Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Test & Go Application Process changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by raycosm
How many nights did you end up having to book with St. Regis? I have an arrival around 11:30PM, was looking at booking my night at a Marriott but was confused if I needed 1 or 2 nights.
Bookings at the Novotel Suvarnabhumi Hotel are 24 hours from arrival. I recently did a Test & Go here, arriving 2320 from NRT. Covid test was done at hotel upon check-in , after midnight, and result available next morning, seven hours later. 😊
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by raycosm
How many nights did you end up having to book with St. Regis? I have an arrival around 11:30PM, was looking at booking my night at a Marriott but was confused if I needed 1 or 2 nights.
You never need 2 nights. An one night booking is always enough. But you can‘t leave your room before you‘ve got the test result. Hotels are very generous about early check-ins and late check-outs for test&go guests.

I‘ve heard of people, who didn‘t stay even the first night (but they had to book and pay for the first night). They‘ve got their test results early and took the next flight to HKT, USM etc.
raycosm likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I arrived in BKK yesterday lunch time when the airport was largely deserted. I had my Thai Pass etc. checked in one of the long walkways, then on to immigration where there were lots of free desks, then out to the baggage hall to find my suitcase was already on the belt. The Conrad car point was right outside the immigration exit, and I was in a limo en-route to the Conrad just minutes later. We went via Samitivej Hospital where I had the gentlest and shortest PCR test of the last 2 years, and 30 seconds later, I was on my way again, reaching the Conrad in very good time.

I had had paid extra to get my PCR test result super-fast, and just over 3 hours after checking in the front desk called to say I was negative.

30 minutes later I was in a taxi en-route to Don Mueang and Chiang Mai.

The whole arrival process is very well-organised now, but what's still holding most tourists back is the possibility of a positive PCR arrival test necessarily followed by 10 (?) days of compulsory quarantine in a hospital, or at best a hospitel. I didn't want that to happen to me, so had taken ATK tests on the 2 days prior to my flight, and again just an hour before checking in. Had any one of them been positive, I would have aborted the trip.

I think if the Thai authorities were to change to requiring just a negative PCR prior to departure, that would result in a huge increase in inbound tourism. I guess they know that too, so hopefully this will be the next step forward.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe

The whole arrival process is very well-organised now, but what's still holding most tourists back is the possibility of a positive PCR arrival test
Plus the absolute rip off you probably had to pay for the below charade....

The Conrad car point was right outside the immigration exit, and I was in a limo en-route to the Conrad just minutes later. We went via Samitivej Hospital where I had the gentlest and shortest PCR test of the last 2 years, and 30 seconds later, I was on my way again, reaching the Conrad in very good time.

I had had paid extra to get my PCR test result super-fast, and just over 3 hours after checking in the front desk called to say I was negative.
It's making someone rich that's for sure!
estnet and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I arrived in BKK yesterday lunch time when the airport was largely deserted. I had my Thai Pass etc. checked in one of the long walkways, then on to immigration where there were lots of free desks, then out to the baggage hall to find my suitcase was already on the belt. The Conrad car point was right outside the immigration exit, and I was in a limo en-route to the Conrad just minutes later. We went via Samitivej Hospital where I had the gentlest and shortest PCR test of the last 2 years, and 30 seconds later, I was on my way again, reaching the Conrad in very good time.

30 minutes later I was in a taxi en-route to Don Mueang and Chiang Mai.

The whole arrival process is very well-organised now, but what's still holding most tourists back is the possibility of a positive PCR arrival test necessarily followed by 10 (?) days of compulsory quarantine in a hospital, or at best a hospitel. I didn't want that to happen to me, so had taken ATK tests on the 2 days prior to my flight, and again just an hour before checking in. Had any one of them been positive, I would have aborted the trip.

I think if the Thai authorities were to change to requiring just a negative PCR prior to departure, that would result in a huge increase in inbound tourism. I guess they know that too, so hopefully this will be the next step forward.
I do not think the negative test before departure is the issue for many. It is the test on arrival. If you test positive then you are stuck and have to pay a lot of money. I do not mind the PCR before arrival. Then at least you are mostly in your home country then.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I was told and had done it twice and both times it was 24 hours from the arrival time. I think it is a Thai Government standard that it is 24 hours from the time. The first time, I checked in at around 1130 pm and they gave me until the next 24 hours. The second time, I arrived around 2100 and also they gave me the next 24 hours.
interesting b/c I checked with 2 Bonvoy hotels and they both said no- I had to book 2 nights (arrival around midnight) so I booked elsewhere. Even that hotel (which is exclusively asq/tng) just allowed me a few extra hours past their normal checkout not 24 hours so I really doubt that it is any government rule, just up to each hotel.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by estnet
interesting b/c I checked with 2 Bonvoy hotels and they both said no- I had to book 2 nights (arrival around midnight) so I booked elsewhere. Even that hotel (which is exclusively asq/tng) just allowed me a few extra hours past their normal checkout not 24 hours so I really doubt that it is any government rule, just up to each hotel.
Very Interesting because another member here recommended JB Marriott to me as he himself got the 24 hours there from the time he checked in and I did speak with them and they told me on the phone it was 24 hours. Initially on the email from reservation they said the same thing as you said but when I called to the hotel itself in BKK, they told me it is 24 hours.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Very Interesting because another member here recommended JB Marriott to me as he himself got the 24 hours there from the time he checked in and I did speak with them and they told me on the phone it was 24 hours. Initially on the email from reservation they said the same thing as you said but when I called to the hotel itself in BKK, they told me it is 24 hours.
I had actually emailed the hotel(s) directly to ask before I made a reservation so clearly it is a YMMV.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:04 am

The hotel I stayed in (very) recently was definitely paying lip-service to the Test & Go process.

I had a private (advertised as shared, but there was no-one else) transfer from BKK first to the Covid outdoor testing centre, and then on to the hotel in Silom (I won't name and shame). Waited for an age in reception while they found me a room, and this was at a "normal" check-in time (15:00).

The following morning, no-one called to inform me of the test result. I went to reception and after a search through a sheaf of papers, I was handed my negative test result. I went to have breakfast at Took Lae Dee. Later, when I checked out, I handed in my room key and after a few clicks on the computer, I was told I was good to go.

"Shouldn't I get an ATK [Covid lateral flow test kit]?" I asked. The girl looked flummoxed, but disappeared into the office, and came out with a box. "And who should I report the result to?" I asked. "No-one - just take it". And that was that!
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Can one book directly at the hotel or do I need to book through the OTA mentioned on the Thailand Pass site? If at the hotel, any hoops to jump thru to get the correct package? I'd be happy to stay the weekend at the JW, but don't care to pay the price the OTA charges for the package.

I will also need to do a PCR test in BKK for going to KUL - any tips where to go along Sukhumvit for same day result? (I will stay at the Sheraton Grand)

One more thing - on the way back, I'll have an 11 hour layover in BKK. I'd prefer to go to the Novotel airport hotel instead of staying airside - is that an option? Even if I don't get the results on time?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Can one book directly at the hotel or do I need to book through the OTA mentioned on the Thailand Pass site? If at the hotel, any hoops to jump thru to get the correct package? I'd be happy to stay the weekend at the JW, but don't care to pay the price the OTA charges for the package.

I will also need to do a PCR test in BKK for going to KUL - any tips where to go along Sukhumvit for same day result? (I will stay at the Sheraton Grand)

One more thing - on the way back, I'll have an 11 hour layover in BKK. I'd prefer to go to the Novotel airport hotel instead of staying airside - is that an option? Even if I don't get the results on time?
You can and should book directly with the hotels that is mentioned as SHA Plus hotels. I booked directly after finding which hotels are SHA Plus. I have stayed at the Novotel Sukhumvit too.

As for a PCR test I would recommend (Dr. Donna's) Medconsult at the Racquet Club Sukhumvit Soi 49/9. They have same day but charge 3000 for the 6 hours result. The normal one is within 24 hours and is 1500. If you go early morning around 0900 then you would get the results the same day for the normal service too. I mean within 24 hours.
If you stay at the Novotel you can ask for them for the express service and depending on the time of the day it can be fairly quick.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum

easier to book directly at the hotel, just ask for a test & go package after arrival. The hotels need to confirm (in the system) your booking after you submit Thai Pass data, so it is definitely better to book directly.

PCR test as already mentioned at Dr. Donna in Suk Soi 49

I am afraid, if you would like to go landside to Novotel Suvarnabhumi instead of staying in transit airside, you need another Thailand Pass (and Test & Go Package). unfortunately there are no sleeping rooms open yet airside, but there are lounges open
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

I would 100% echo what has been said already - always book directly with the hotel. If you would like to stay in the same hotel longer, that makes it easier too as they can make the entire reservation and just add on the Test & Go package for the first night.

My experience with MedConsult has been good and very efficient. I cannot remember the cut-off time, but if you go in the morning you would have the results by the same evening (they separate the day into three batches).

Sadly, if going land-side you would have to go through the entire Test&Go process again. Might be worth it if your layover is over-night, but if day time I am not sure I would bother (provided you have lounge access).
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: Thai Airways

If it was me and in your case if you are not so familiar with Bangkok I would go to WellMed at the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 25. It is 5 minutes walk from the hotel you mention and while it may be more expensive than the recommendation of other posters time saved is more important for me than a few hundred THB. There is another clinic (Global Doctor Clinic) in Interchange 21 which is 1 or 2 minutes closer and which you could try. However, I have not used it, whereas WellMed I have used several times.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Thanks guys for all the feedback - makes decisions much easier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.