Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by MikeyC
I cancelled my $65 unlimited plan +/- 10 days ago. Curious if those of you that "got the plan back" had to fight for it or if it was fairly simple to "uncancel"...

Would love to know! Thanks!!
Did someone get theirs back? I thought they were told no way to do it?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Did someone get theirs back? I thought they were told no way to do it?
I'm gonna find out in about a week.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm. I have not done 100 mb in a month from what I can tell.
I've done in 10 days about 266mb. This new stuff may kill me next week!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:44 am

Called today to switch, no dice. Will use my device on wifi when possible for data and use local sim cards when I travel.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Thumbs down Shame on VZW

Just learned about this sleight of hand today when calling in advance of my upcoming trip to Spain.

One would think that prior users of the global data plan would have been offered some notice of the intent to cancel it.

As others have suggested, one would also think that VZW would want to make some "unlimited" plan available, even if aggressively priced. At least it would offer certainty.

When I travel abroad usually about once a year, my mobile is my GPS map. It's a secure feeling to have that right in hand and I rely on it constantly. But I now have no idea what the capability would cost, and the VZW bubblehead who took my call had no clue either. I'm not prepared to take the chance of incurring exorbitant charges.

Net to VZW, at least in my case but I'd bet in others as well: no revenue at all instead of some set amount.

Way to go. And if someone can offer an alternative superior to the static and fairly low-res maps available on the MapDroyd app, I'm all ears.

--mcz

PS: VZW, my contract ends in 10 months. That's how long you have to end this gouge and earn my business back.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:15 pm

IPhone trip? The Sim will work with other PDAs. A local prepaid would be even cheaper.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: MVPG75K/Boardroom
The way Verizon did this really *$*&!s me off. I called to change back to domestic data after a trip in January, 3 days before this happened. They didn't say anything. Really dirty. Any way, they aren't the first, nor will they be the last company act this way. Nothing can be done except to move on.

My question - has anyone come across any reasonable alternatives for international (Europe/Asia) data now that Verizon has done this?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:13 pm

[QUOTE=wind6765;15836136]The way Verizon did this really *$*&!s me off. I called to change back to domestic data after a trip in January, 3 days before this happened. They didn't say anything. Really dirty. Any way, they aren't the first, nor will they be the last company act this way. Nothing can be done except to move on.

My question - has anyone come across any reasonable alternatives for international (Europe/Asia) data now that Verizon has done this?[/ilQUOTE]

TMobile's Email only plan is all that I think is left. ATT may have an unlimited Blackberry only plan for Foundation Accounts left.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by wind6765
The way Verizon did this really *$*&!s me off. I called to change back to domestic data after a trip in January, 3 days before this happened. They didn't say anything. Really dirty. Any way, they aren't the first, nor will they be the last company act this way. Nothing can be done except to move on.

My question - has anyone come across any reasonable alternatives for international (Europe/Asia) data now that Verizon has done this?
5 quid for 500 mb on orange in the uk
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by wind6765
I'm wondering the same thing. I just bought a D2 Global in and had planned on the international data plan that coworkers have used regularly in the past. When I found out that they discontinued this plan I returned the phone (lucky that I found out in the return window).

So now I'm looking for a cost effective solution for an upcoming trip to Europe where I'll be traveling for about 4 weeks through a few different countries. It seems that the other local options are all specific for one country, but hoping I might have overlooked something that would allow me to (data) roam cheaply through a few countries in western Europe, without having to buy a new card every couple of days.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I unleashed on VZW and threatened to cancel my account (which really wasn't an idle threat as I cannot sustain paying on a regular basis - I would have paid the cancellation fee and gone to ATT).

Customer retention added it back to my account - bear in mind though that I do have a corporate account association attached to my account.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I unleashed on VZW and threatened to cancel my account (which really wasn't an idle threat as I cannot sustain paying on a regular basis - I would have paid the cancellation fee and gone to ATT).

Customer retention added it back to my account - bear in mind though that I do have a corporate account association attached to my account.
Congrats. You got lucky.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: Jetblue Mosaic, Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
This screwed me over in India last week. $25/MB is awful. Thank god I enabled RoamFreely as soon as I got the text message that $50 had been charged. Didn't even think to check before I left, had the global plan on exactly for occasions like this. Apparently I missed the cancellation memo.

EDIT: FLyAO2, I also have a corporate association. Will call Verizon and yell a bit. Am up for upgrade (waiting on Thunderbolt) but I think switching to AT&T for Atrix is a credible threat.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:19 am

I'm getting my unlimited global data back as well. I have a Tour and will have to activate it permanently until a newer device comes out. I tried the D2 global and didnt like it. I can get it back on, but needs to be a world device, and not my droid. There is a $65 and a 70 plan, but they can not activate the 70 plan on my droid, as its only cdma. Wish vzw had a 4g world device out already. I got it done, thru a manager at a store locally, who I send tons of business to. I think it can be done folks, stay persistent.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by chanp
I'm getting my unlimited global data back as well. I have a Tour and will have to activate it permanently until a newer device comes out. I tried the D2 global and didnt like it. I can get it back on, but needs to be a world device, and not my droid. There is a $65 and a 70 plan, but they can not activate the 70 plan on my droid, as its only cdma. Wish vzw had a 4g world device out already. I got it done, thru a manager at a store locally, who I send tons of business to. I think it can be done folks, stay persistent.
Outstanding. I am headed to the UK this weekend. Time to give it a try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.