan is.

Also asked about moving from 3G to 4G - does it stay unlimited? Agent said he had not heard officially but suspected it would. I should also be able to move from BB to Droid to WM7 and back and maintain the data plans as well.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I just got a similar letter today, saying the recently had sent me a letter about this, but the information was incorrect. I dont remember seeing a previous letter. I'm not on contract and offered the same $30 for 250mb for when I travel abroad.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Thanks for this thread - I took international data off back in December when I had a temporary cessation in international travel, but I'm about to start back up again. It will be interesting to see what my choices are.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Yuengling
Thanks for this thread - I took international data off back in December when I had a temporary cessation in international travel, but I'm about to start back up again. It will be interesting to see what my choices are.
Do let us know, I'd be interested in hearing if you have better luck (and I hope you do). I've written to their executive offices and the FCC and they still insist they have no way of getting this plan back (even though I know they can do an inactive pricing request if they want to).

I have an open complaint with the BBB that's probably going to an arbitrator, and they are leaning towards telling VZ that they need to give it back to me. Whether or not VZ will listen is probably another store.

For those that have had it added back after March - I'd love to hear how you did it. Did you just ask? Is your line a business line?

BBB has said that if I can find evidence of them allowing someone to get it back recently, then I have a strong case, so if anyone is willing to post their results and share their trick, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.