Reload this Page >

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I've always liked the luggage the flight crew use, it's attractive and durable, with great features. (This is different luggage than the "consumer" TravelPro products.) Plus, with a price under $140, you don't need to worry about a warranty.

http://www.crewgear.com/default.asp?...&WCE=TPCREW22N

http://www.flightattendantshop.com/p.../nid/6/pid/469
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Travelpro bags arent very good.

Wheels became loose n squeaky.
Handle came off during a trip!!
This was only after 2 years of use.
Zipper handle came off as well.
I am sorry to hear you are having problems. Feel free to contact our Customer Service Department for assistance at (800) 741-7471 8:30a-5:00p M-F.

Let them know you are from Flyertalk
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Travelpro bags arent very good.

Wheels became loose n squeaky.
Handle came off during a trip!!
This was only after 2 years of use.
Zipper handle came off as well.

I've had mine heavily used for 4 years now with no issues.. crew 2 I think.. 20" also have a crew 5 22" but it's too big especially with crj's.. I'm actually thinking about getting an 18" (although they don't seem to have a crew one) just to see if it would fit on more of those weird crj's w/ delta.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:37 pm

Travelpro experience

I'm on my third Travelpro rollaboard (over about 15 years) and my only complaint is that the zipper handles fall off or are knocked off easily. Seems the "slider" that holds the handle has too large a gap, so the handles easily slip off. If I think of it in time, I use pliers to close that gap a bit, but it isn't always effective...somehow if I check the bag, something snags it or TSA inspectors yank hard enough to remove the handles.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
My entire family flies with Tumi and we're always happy with them. We have some older versions, and some new, and we have certainly gotten our money's worth. They are very durable, sturdy, and look good too!

My only issue is that Tumi seems to push it with size- alot of their "carry on" bags are 22" (or more), and on some planes, this is just too big. A while back they started to make the bags wider as well- makes sense, but I fly on Air Canada's Embraer 190's alot, with small bins. All bags have to go in sideways, and anything over 15" wide does not go in- period.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Platinum, AA Gold, DL Reserve, Cayman Silver, Avis Pref
I have had Tumi product for years... the reason why I continue to purchase their products is because of the durability and customer service for the bag... I had a very old bag that the strap and side zip broke... I was passing a Tumi store and was going to purchase a new bag when the sales associate said for me to submit the bag for repairs... Keep in mind I dont even think that I submitted a warranty for it. Within a few weeks the bag was mailed back to me repaired... just like new!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I just purchased two Travelpro Platinum 6 (not 7 but 6, which is a closeout) uprights. The uprights themselves look absolutely beautiful and appear to be constructed rather solidly. To my utter surprise, the handle on one of the uprights was defective and was sticking, such that it was next to impossible to open it and then took me about 20 minutes to close it.

I realize that lemons happen but just found it surprising that this happened on Travelpro's flagship product. Let's just hope that it's an aberration.

What I also found a little surprising is that the tracker system is only free for the first year. If you want it after that, you have to pay for it. Further, if the bags are recovered under that system, you have to pay for them to ship the bag back to you. Travelpro's competitors don't do that. For instance, Victorinox's Swiss Tracket system is totally free and you don't pay to have your bags shipped back to you. Overall, this whole tracking system issue is a relatively minor one, however.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by am1996
I just purchased two Travelpro Platinum 6 (not 7 but 6, which is a closeout) uprights. The uprights themselves look absolutely beautiful and appear to be constructed rather solidly. To my utter surprise, the handle on one of the uprights was defective and was sticking, such that it was next to impossible to open it and then took me about 20 minutes to close it.

I realize that lemons happen but just found it surprising that this happened on Travelpro's flagship product. Let's just hope that it's an aberration.

What I also found a little surprising is that the tracker system is only free for the first year. If you want it after that, you have to pay for it. Further, if the bags are recovered under that system, you have to pay for them to ship the bag back to you. Travelpro's competitors don't do that. For instance, Victorinox's Swiss Tracket system is totally free and you don't pay to have your bags shipped back to you. Overall, this whole tracking system issue is a relatively minor one, however.
Sorry to hear about your handle. This can be fixed by calling our Customer Service Department at (800) 741-7471 M-F 8:30a-5:00p EDT.

Let them know you are from Flyertalk.

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro Luggage
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Travelpro Luggage
Sorry to hear about your handle. This can be fixed by calling our Customer Service Department at (800) 741-7471 M-F 8:30a-5:00p EDT.

Let them know you are from Flyertalk.

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro Luggage
Thanks, Paul. I didn't want to have to worry about taking a brand new piece of luggage to a repair center and then waiting for a week or two for it to get fixed. So, I just had it shipped back to the retailer, which sent me a different piece. It should arrive today or tomorrow, so here's to hoping that this one won't be broken
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:55 am

Not all TravelPro Platinum bags are covered by lifetime warranty

It turns out that you need to be VERY careful and specific as to which TravelPro products you buy and when. NONE have a full lifetime warranty. I have a Platinum bag where the wheel came off and another line where the handle broke. When I called in for customer service to get my bags repaired, I had to send in photographs for them to identify and then got an email back that said "The wheels and handles are not covered under the warranty for this bag. The price for the wheels are $7.50/per wheel and $20.00/handle plus $5.00/S&H fee." The leather handle on my carry-on literally disintegrated and now I have to box it up, pay to ship it in and pay for the handle? Or have the handle shipped to me and pay to have someone else install it. That is not a lifetime warranty. I unfortunately did not keep the paperwork that came with the bags but even on their website, they do not mention that wheels and handles are not covered at all under the warranty: http://www.travelpro.com/warranty.cfm

Guess I'm switching to Briggs and Riley ...
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RLTaustin
The leather handle on my carry-on literally disintegrated... I unfortunately did not keep the paperwork that came with the bags but even on their website, they do not mention that wheels and handles are not covered at all under the warranty: http://www.travelpro.com/warranty.cfm
Sure it does. From your link:
The Travelpro® warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship but does not cover wear...

Certain component parts such as wheels, bumper feet, leather, etc., will show wear. This wear is not covered under the warranty. Travelpro® will provide prompt refurbishment services at a nominal cost.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:14 am

Hi TWA884, I can't tell if the difference of opinion comes from a semantic disagreement or from your not having my bags in front of you. :-) I have worn out wheels before and to me that's a much different issue than is the case here. To me, "showing wear" does not equate to having the entire wheel mechanism detach itself from the suitcase such that there is nowhere left to attach a new wheel. Similarly, I think it would be a stretch to characterize the disintegration of the leather handle as "normal wear." But I appreciate your reminder that not everyone (even outside of TravelPro) would view it similarly. I'm still not buying any more TravelPro and would strongly recommend against trusting/expecting their warranties to cover the majority of potential issues with their bags. Best, Melissa
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:22 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RLTaustin
Hi TWA884, I can't tell if the difference of opinion comes from a semantic disagreement or from your not having my bags in front of you. :-)
I read it like a lawyer. @:-)

I have replaced wheel assemblies and handles on TravelPro luggage. All it takes is a few minutes and a Phillips screwdriver. That's the great thing about TravelPro compared to manufacturers that use rivets. Simply unzip the lining and the screws are accessible. It is not a bad idea to tighten these screws every once in a while.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mattm
For what it's worth, the zipper on my TravelPro busted after 2 flights... getting the bag replaced at The bay in Canada was a nightmare that took several hours and took visits to several stores (and ended up just a refund).
It took 4 years for BA to get around to breaking the zipper pulls on my 26 or 27" B&R. It took CO about 15 years to do the same on my 20/22". I keep meaning to send it back for repair but between how useful the bags are and the hassle factor I'll probably never get around to it.

That said - I'm not really a fan of the latest B&R's. They don't seem to be as well built as they used to be.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: USAir:Chairmans MR: Platnium
Too funny

Originally Posted by BlueCat1105
Tumi is "the douche bag?" What does that mean? I don't know if I want to buy one if this is how they're known.
Great descriptions. Never had a TUMI, they look great and bet the quality is on par with a premium bag but, have noticed the people who have them are usually the "Look at my 1st class ticket" type. Not all but just enough to make me avoid the brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.