Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Aren't you better pushing for an early renewal ('wanting a new phone') or something and see if the mindlessly extend your contract?
That would be great if they would. Let us know if you go this route and it works.
Old May 6, 2012, 3:13 pm

Theoretically it is the same route, but I think that from a psychological point of view, it makes it easier to fly under the radar.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by tlott
Does anyone know if VZW will drop the grandfathered unlimited plan when the contract is up for renewal?
VZW's general policy is that retaining a legacy plan has nothing to do with whether or not you're on a contract. Don't specifically know about Unlimited Global, but lots of people with the domestic grandfathered unlimited data are off-contract (i.e., month-to-month because their contracts are long-expired). VZW reps have repeatedly told me that this is the policy, but of course, there's no contract and they're free to change it whenever they want. But this has long been the policy and it's nothing new (I was on a legacy voice plan for years).
Old May 9, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I was told that upon expiration of my contract date, regardless of renewal, the grandfathered plan would indeed be cancelled. This was from a fairly senior corporate guy, so more than just a random CSR
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:12 pm

Has anyone on the legacy data plans had luck switching to a new handset? I bought a SGS3 as soon as they enabled it as a global phone but using the online tool it tries to make me switch data plans. Turns out my handset had a bad esn so I had to send it back but I was surprised it wouldn't just let me switch like it did before when alternating between handsets.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
From what I have heard, to keep your existing plans you have to buy phones at full retail price from VZ. Getting them at contract from VZ, or from a 3rd party, will trigger the requirement to change.

I will be deciding what to do in April.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
From what I have heard, to keep your existing plans you have to buy phones at full retail price from VZ. Getting them at contract from VZ, or from a 3rd party, will trigger the requirement to change.

That is absolutely what they are saying about keeping domestic unlimited data, but I thought Verizon was kicking everyone off the unlimited data feature. My understanding was that folks who voluntarily agreed to downgrade to 250 megs a month global data would get a $700 credit towards a tablet (other than an iOS device).
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:19 am

That is absolutely what they are saying about keeping domestic unlimited data, but I thought Verizon was kicking everyone off the unlimited data feature. My understanding was that folks who voluntarily agreed to downgrade to 250 megs a month global data would get a $700 credit towards a tablet (other than an iOS device).
I got a letter & email that my unlimited global data plan was being discontinued in January and replaced with a 250mb plan. I have 2 devices (wife + myself) and went ahead and changed to a new phone with the 250mb plan and left the unlimited global on hers. We will see what happens with hers this month. Did not sound like there was any flexibility in the global unlimited being discontinued.

The email I received:

Dear Verizon Wireless Customer,
We want to confirm that your Global Data plan has been discontinued. It will be removed from your account at the start of your January bill cycle.
Your Global Data plan will be replaced with the following:

A $29.99 monthly Unlimited Email and Web plan for domestic use

A new $30 monthly Global Data plan with 250 MB allowance for international use
(If you currently have the Global Value plan, the Global Data plan will cost $34.99 a month)

If you exceed your 250 MB global data allowance, you will be billed overage rates of $0.002/KB ($2.05/MB) in Canada and $0.005/KB ($5.12/MB) in countries other than Canada. This change will take effect at the start of your January bill cycle. Please note: if you upgrade your device at discounted pricing, you will not be able to keep Unlimited data and must choose from currently available pricing.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:02 pm

Amazing that they won't give you the benefit of the global data pack rates for overages.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:32 pm

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; GT-I9300 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

The credit was a one time offer it seems.
That Sucks that they're actively cancelling the plans now if that email is true. V disappointing.
I think the att plans for global data are a better value now actually. Plus I will only need one handset globally instead of a separate us one in addition to my UK handset. When I get this email I guess it's goodbye to 15 years of vzw.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:35 pm

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; GT-I9300 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

He biggest loss is that there were countries originally in the vzw unlimited global that aren't in any bundles now. So there's no reasonable option. Iirc Korea fits this, as well as some African countries I've been to recently. :/
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:57 pm

I understand that. I guess what I was saying is suppose you are going to the Western Europe and you have the plan. You know that you are probably going to go through your 250 megs. I wonder if you can still buy a 125 megs of roaming data from Verizon rather than paying the 15 cents a kilobyte.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:45 pm

I understand that. I guess what I was saying is suppose you are going to the Western Europe and you have the plan. You know that you are probably going to go through your 250 megs. I wonder if you can still buy a 125 megs of roaming data from Verizon rather than paying the 15 cents a kilobyte.
I assume they would but the wording of that email was just incomplete. Seems odd they would actively prevent buying the bundles...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
That's correct. As long as you don't renew your contract, you'l be grandfathered. You *can* change your plan - just not your contract. I have three lines currently grandfathered for 4G mobile data... one is using about 100GB/month to power an office. Would run hundreds of dollars per month if not grandfathered!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:51 am

In response to #209,

Maybe this is off topic, but TMobile has an absolutely unlimited HSPA+ plan for $70. I'm wondering whether it can be used with tethering or a hotspot. I'm wondering whether this can be used for someone who has a need for your kind of usage for a month or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.