Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Have long been a fan of vintage luggage but for obvious reasons I almost never travel with it. Ten years ago I switched (from Hartmann) to B&R for everyday use and while it does have a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty I haven't had to use it once. The stuff is simply indestructible.

As someone commented upthread it is a tad on the mundane side wrt appearance but that also suits me fine, so to speak. I'm not trying to make a statement when travelling; I'm trying to get to my destination with my luggage intact. B&R has never let me down and I doubt it ever will.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by In2ishn
I bought a Travel Pro last October. I've had it on fewer than 15 trips of various lengths. A zipper snapped in half this morning. The bag was not overpacked, there was nothing to hang up the zipper. It just snapped leaving a jagged edge.

Grrr!
Contact Customer Service - they can help you with that - US Customer Service at (800) 741-7471 M-F 8:30a-5:00p

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro Luggage
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by Travelpro Luggage
Contact Customer Service - they can help you with that - US Customer Service at (800) 741-7471 M-F 8:30a-5:00p

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro Luggage
Thanks for the info. I will call.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by ilsie
I got the Tumi McNair leather brief in October, and in 3 months (January) the strap buckle started detaching itself from the bag.

I returned it to the store for repair two weeks ago and their repair center still hasn't logged it. When I asked where it is or when I'd get it back, they basically told me to f off, in so many words.
Chiming in on this thread because I had a different Tumi repair experience.

I have a 22" ballistic nylon Tumi rollaboard that I stole from the Tumi outlet for around $225. After a few years, the handle casing (where the handle telescopes into the suitcase) cracked and it became apparent that it was not going to last much longer. I feared that it would break on a trip and I'd have to ditch the bag.

I called Tumi and they sent out a replacement part within a matter of days. They told me to take the suitcase and part to a Tumi dealer (outlet store included) and the part would be replaced for me, free of charge. When the part arrived, it's installation was simple enough that I did it at home. The suitcase is now perfect again and handles like a dream.

Prior to becoming a Tumi aficionado, I had TravelPro and liked it very much; however, my suitcase (also a 22" rollaboard) was top heavy and constantly tipped over...always! VERY annoying.

My husband is a two million miler who has had numerous pieces of Briggs and Reilly and liked them very much. They always held up well. I, however, found them to be extremely heavy while empty (the same complaint I have with his current Hartmann luggage).

I have at least 10 pieces of Tumi, thanks to my close proximity to the outlet and my extreme bargain hunting skills Doubt I'd have as many if I had to pay full price, though.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:20 pm

TravelPro has problems with their handles for some reason...

Employer gave a new Travelpro bag but after a few trips, the handle starts to feel very shaky. My last bag had the handle come off on a trip.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
TravelPro has problems with their handles for some reason...

Employer gave a new Travelpro bag but after a few trips, the handle starts to feel very shaky. My last bag had the handle come off on a trip.
If you would like to speak with us in person, you can reach US Customer Service at (800) 741-7471. They are open M-F 8:30a-5:30p EST.

If you know what kind of bag you have, they can help you fix the problem.

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro Luggage
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:04 am

I have over a dozen pieces of Tumi and have used them over 18 years.

I've had no more than 5-6 repairs in approximately a million miles of travel.

While its true the newer stuff is not the equivalent of the older stuff its still as good or better than anything I've seen. I've never had a piece fail zipper- wheel any kind of basic functionality while in use, but I dont put off repair.

I also have a smattering of red Oxx and Tom Binh as well- both fantastic delivering the same "snap on" quality.

I find that Tumi repairs are quick (1-2 weeks) and fairly cheap usually around 25 dollars. Never had an issue anywhere I drop off a bag.

I had heard B&R once filed for Bankruptcy - is this true? - and if so during this period were "lifetime" free repairs honored or even chargeable services performed or were owners simply "out of luck" ?

The B&R and Travelpros look rugged, and guys that own them like them.

It just seems to me they dont seem to have the features & niceties that the Tumi's do nor do they seem to have the North American store availability Tumi does. I have to struggle to find either one where the Tumi stores stick out and when in a department store the Tumi section is always merchandised prominently.

Uncle Dave
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:59 pm

I've been thinking about purchasing an Alpha Continental. I'm intrigued by the Tegra-Lite, but it doesn't include a suitor section.

For those of you with an Alpha, do you use the suitor section? I'm going to be traveling Sunday night through Thursday, mostly domestically flying from NYC.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:35 pm

Found this thread (and site) doing a google search on the topic of luggage quality. Thought I'd chime in.

I've been a long time Tumi fan. Bought a garment back in the mid 90s, the thing was incredible. Used it every week traveling on business (well, probably 40-45 trips that year plus a few pleasure trips) and then sporadically for years after that and it still looks perfect.

But then I bought an expandable computer brief (ballistic) in 2003. In 2005 it needed a repair for something, don't remember what. Was under warranty, no problem. I thought when I'd bought it that it had a lifetime warranty but that might've changed by then. Anyway, 18 months ago it started fraying like crazy and a seam broke loose and the bag basically ripped at one point. Took it in and was very surprised and disappointed to discover it was going to cost me about $90 to fix it. "what happened to the lifetime warranty?" I asked. "that got changed a few years ago". Well, given the 'quality of this bag, I can understand why they and to change it.

Anyway, I anted up the money and got it fixed. But now a zipper is separating from the nylon, and it's still fraying like crazy. Basically, this is not a well made bag.

I'm bummed because I always thought Tumi pieces were very high quality and I love the look and functionality. But no more. They've lost me and I cannot recommend their stuff any longer. I've got a Victorinox toiletry bag that has had just incredible use. Probably been on several hundred trips, hauled all over the place, and once a year I just empty it out and throw it in the sink with a little warm water and soap and it comes out looking brand new. I think the next time I need some luggage, I'm going to try them. Their warranty is comparable to Briggs and Riley and I like the design of their pieces better, and they're cheaper.

But I'm done with Tumi. Their stuff has really gone downhill.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, the end of my Tumi relationship started when they showed up at my local Costco. I have several Tumi rollers from the mid 90's that are in better condition that the mid 2000 ones I got. B&R for me now.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:22 pm

How would you compare BR quality to Victorinox? Both warranties are superb.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott LtP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ZachAJ
I've been thinking about purchasing an Alpha Continental. I'm intrigued by the Tegra-Lite, but it doesn't include a suitor section.

For those of you with an Alpha, do you use the suitor section? I'm going to be traveling Sunday night through Thursday, mostly domestically flying from NYC.
I use my suitor section but I have an Expandable Alpha 22" and it works great for me. If I have to take more than one suit + multiple shirts, and the usual stuff I bring the garment bag. I don't travel as much as many of the people in here (maybe 50K/yr) but I like my alpha gear. Just for reference I check my bags probably half my flights and it still looks and has held up in great shape.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
I don't particularly care about warranties. For the most part I can't be bothered to deal with the returns.

I have had a Travelpro Crew 8 for over a year now and have been pleased. I tend to be hard on luggage, and it has stood up just fine. I expect to get several more years out of it.

For the price of one Tumi, I could buy three Travelpros. If it stands up well, I save money. If it falls apart, I get a shiny new one. While I do need something that lasts a decent amount of time, I don't need my luggage to last a lifetime.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:02 pm

I care about the warranty. A lot. And for a few different reasons.

First, look at Tumi. I think it's pretty clear why they went from a lifetime warranty to a very limited one. Their product quality went downhill and they were getting so many returns it was going to be prohibitively expensive to maintain the lifetime warranty.

To me, the warranty tells me a lot about how the manufacturer views the quality of their bag. A no bs lifetime warranty tells me they are confident in their quality. Do I want the bag to last forever? No. But I'd like to get 10 years of trouble free use from it.

Second, &*%^ happens. When it does, I want a manufacturer who will stand behind the product and make it as painless as possible for me to remedy the issue.

There are companies who sell quality merchandise at a very reasonable cost, and who DO offer lifetime warranties. Look at ebags and Eagle Creek, for example. You can get the best of both worlds. Affordable, well made stuff AND the solid warranty to back it up.

The Tumi bags I've bought in the past, I bought them because I figured those bags would last me so long and be so functional and enjoyable to use that it was worth the investment. With the garment bag I bought in the early 90s, that was absolutely the case. The briefcase I bought in 2003? Not even close.

If a company does not offer a lifetime warranty on their bag, I will not consider it for purchase.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by conejo23
To me, the warranty tells me a lot about how the manufacturer views the quality of their bag. A no bs lifetime warranty tells me they are confident in their quality. Do I want the bag to last forever? No. But I'd like to get 10 years of trouble free use from it.
I get what you are saying, but I don't have a problem buying a bag for 1/3 the price and have it last 5 years. Then instead of dealing with warranties I buy a new one for another 5 years. By the end we have had the same result, but I've saved 1/3 the cost and the time it takes to do the warranty/repair dance. Honestly, I don't care as much about the cost as I do the hassle of the return.

Of course you can't do this with a poor quality bag. To me, Travelrpro is middle of the road, not cheap but not rock solid. A good compromise in my eyes.

To each his own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.