No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more unlimited [int'l] BB data from VZW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
This is terrible terrible. I have used this regularly for the past few years, first with my Storm and then with D2G. It was truly a great feature - my phone was my GPS all over the world. One big reason, I was a Verizon fan is over. Not sure what I am gonna do now with a trip to AMS next month. Again,
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP - US CP
I've had an international data plan on my BB since Verizon introduced the 8830. Before that I used an AT&T Blackberry for international and VZW in the US. I never shut off the global data plan since I travel outside of the US every few months and didn't think it fair to screw Verizon out of a few dollars.

While I am grandfathered for unlimited global data on my current D2G, the lack of warning for global plan users was despicable and unfair to those who bought new global phones with the reasonable expectation of inexpensive access to unlimited global data. I would not be surprised to see a class action suit.

I was about to buy a Verizon iPhone at full retail to swap back and forth with the D2G, but at this point, I've decided to get an AT&T iPhone. Its not what Verizon did, it is the way they did it that has soured me against the company.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Im still cogitating on this a bit. Im not happy about it but I dont think is is that bad for BB users in Europe for instance. It may actually be cheaper than the old plan. Even Asia is probably tolerable for me. It will keep me from touching and Android phone outside of the US though. Sort of ironic since they just introduced some international ones.
Possibly true for Europe and non-US Americas, but really lousy for the more obscure places. I suspect my savings on data in sub-Saharan Africa last year more than covered the cost of the entire year's plan. I guess I'll hang on to my plan now and see if anything better develops over the next year, though not holding my breath.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:41 pm
aly

^well, before anyone cancels their plan pls let me know, would be willing to take it off your hands..
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I do quite a bit of international travel so have been turning on/off the global data plan for my Blackberry. I called up on Jan 25 to turn it back on. Told the agent what I wanted and he set it up for me. Then I get a call back and say the pricing has changed to the new structure. I am told the pricing for Europe applies to Asia also. After debating about it I suck it up and sign up for the 70MB plan. I contemplate about it for a bit then think heck my friend has an iPhone in 2 of the countries I will be going to. Hence I call back VZ and ask them to cancel that request. Yes this sucks that the unlimited global data is gone, and quite frankly it seems like a step backwards if you ask me since so many own smartphones these days.

I guess with this change in place it won't be so difficult to accept a CDMA iPhone next week
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Im still cogitating on this a bit. Im not happy about it but I dont think is is that bad for BB users in Europe for instance. It may actually be cheaper than the old plan.
I don't think so. My current bill includes 6 days spent outside the USA, some in Canada but mostly in Europe. I consumed more than 100MB in that time. On the old plan it would have cost me ~$55 based on pro-rating the on/off time for global versus BES service or, at worst, $65. Under the new plan I'd pay $45 + $100 for the 75MB plan plus the overage charges. There's no way that is a better deal.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by sbm12
Im still cogitating on this a bit. Im not happy about it but I dont think is is that bad for BB users in Europe for instance. It may actually be cheaper than the old plan.
I don't think so. My current bill includes 6 days spent outside the USA, some in Canada but mostly in Europe. I consumed more than 100MB in that time. On the old plan it would have cost me ~$55 based on pro-rating the on/off time for global versus BES service or, at worst, $65. Under the new plan I'd pay $45 + $100 for the 75MB plan plus the overage charges. There's no way that is a better deal.
Hmm. I have not done 100 mb in a month from what I can tell.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not terribly hard with Google Maps and such. Or god forbid an Android handset, which make it so easy to chew up massive amounts of data.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
If I owned a VZW BlackBerry, I'd be asking them about this report:

No horizon for Verizon iPhone data

Excerpt:

The Verizon iPhone is arriving next month with one feature consumers won't get through AT&T: an unlimited data plan.

Verizon Wireless confirmed yesterday that it will offer all the streaming content a user can download for $30 a month.

Its main rival and the only other carrier of the iPhone, AT&T, stopped signing up new customers to its unlimited plan last summer. AT&T now offers tiered pricing plans that charge more for more data used.

Verizon's unlimited deal won't last forever, however. The company said it will eventually follow AT&T's lead and move to tiered pricing. Still, customers will be able to continue on the unlimited data plan until they sign up for a new deal.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1CSDgvhmi

Last edited by Landing Gear; Jan 29, 2011 at 3:08 pm
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by BobbySteel

It's not terribly hard with Google Maps and such. Or god forbid an Android handset, which make it so easy to chew up massive amounts of data.
I don't use Google maps on my 9650 buy I can see that. As I noted upthread this is terrible for Android and ironic that they just started pushing international Android headsets and it's going to be difficult to use internationally as a result if this.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
If I owned a VZW BlackBerry, I'd be asking them about this report:

No horizon for Verizon iPhone data
Right, but that is domestic, not international. Big difference. The VZW rep I've been working with to pre-order an iPhone for my wife confirmed that the initial launch will have a $30 unlimited plan but that it will go away at some indeterminate time.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Right, but that is domestic, not international. Big difference. The VZW rep I've been working with to pre-order an iPhone for my wife confirmed that the initial launch will have a $30 unlimited plan but that it will go away at some indeterminate time.
Okay.

In other matters, you don't need a rep unless you have a business account.

If you have a consumer account and you responded to the VZW email about the iPhone, you should have received an email last night with further instructions (basically a link that you could click next Thursday at 3:00 AM to buy the phone).

Last edited by Landing Gear; Jan 29, 2011 at 10:10 pm
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles
I guess VZW's international roaming suppliers increased costs or VZW sucks at negotiating wholesale rates. The new improved global ALL-IP GRX roaming architecture in 3GPP and 3GPP2 actually should decrease their costs with new technology. I guess this is more of a profit-sucking VZW move. No more VZW advantage over AT&T now that AT&T has improved their service (and improving even further like places in NYC, I have some info on that should be done by the summer...).
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Okay.

In other matters, you don't need a rep unless you have a business account.
I don't have a business account but I was still working with a rep to get it. Eventually VZW decided to pull that ability from their front-line reps but it was nice while it lasted. I know about the 3am bit.

And we're completely off-topic.
Originally Posted by willzzz88
I guess this is more of a profit-sucking VZW move.
Agreed. I'm just glad I got exempted in based on having the plan already. I'd be incredibly annoyed right now had I not.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:01 pm

I cancelled my $65 unlimited plan +/- 10 days ago. Curious if those of you that "got the plan back" had to fight for it or if it was fairly simple to "uncancel"...

Would love to know! Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.