Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Yuengling
I called when I got back to take it off (under the assumption that I had used around 25 megs) and the CSR told me that I had used more like 54 mg. At that point, the cheapest thing to do was to leave the 50 mg/$30 plan on for the entire month and pay $4/mg in overage charges for the extra 4 mg ($16 total).
You guys won't believe this (okay - maybe you will). When I got my bill yesterday, it had the global data charge for the entire month AND STILL had 35 megs of overage at $4/meg = $140.

I called and was frustrated but was keeping my cool with the CSR until she said that their hands were tied on the overage charges "because that's what Italy charges us!" Absolute bull.

After about 5 minutes of heated discussion, the CSR still had no explanation on why I was being charged overages on something I had paid for outright. The end result is that I was issued a manual bill credit for $140.

AT&T looks slightly better on international data, http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/in...kages.jsp#data, but the US companies apparently have no desire to be competitive with domestically acquired SIMs.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
I've never really understood the whole Verizon argument of "Yeah we just pass through what Vodaphone charges us in Europe".

Vodaphone? You mean the same Vodaphone that owns 45% of your company and whose logo appears on your SIM cards? That Vodaphone?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:42 pm

The GSM foundation originally had a rule that roaming wouldn't exceed wholesale plus 15%. Then, they abrogated it. The EU has strict limits on roaming rates, but we are obviously not members of the EU. Thst said, you'd think the US providers could have a great deal of bargaining power and could get European carriers to give them similar deals if they were willing to reciprocate.

Look at the data rates offered by Austria Telecom d/b/a abroadband.com.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The billing seems totally screwed for these plans for those of us who are on the 250mb plan now and were formally unlimited. I'm going to escalate this after the holidays but I noticed this and last month were over $500 despite having a GlobalEmail charge. Rather angering.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:45 pm

Bumping this thread from the grave, but it looks like Verizon might have updated their International Roaming Data packages to simply $25/100MB. And after talking to a CSR, increments beyond the first 100MB can be pro-rated.

Seems like this could be a better deal; anyone got any thoughts? Has anyone used it yet?
Old May 2, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Need unlimited back
Old May 2, 2012, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by chanp
Need unlimited back
You are correct. The new deal came into place last week. It is not for every country, but includes cruise ships.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Bumping this thread from the grave, but it looks like Verizon might have updated their International Roaming Data packages to simply $25/100MB. And after talking to a CSR, increments beyond the first 100MB can be pro-rated.

Seems like this could be a better deal; anyone got any thoughts? Has anyone used it yet?
It looks similar, if not identical to the prepaid iPad plans. Not as it was, but I think a big improvement. I was always a lot more concerned about some kind of a mistake that lead to a huge bill than paying whatever the typical bill would be. If they make it hard to go over, which they seem to be doing (correct me if I am wrong on this) that is a big improvement from my perspective.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
It looks similar, if not identical to the prepaid iPad plans. Not as it was, but I think a big improvement. I was always a lot more concerned about some kind of a mistake that lead to a huge bill than paying whatever the typical bill would be. If they make it hard to go over, which they seem to be doing (correct me if I am wrong on this) that is a big improvement from my perspective.
From what the CSR told me, after you pass the 100MB threshold, you'll be automatically billed another $25 for your next 100MB of usage. However, you can call up Verizon and pro-rate that $25 if you only use some small portion of your second 100MB

So it's not automatic, but at least it does help alleviate the "Oops I went over my limit, better get out my wallet" mistake.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
From what the CSR told me, after you pass the 100MB threshold, you'll be automatically billed another $25 for your next 100MB of usage. However, you can call up Verizon and pro-rate that $25 if you only use some small portion of your second 100MB

So it's not automatic, but at least it does help alleviate the "Oops I went over my limit, better get out my wallet" mistake.
That is a very positive change for me. I would be happy to pay $100 or whatever if I really needed it. It's the $1800 by accident that worried me.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:31 pm

I agree. I wish they I could leave it on and not be charged anything if I use zero roaming megs. My iPad has data roaming turned off. I would rather set it so the meter starts running when I turn it on and connect to a foreign tower.
Old May 4, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Interestingly, the VZW SIM cards now seem to work in non-VZW phones when roaming on these plans. I found this very interesting as for years they didn't. Used it in my (normal UK) SGSII and it worked a treat. I'd love to buy a regular non-worldphone for US use and use just the SIM ex-US. I suppose with a primary non-worldphone though it'd kick me off my grandfathered GlobalData though.
Old May 4, 2012, 2:07 pm

Does anyone know if VZW will drop the grandfathered unlimited plan when the contract is up for renewal?
Old May 5, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
yes they will
Originally Posted by tlott
Does anyone know if VZW will drop the grandfathered unlimited plan when the contract is up for renewal?
Old May 5, 2012, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by tlott
Aren't you better pushing for an early renewal ('wanting a new phone') or something and see if the mindlessly extend your contract?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.