Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: 1K, Marriott-Gold
The "suits w/ no ties" comment made me laugh. It's the little details that convey a story. Along with the copy of Men's Health and an arsenal of viewpoints on what everyone else is doing incorrectly...

But I have to say the Tumis at least show a knowledge of decent luggage, no? I think the Louis Vuittons and such are near the peak of ostentatious conveyances. Not only do they say "look at me" without saying "please", they say to the unsavory characters "please steal me as I can fetch a decent price on eBay and I am most likely carrying other valuables!"
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:39 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I was comparing the exterior (well, basically just the handle) of a friend's B&R to my Tumi recently. A couple of things I noticed that I preferred on his - his handle was much longer than mine and I'm tall so would appreciate that; the handle seemed much more durably made and more comfortable in my hand; and the external handle with the little pocket on the outside between seemed to make it more functional (don't know about the not fitting in bins part, but it didn't seem to be much deeper than mine and I always seem to have 1-2" to spare on top in a bin).

How the bag rolls and how long the handle is are fairly important considerations to me. I would pull each a bit and see how they feel to you.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have to confess

Stealing the "Men's Health" line from someone else in the thread "What kind of person buys Tumi". Im sorry, it was too good a line to resist
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I was comparing the exterior (well, basically just the handle) of a friend's B&R to my Tumi recently. A couple of things I noticed that I preferred on his - his handle was much longer than mine and I'm tall so would appreciate that; the handle seemed much more durably made and more comfortable in my hand; and the external handle with the little pocket on the outside between seemed to make it more functional (don't know about the not fitting in bins part, but it didn't seem to be much deeper than mine and I always seem to have 1-2" to spare on top in a bin).

How the bag rolls and how long the handle is are fairly important considerations to me. I would pull each a bit and see how they feel to you.
The length of the handle depends on the size of the bag (inside measurements). If they are both the same size and both mount to 90 degree (L shape) angled bottoms, then the handle length can/should be the same.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:53 am

I hate to say it but I think I'm leaning toward the Tumi T-Tech Presidio even if it is a douche bag...
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
If they are both the same size and both mount to 90 degree (L shape) angled bottoms, then the handle length can/should be the same.
I would disagree with this. Most handles telescope and then they usually lock at 2 different lengths, so it depends on where the manufacturer aligns those stops. My boyfriend and I each have 25" Baselines, but mine is much older and the handles do not lock in the same place.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by wcj1
I would disagree with this. Most handles telescope and then they usually lock at 2 different lengths, so it depends on where the manufacturer aligns those stops. My boyfriend and I each have 25" Baselines, but mine is much older and the handles do not lock in the same place.
All handles telescope and some even have 3 stops. Your 25" bag has a 2 stage handle. The fully extended length should be the same if the bags are the same size. If not, then one of them was built incorrectly.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
All handles telescope and some even have 3 stops. Your 25" bag has a 2 stage handle. The fully extended length should be the same if the bags are the same size. If not, then one of them was built incorrectly.
This is simply not correct. My B&R rolling cabin bag is barely half the height of my 22 inch B&R roller but the handles extend to about the same height. The shorter bag just has more sections in the handle so it compacts more than the handle on the larger bag.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
This is simply not correct. My B&R rolling cabin bag is barely half the height of my 22 inch B&R roller but the handles extend to about the same height. The shorter bag just has more sections in the handle so it compacts more than the handle on the larger bag.
What's not correct about my post? I was talking about 2, 25" Baseline Uprights from the previous post and the fully extended handle length. Nowhere was I comparing a Roller (5 stage handle) and a 22" Upright (3 stage handle). Of course both of those should extend to the same (or almost the same height), just like your 22" should extend to the same/similar height as the 25" upright. Line up all your different sized wheeled luggage. The fully extended handle height for all of them should all be within 1"-2" of each other.

Last edited by SaigonCyclo; Oct 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:12 pm

For what it's worth, the zipper on my TravelPro busted after 2 flights... getting the bag replaced at The bay in Canada was a nightmare that took several hours and took visits to several stores (and ended up just a refund).

No problems with my Redoxx bag.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:52 pm

I've got a travelpro 8, i've had it about 10 months, i fly just about every week on Delta and gate check the bag, it still looks amazing. I've been very happy with it
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:00 pm

I own a Tumi Alpha and I have to say that I'm very disappointed. Someone on an earlier thread stated that it has a tendancy "to lean forward", well from my experience more often than not it falls flat on its face, which is a real pain. For such a high end product it is badly designed, apart from constantly toppling over the front pockets have no compartments, key loops etc. Im thinking of junking it and trying an alternative brand.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:50 am

Travelpro bags arent very good.

Wheels became loose n squeaky.
Handle came off during a trip!!
This was only after 2 years of use.
Zipper handle came off as well.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:53 am
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Just pony up the dough and purchase a Rimowa.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:56 am
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by palmetto86
While I don't think I fall into this category of Tumi bag owners, I do feel like many, many of this "type" carry Tumi bags. The bags are expensive, they do look nice, and tacitly say "look at me," so it's easy to understand why the "douche" business traveler is drawn to the brand.
Tumi is actually the one out of those three I have seen up close and like the build quality of the most.

Also, I don't think that Tumi is a "look at me brand". Rimowa Topas or Louis Vuitton - yes, Tumi - no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.