Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi vs. Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley Quality

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by conejo23
Well now you're talking pro-grade vs commercial grade. Big difference.

Re Briggs and Riley, cmon, that's a cop out. Because it purportedly happened before Al Gore invented the Internet there's nothing online about it? There is plenty online about things that happened prior to the 90s. What is your source for this information? You repeat it as if it's fact, and perhaps it is, but if you don't have a source for it that is reputable, then it's not cool to be saying a company filed bankruptcy when you don't know that to be in fact true.
Pro grade commercial grade warranty is still 90 days on Sony monitors.

No cop out intended.

I guess everything that has ever happened ever is on the internet right?

I was told over 20 years ago that I couldn't get my bag fixed (see Im about 50 and have been traveling a long time) I had to pay to get it repaired from a luggage shop. Vs the vaunted fee lifetime repair.

Ive actually asked for confirmation several times on this site as well.

Old school travelers will confirm this was problem as well.

I'd still buy their bags if they suited me, but my point is the "printed warranty" isnt always worth the paper it was printed on.

My Honda CR-250 didnt come with a warranty at all- does that mean its junk?

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; Mar 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:02 pm

You're just being silly now and this discussion has become fruitless.

I'll ask it again, you're going around asserting that Briggs & Riley went bankrupt and defaulted on their warranty obligations at some point. That's a relatively serious allegation. Do you have any basis in fact on which to make that claim?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:04 pm

You're just being silly now and this discussion has become fruitless.

I'll ask it again, you're going around asserting that Briggs & Riley went bankrupt and defaulted on their warranty obligations at some point. That's a relatively serious allegation. Do you have any basis in fact on which to make that claim?

Yes - I was denied warranty coverage for free on those grounds.

Uncle Dave
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:09 pm

The "original" B&R was acquired by another company in the late 90's and it was around this time I had my issue.

UD
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
The "original" B&R was acquired by another company in the late 90's and it was around this time I had my issue.

UD
Really. I just took two bags to B&R for repairs. One was probably from about 1995 the other maybe late 90s. No questions asked except details of color style etc.

In looking it was acquired by another company in 2000. It doesnt seem to have effected their warranty.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Really. I just took two bags to B&R for repairs. One was probably from about 1995 the other maybe late 90s. No questions asked except details of color style etc.

I never had a problem before or after that issue, but I did have to pay that time to have a new wheel put on.

I suspect that at the time of the merger/ acquisition/ sale, or whatever B&R wants to call it there were some issues up in the air that likely werent settled and that during that time cases like mine were a bit up in the air.

Like I said I like B&R products and think their quality is good.

I just like my tumi stuff better.

My point in this thread is that quality or support isn't always directly related with the length of a warranty.

Id be totally PO'd if what happened to conejo happened to me, and I understand why he is taking the stance he is.

Heres a few of my pieces of Tumi.

Notice the 2 manilla tags. These pieces are well out of warranty and had minor issues and both were repaired absolutely free of charge from tumi.

Uncle Dave

Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:51 pm

My Tumi breaking down was actually a blessing. I always enjoyed using it, but now that I've got a laptop backpack, I wonder why I didn't switch to this earlier. Just fits me and my lifestyle so much easier.

And, now that I found the Tom Bihn site, my future luggage purchases, indeed, my entire packing strategy just changed on a dime. Definitely going to transition away both from checking luggage, and from using wheeled luggage at all.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:06 pm

My Tumi breaking down was actually a blessing. I always enjoyed using it, but now that I've got a laptop backpack, I wonder why I didn't switch to this earlier. Just fits me and my lifestyle so much easier.

And, now that I found the Tom Bihn site, my future luggage purchases, indeed, my entire packing strategy just changed on a dime. Definitely going to transition away both from checking luggage, and from using wheeled luggage at all.
Superb Product.

You should also look at Red Oxx products.

Under the circumstances you sent your Tumi back - Tom Binh would have likely denied you as well.

From Tom Binhs site-

Keep in mind that daypacks, messenger bags, and briefcases are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true-love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years of hard service.

Looks like tom Binh decides when you've had enough.

Must not be as good as Redd Oxx based on your prior posts.

Red Oxx has no such limitation stated.

Rocket Science?

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; Mar 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:18 pm

I have never heard of one single person who had a seam break loose or a zipper bust, even after 10 or more years of use, who sent their bag back to Tom Bihn and received a charge of a single cent. And I've read story after story of people who sent back 10+ year old bags that had something go wrong and in return got sent brand new bags. I'll take my chances.

18 months ago, my Tumi was clearly defective and I got charged over $100 to fix what Tumi should've paid for. My bag is clearly defective again and I'm not paying another flippin' cent on it. Tumi won't get another dime of my money.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:28 pm

Also, I looked at Red Oxx. By all accounts, they make a very nice bag. I took a good look at the Air Boss, but I just like the Tom Bihn Tri-Star better. To me, it's a more attractive bag, and I like the sealed zippers on the Tri Star. Not a fan of the exposed zippers on the Air Boss. And the Air Boss doesn't have backpack straps, so that's a deal breaker for me with this category of product.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:35 pm

To sum it up-

18 months ago your bag you bought in 2003 "let go" and isnt worth fixing (again/anymore) and Tumi wont replace it for free.

Your pisst, I get it I would be too, but you did get a reasonable lifespan out of your purchase.

Tom Binh is basically saying UP FRONT that nothing lasts forever.

I wouldnt bet on everything that happens with every client good or bad getting written down for you to personally review, and I think if you believe Ton Binh would just swap it out with a new bag - based on their own statements up front you may be in for big disappointment if you use it hard for 10 years.

They are telling you up front your bag has a finite life.

Redd Oxx - The airboss simply holds more that the aeronaught, not as pretty though, I love the zippers on the Tom Binh stuff and the Tom Binh strap puts the claw on the shelf. In Red Oxxs line if you want backpack straps you get a skytrain.

Uncle Dave
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:43 pm

To put a finer point on it, my Tumi briefcase started fraying badly about 3-4 years after I got it. I would cut the frays off so they wouldn't snag and pull out more, but it was disconcerting. I saw warning signs with the bag early, but by Oct 2010 it was just unusable. It's not like it was fun for 7 years and then boom, went south. It started 'eroding' after only a few years of use. Unacceptable.

The odds that I'll use the same Brain Bag for 10 years is pretty low. They'll come out with a new model and I'll probably sell the one I have now on eBay to help fund the purchase of the new one. But I have every confidence that this bag would absolutely last 10 years with reasonably hard use.

re Red Oxx, I think you might be confusing Tom Bihn products. the Aeronaut holds 2700 cubic inches compared to the Air Boss' 2200. It's the Tri Star that holds a bit less, at 2000. Again, the point is moot, if I get a bag in this category it's gotta have stowable backpack straps. I'm not schlepping the thing through Europe slung over my shoulder.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:00 pm

To put a finer point on it, my Tumi briefcase started fraying badly about 3-4 years after I got it. I would cut the frays off so they wouldn't snag and pull out more, but it was disconcerting. I saw warning signs with the bag early, but by Oct 2010 it was just unusable. It's not like it was fun for 7 years and then boom, went south. It started 'eroding' after only a few years of use. Unacceptable.

The odds that I'll use the same Brain Bag for 10 years is pretty low. They'll come out with a new model and I'll probably sell the one I have now on eBay to help fund the purchase of the new one. But I have every confidence that this bag would absolutely last 10 years with reasonably hard use.

re Red Oxx, I think you might be confusing Tom Bihn products. the Aeronaut holds 2700 cubic inches compared to the Air Boss' 2200. It's the Tri Star that holds a bit less, at 2000. Again, the point is moot, if I get a bag in this category it's gotta have stowable backpack straps. I'm not schlepping the thing through Europe slung over my shoulder.
You are correct - I typed aeronaut when I meant tri star.

Many of the Tom Binh storage areas arent fully rectilinear like the airboss, and the shape can force you use a bundle technique vs a fold. If you are a bundle guy then no biggie, if you are a folder then their is a chance the space wont be as efficient for you.

To be certain though the Tom Binh Zippers are "hidden" they aren't sealed.

If you set the bag down in a puddle (dont know why you would but in Europe anything can happen) it will leak through the seam. Probably not as quick as a Skytrain with exposed zippers though.

To be certain I really like Tom Binhs stuff.

I cannot make a "one bag" weeklong business trip to Europe work for me. I need more business attire than most. Personal trip I can weeks out of almost anything.

UD
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Superb Product.

You should also look at Red Oxx products.

Looks like tom Binh decides when you've had enough.

Uncle Dave
Sort of like your spouse decides when you've had enough
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by billykidd
Sort of like your spouse decides when you've had enough

My ex wife was good at that.

UD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.