No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; pcdadr6350 Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by tlott
Received this email from Verizon... not surprised.

Your global data service plan will end when your contract expires. Please take action now.
Dear Verizon Wireless Customer,
Your current global data service plan will no longer be available when your contract expires or when you renew your contract, whichever comes first. You will need to convert to an available global data service plan before your contract expires in order to maintain global data capabilities.
Let's discuss your global options.
Call us at 888.370.9515 to discuss special offers available for a limited time.
If you do not contact us to discuss your options and move to a new global data plan, your current global data plan - which includes unlimited domestic data - will be replaced by our $29.99/month unlimited domestic data package.
Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. We realize how important it is to have wireless data services while traveling overseas and we are committed to finding the right solution for you.
Sincerely,
Verizon Wireless
Same as I got. The new special off-list plan is 250mb per month. Plus free tablet. Plus cash credit.
Old May 26, 2011, 9:39 pm

Today (05/26/2011) received a phone call from someone at customer service (area code was 614) to convert to new options.

Spent about 20 minutes discussing new rates plans and options. Decided to drop international data/emails and just stick with:

Domestic USA unlimited web/emails Blackberry
900 minutes talk time;
$15.00 tethered USB

Also lots of time re: Android. I told her I'm going to switch but need to invest time on exporting .csv Blackberry addressbook and the convert it so that it accurately imports into .gmail --> Android.

Surprised that I received a phone call.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K UGS, SPG PLAT, HH GOLD, DSM GOLD, CONT GOLD, HYATT PLAT, INTRCNTL PLAT, AMEX CENT
I received the same email today. Awful news.

So does this mean if I don't make any changes I'll still have this plan for the duration of my contract? I have a year and a half left ... probably worth keeping it as is.

Are there any other providers out there that offer a comparable feature? I wonder if I can switch to a Verizon small business account or something.
Old May 27, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; pcdadr6350 Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Same as I got. The new special off-list plan is 250mb per month. Plus free tablet. Plus cash credit.
What tablet, plans, and how much cash?
Old May 27, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt

Forgot to ask how much the new plan was. Any tablet but ipad2 and $100 credit.
Old May 28, 2011, 7:32 am

I'm on ATT International iPhone and off contract with a 3GS. I was going to wait for the 4S to do my renewal. I'm wondering if I should call this weekend, sign another two years, and take the 4. I'm bummed because I had been sitting out the 4 waiting for the next phone, but my instinct is that I should grab the two years while I still can.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, etc
Rant

Just signed up today after checking the site out seveal times because I just couldn't believe how I got screwed by Verizon with the unlimited data package

On background, I've had this unlimited international data package for nearly 4 years, and along with the family plan we have, I've been paying Verizon nearly $275 each month.

I travel 18 days/month, mostly international, and this plan has been great to be able to keep in touch with the wife through unlimited BBM, check emails and surf the web while killing time in the airport. Finally called them for the first time to turn off the int'l data about 2 weeks ago, hoping to save a little money with the pro rated charge before coming back to Asia on the 26th. I was carefully advised, and I thought quite nicely by VZW customer service, that the service had to be turned back on within 2 months or would be discontinued. No problem, knew I was leaving and would call them back within a couple of weeks.

Finally called them back on 5/26 before leaving the country, and was advised FOR THE FIRST TIME that they were removing the program completely, and that they were not able to reinstate it. They had the actual log on my account where customer service told me the account could be turned back on, but that thet no longer had the ability to make the change. I was promised a call back, and received one just before leaving, and they promised to turn the SIM back on, and sign me in for a low data package to get me coverage while I'm in Asia.

Got to Macau on the 27th, no data. Called today, they had not turned the SIM back on. Said they could offer me the 30 MB package for $30, or the 100 MB package for $100, but no chance on the unlimited data. Hemmed and hawed for over an hour on the phone before the supervisor said that they were going to reinstate the agreement, but likely only for another month or so. He specifically said that if i was part of a major corporation traveling overseas "like Boeing", that I would likely get better pricing consideration. Other than say "f%@k you", I gave them the usual threat not to sign up with them, which does a little, but very little. So currently, I've got service and a promise to get back in touch with me on Monday, with little hope of getting it resolved in my favor.

His bottom line message was that they can change whatever they want on a contract at any time, for whatever reason, because that's what the contract states...and if you don't like it you can go pound sand, because anything you get back is just a favor we're doing for you.

Sorry for the rant, but I think this is the end of my time with Verizon, as this is just the tip of the iceberg. When we've had problems in the past, I've always told my wife that Verizon is the lesser of the several other evils out there, but they've just removed the last good reason to stay with them from my perspective.
Old May 29, 2011, 6:38 am

I would continue to fight that one including at least going through the counsel half of the arbitration issue (writing the letter as a last resource to their counsel as required before arbitrating). If you have a friend who is an attorney to put the letter in. Request they produce the CSR recordsj as a prerequisite to arbitration. Even if you don't intend to arbitrate sound serious and make out your case for detrimental reliance. Something might shake free.

Blogging all over the place won't hurt either. The question you'll need to answer is whether you will take their 250 meg abroad offer if you can pry that out of counsel or whether you are going to go all or nothing.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
To add another spin to this development:

Your global data service plan will be terminated in July 2011. Action required.

Dear Verizon Wireless Customer,

We recently reviewed your account and found that more than half of your data use over three consecutive billing cycles was from outside the Verizon Wireless National Enhanced Service Rate and Coverage Area, which is contrary to the terms and conditions of your Verizon Wireless service. Accordingly, we are writing to notify you that your global data plan will be removed from your account, beginning with your billing cycle that begins in July, 2011. All other services on your account will remain active, including voice services.

Other global data options to consider.

Please call us at 888.370.9515 to discuss your options. If you do not contact us before June 30, 2011 and move to a new global data plan, your current global data plan - which includes unlimited domestic data - will be replaced by our $29.99/month unlimited domestic data package at the start of your July bill cycle.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,
Verizon Wireless
Unbelievable! I have been on the $64.99 unlimited international data plan without interruption since December 2008. I renewed my contract this past summer for another 2 years. The "terms and conditions" they refer to were only introduced this past January. How can they force me to switch my plan in the middle of a contract? Do I have any recourse to keep the plan for the remainder of my contract?
Old May 29, 2011, 5:04 pm

Verizon is obviously playing games (big time). Compare this to what ATT is doing for individuals who tether contrary to their contracts. They give you one warning.

These clauses are objectively unreaasonable because they screw people who use wifi at home and work, but don't have that luxury on the road. The bottom line is for folks who haven't gotten that notice, sign up for Slacker Radio or Pandora and play it for forty-eight hours straight when you are home.

I've made a point of signing up for a free subscription with Evernote and keep detailed notes when I talk to customer service rep, insising on having my accounts noted, etc.

Unfortunately, we all signed agreements where they can change the conditions against us at wil. I would love to figure out how to change this. I think if you fight hard enough, you can break your plans, but that doesn't fix the problem. We buy equipment and billed numerous assumptions based on their promises.

Unfortunately, the US Supreme Court just gave ATT and Verizon a massive gift when they held that the arbitration clauses bar class action suits.
Old May 30, 2011, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by R U?
To add another spin to this development:

Unbelievable! I have been on the $64.99 unlimited international data plan without interruption since December 2008. I renewed my contract this past summer for another 2 years. The "terms and conditions" they refer to were only introduced this past January. How can they force me to switch my plan in the middle of a contract? Do I have any recourse to keep the plan for the remainder of my contract?
Wow that's pretty outrageous. Sounds like they're looking for any reason to get us off this plan. Thanks for posting this. I'll be sure to check my domestic vs. international usage because right now they could terminate me.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:16 am

Thinking out loud, I'm wondering if you can argue that domestic wifi usage should count even if they have a hard time quantifying it and therefore you are within compliance of the terms.

The first thing I would do is reread all the contract provisions. If Verizon hasn't flagged your account, get an account usage meter and make sure that your US usage exceeds your foreign usage even if you do things like download Podcasts in the US in anticipation of trips, etc.

I hate the fact that I have to use all my lawyer skills to keep a contract provision which is in my favor.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Thinking out loud, I'm wondering if you can argue that domestic wifi usage should count even if they have a hard time quantifying it and therefore you are within compliance of the terms.

The first thing I would do is reread all the contract provisions. If Verizon hasn't flagged your account, get an account usage meter and make sure that your US usage exceeds your foreign usage even if you do things like download Podcasts in the US in anticipation of trips, etc.

I hate the fact that I have to use all my lawyer skills to keep a contract provision which is in my favor.
That's a good point. Where can I download my contract terms & provisions?
Old May 31, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by AJGNET
Are there any other providers out there that offer a comparable feature? I wonder if I can switch to a Verizon small business account or something.
None of the US-based carriers offer unlimited international data plans for new subscribers anymore, either personal or small business. (A colleague has had an unlimited plan with AT&T for many years, but I couldn't find an AT&T rep that would create one for me now).

Here's everything I've found:

Verizon:
- Canada: $30 for 25MB or $100 for 70MB; overages are $2.05/MB
- Mexico, Carib & parts of Europe: $30 for 25MB or $100 for 70MB; overages are $5.12/MB
- All other countries: $20.48/MB (no plans available, pay as you go only)

AT&T:
- $25 for 20MB, $60 for 50MB, $120 for 100 MB, or $200 for 200MB; overages are $5.12/MB

TMO
- No international plans, pay as you go only
- Canada: $10/MB
- All other: $15/MB

Sprint
- No international plans, pay as you go only: $19.50/MB

Last edited by jg70124; May 31, 2011 at 1:05 pm
Old May 31, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
What's always really bugged me about international data rates is the explanation I've always gotten from CSRs about the rationale behind the pricing. It's always some variant of: "Don't blame us: The foreign carriers set the rates for international roamers on their networks, and we have gone out of our way to negotiate their insane rates down to something semi-reasonable for our customers."

However in the instance of Verizon, they have a 55% stake in Vodafone. My Droid 2 Global even came with a Vodafone SIM card out of the box. So have they been negotiating these rates...with themselves?

At least we don't have state-to-state roaming charges in the US. I believe European carriers charge international roaming rates for folks travelling to other EU nations. So if I were to travel from France to Germany for a day-trip, I'd still have to pay that insane global-roaming rate.

I understand that the carriers are trying to protect their networks from folks downloading hundreds of GBs of data a month, but the whole practice reeks of a shameless cash grab. Aaaand there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.