Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by chanp
Majority of my time abroad is in the UK. I pay 5 quid a month for I think 2gb (Orange). Its enough for me. Even if I go to say France or Germany or somewhere else, Ill try to wifi it.
Yep my main use case is for random places like Sub-saharan Africa. Going to Gabon I can chew up a gig in a couple weeks, which is prohibitively expensive under the new plan or any prepaid cards I can find.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Yep my main use case is for random places like Sub-saharan Africa. Going to Gabon I can chew up a gig in a couple weeks, which is prohibitively expensive under the new plan or any prepaid cards I can find.
That it would be. Were you the one that was offered a tab and/or a money offer?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by chanp
That it would be. Were you the one that was offered a tab and/or a money offer?
Yep. The tablet offer is definitely off the table (and would have required a new line which I'm not terribly keen on), but there's still a bit of money to be had if you are nice. YMMV.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Verizon has updated their global data feature. Asia and Middle East have been restored to the list, and pricing has been adjusted to the following:

50 MB $30/month
150 MB $75/month
300 MB $125/month

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Glo..._coverage.html
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by R U?
Verizon has updated their global data feature. Asia and Middle East have been restored to the list, and pricing has been adjusted to the following:

50 MB $30/month
150 MB $75/month
300 MB $125/month

Not bad for a BB. Awful for an Android it iPhone though.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by R U?

50 MB $30/month
150 MB $75/month
300 MB $125/month

I have a 10 day trip to Chile coming up - and Chile is *not* on the list of served countries. Does that mean I'll be paying the pay-per-use fee of $20.48/MB? If so, that basically means no data during my trip. (I found the absolute minimum data I can get to is about 25-30 MB/week with everything turned off, which would be about $1100 on pay-per-use).

Edited to add: ATT does offer their global data package for Chile, so if it turns out that Verizon is if fact pay-per-use only for Chile, I guess I'll have to switch. ($200 ETF vs $600 data bill). It's too bad - I much prefer Verizon coverage and customer service to ATT.

Last edited by jg70124; Oct 3, 2011 at 8:59 pm
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
I'm OK with this update. I'm definitely willing to spend $75-$125 to avoid the hassle of dealing with SIM cards.

However I'm a modest data user in general. Even at full-tilt data use I only chew up about 75-90mb/month.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Just a quick report back on my experience - I added international data for a 2 week trip to Italy. Based on my domestic usage, I ordered the 50 mg for $30/month plan.

I called when I got back to take it off (under the assumption that I had used around 25 megs) and the CSR told me that I had used more like 54 mg. At that point, the cheapest thing to do was to leave the 50 mg/$30 plan on for the entire month and pay $4/mg in overage charges for the extra 4 mg ($16 total).

It would have been slightly cheaper to switch to the 150 mg/$75 retroactively for 2 weeks, but the CSR was not able to do that.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Yuengling
Just a quick report back on my experience - I added international data for a 2 week trip to Italy. Based on my domestic usage, I ordered the 50 mg for $30/month plan.

I called when I got back to take it off (under the assumption that I had used around 25 megs) and the CSR told me that I had used more like 54 mg. At that point, the cheapest thing to do was to leave the 50 mg/$30 plan on for the entire month and pay $4/mg in overage charges for the extra 4 mg ($16 total).

It would have been slightly cheaper to switch to the 150 mg/$75 retroactively for 2 weeks, but the CSR was not able to do that.
Useful data point. What kind of phone was it? Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
What kind of phone was it?
BB 9630. I'm a very light data user, but I guess I was doing more searches for directions, restaurant reviews, etc. while I was traveling.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

That price makes me glad I have the TIM prepaid SIM card for Italy. Ouch.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:23 pm

BB 9630. I'm a very light data user, but I guess I was doing more searches for directions, restaurant reviews, etc. while I was traveling.
That seems like a lot. I had a 9650 and used about a mb a day. I wonder if it was something with location services that was constantly polling?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I was in Ireland a few weeks back, landed Sunday at 8AM and left Thursday at 12PM. During this time, on a BB9930, I used about 25mb. Mostly some light web surfing, email, BBM, and GPS/maps somewhat heavily.

I made it a point to connect to wifi whenever available (if I would be somewhere for more than an hour, i'd see if they had wifi, and most places do).
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:21 am

For some users, it might be worth looking at abroadband.com which is 59 euro cents a meg in most countries. You can definitely beat the rates, but if you are trying to do avoid consistent SIM swapping, it has some advantages. I'm not sure whether they are Blackberry friendly or not. As most people know, Blackberries require the data connection to have an APN capable of connecting directly back to the Blackberry server.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
I have had similar experiences with my overseas usage. When predicting your usage during travel, its best to allow for double your normal usage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.