Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think official enforcement trying to stop taxi pick-ups at the outer curb is sporadic - there is a need to at least appear interested in preventing this so as to keep the official drivers happy and in-line. When (if?) they raise the taxi fee to 75 baht, and/or add per bag fees, this may increase the demand for 4th floor taxi usage, and associated enforcement?

I do have some neighbors who pretty much fly every week - I just spoke to one this morning who returned last evening, and he reported that it is still possible (as of 6 Aug, ~ 22:00) to squeeze through the gate, and to catch a cab dropping someone off.

I've been taking GrabCar to the airport in recent trips so get dropped off at the inner curb, before the rotating gate, so I haven't really noticed how successful people are grabbing a cab first-hand. On returns, I use the AoT service or the official taxi queue.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:50 am

It has to be sporadic because I've never seen this in Thailand ...
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by JLMADURA
It has to be sporadic because I've never seen this in Thailand ...
All enforcement is sporadic and suits the needs/wants of that particular moment.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dsquared37
All enforcement is sporadic and suits the needs/wants of that particular moment.
And, in many cases, that particular individual.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, QR Privilege Club, HH Gold
What’s the approximate cost for BKK to Shangri-La? Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MattHall
What’s the approximate cost for BKK to Shangri-La? Thanks.
My estimates, in THB, you pay the tolls directly to the driver at the toll-booth(s) - very few taxis have EasyPass, you add the fee to the meter reading.

meter: 260 - 300
tolls: 75-100
fee: 50

total 385-450

variations due to traffic/route. I included an "average" traffic surcharge.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, QR Privilege Club, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
My estimates, in THB, you pay the tolls directly to the driver at the toll-booth(s) - very few taxis have EasyPass, you add the fee to the meter reading.

meter: 260 - 300
tolls: 75-100
fee: 50

total 385-450

variations due to traffic/route. I included an "average" traffic surcharge.
Thanks, this is really useful.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Slightly OT but took GrabCar from DMK to Bangkok Marriott Sukhumvit (soi 57) yesterday. 327 THB Grab charge plus 120 THB in tolls (I requested that the driver take the toll roads as I don't much like sitting in traffic jams) for a total of 447 THB.

Trip took 45 mins on a weekday at noon.

(Edit to add: the 327 THB was a fixed fee and the final charge matched the up front quote.)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
I took LineMan for the first time last week. It's an ok alternative but app falls short of Grab in 2 ways:
1) When booking is accepted, there is no indication in app of how long would it take to for car to arrive. You can see the car on map, that's all.
2) App does not show the taxi's plate number. Instead it shows some arbitrary id number. You will need to confirm with driver that he is the right guy with the right destination.

Otherwise, good to have competition.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by transpac
I think official enforcement trying to stop taxi pick-ups at the outer curb is sporadic -....
I took a couple of minutes to observe this a few days ago @ 5pm on a weekday.
There is enforcement but it is cyclical. It is this police SUV that comes around blaring its horns - everyone moves off immediately at that point. However, it doesn't come around again for some time so in the interval, there are always taxis waiting. The guys in vests (they are a constant presence) with walkie talkies walking up and down do not appear to care - they do not instruct taxis to move and pickups happen right in front of them.

Taxi drivers always helpful with the one-way turnstiles in case you don't know how to work them.
lovtofly3 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:34 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Meter showing 393 THB from BKK to GH Erawan at 11:30PM sound right ?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Last time I took a meter taxi from BKK that late at night (April), it was 220 THB on the meter to Suk soi 22.

Nearly 400 on the meter at a time when traffic should be relatively light sounds high but it really depends upon the route that the driver took or if some odd traffic delay occurred. (I also freely admit to not knowing whether it's difficult - from a route perspective - to get to the Chit Lom area from the major freeways.)
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
No, it most certainly does not. Who was driving the cab, Buster Poindexter?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Last time I took a meter taxi from BKK that late at night (April), it was 220 THB on the meter to Suk soi 22.

Nearly 400 on the meter at a time when traffic should be relatively light sounds high but it really depends upon the route that the driver took or if some odd traffic delay occurred. (I also freely admit to not knowing whether it's difficult - from a route perspective - to get to the Chit Lom area from the major freeways.)
Yes it's possible to access from the highway by taking the off ramp past Ploenchit, doubling back to Sukhumvit and turning left. However short of going to Bang Rak and back there's no feasible way for a meter to be reading close to 400. And at that time of night why would anyone bother taking the highway to begin with?
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Diplomatico

Much too high - meter was probably running before you got in, or it is a " fixed" meter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.