Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Well, it's the same type of application, but works only in Indonesia (vs Grab in SE Asia) and it let me add my US CC without any problems.
I'm sure that when I land in BKK I wont be able to add my CC to the Grab app.
I don't have the Blue Bird app nor am I familiar with it, but when you say 'same type' do you mean exactly the same platform but tailored to the specific company or just that they are apps for transportation?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I don't have the Blue Bird app nor am I familiar with it, but when you say 'same type' do you mean exactly the same platform but tailored to the specific company or just that they are apps for transportation?
Not the same platform dsquared37, its a stand-alone transport app for the predominant taxi in Indo and tied to a competitor (Go-car)
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Not the same platform dsquared37, its a stand-alone transport app for the predominant taxi in Indo and tied to a competitor (Go-car)

OK, so the comparison as proffered (able to do with one but not the other) is meaningless then. That's all I was trying to discern. Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:43 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Well, it's the same type of application, but works only in Indonesia (vs Grab in SE Asia) and it let me add my US CC without any problems.
Why are you sure of this?

OK, so the comparison as proffered (able to do with one but not the other) is meaningless then. That's all I was trying to discern. Thanks.
Actually the comparison is quite apt. They both offer transportation booking with similar restriction paradigms (limited to a specific geography) and therefore they could potentially limit their apps ability to register a credit card along the same paradigm. From my experience I would say that Grab is the more savvy company and also Grab has wallet functionality. Potentially they have experienced fraud in ways that led them to taking this decision whereas Bluebird are less prone as they are less well-known outside of their single-country geography.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Same thing in US. Can't add my card. It says invalid card (but I've tried MC, Visa and Amex).

I've downloaded app for My Blue Bird for Indonesia, and had no problem adding my US credit card.
Might the issue be your cc issuer is looking at this as a foreign transaction and denying it thinking you are not in that country?

I have had the following two experiences:
  • First, I've been able to add my cc to Grab while still in the US without issue.
  • Second, I was once prepaying for the Bell Transportation service while still in the US and my card was declined, so I immediately called the issuing bank (Chase) for an explanation. Their fraud software had flagged the transaction because I had used the card in the US earlier in the day.
My Cap1 card never gets declined but since the Bell incident my Chase card has been declined at Neiman Marcus and the Donald Pliner shoe store in Orlando, both for suspected fraud. Apparently buying nice things is something Chase doesn't think I do! Anyway, my card is now set up to send a text asking if it's really me, although one vendor recently could not accept the card for 24 hours after the initial declination despite my showing the text message and my calling Chase to make sure there was no issue. It was the vendor's rule, not Chase's nor Visa's.

Anyway, you might want to reach out to your cc issuer to see if there is a security issue keeping you from being able to add the card to Grab when you download the App in the US.

Last edited by CJKatl; Apr 4, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:00 pm

Grab has some fairly pedantic fraud detection. I doubt it's the bank. We hit that on our last trip there and for a short period I could only pay in cash. (Don't use same cc# on multiple accounts, ie, spouse authorized user with same cc# on 2nd account.)

You'll be able to add your cc once you are in Thailand (or Singapore, etc). At that point your bank might question the small authorization they send through to the cc network if you haven't notified them of your travel plans.

-David
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Actually the comparison is quite apt. They both offer transportation booking with similar restriction paradigms (limited to a specific geography) and therefore they could potentially limit their apps ability to register a credit card along the same paradigm. From my experience I would say that Grab is the more savvy company and also Grab has wallet functionality. Potentially they have experienced fraud in ways that led them to taking this decision whereas Bluebird are less prone as they are less well-known outside of their single-country geography.
But if they are not the same underlying script than something different could be at work. I won't downplay your scenario because your knowledge is far superior to mine in areas like this. However, knowing I had problems entering a certain US credit card while positioned in an area where Grab operates, and having a taken a ride from them in said area, on more than 1 account, my guess is there's something at play that's not related to underlying geographical restrictions though.

I'll also hazard it might take a few attempts, and possibly a day or two, to enter the credit card once BIS (Butt In Suvarnaphumi) but it will eventually work.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:20 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Metered taxi from BKK to Suk soi 22 on Saturday night/Sunday morning was 250 thb, including 21 thb tip. No toll road (not needed) and hailed the cab at the Departures level.

(Naturally, the driver agreed to the meter then as soon as he put the car in gear, asked for 400 thb. When I said "STOP" in a loud voice, he said "okay, meter" and we were on our way.)
So, you saved the THB50 fee that's applicable to the taxis on the 1st level? I needed a van Friday night/Sat midnight and without taking the toll roads (I live near On Nut BTS at Suk 77) it's regularly under THB200 with the THB50 fee.

I will miss Uber as Grab usually was higher priced and too many taxis vs nicer private cars that most of the Uber drivers I used have.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Just got this email:
To CJKatl,

We would like to inform you again that Uber has integrated the same family with Grab to better serve the car calling service in Thailand. We emphasize again that on April 8, 2561, we will move all systems to the Grab app, which means that. From that date. You will not be able to make calls through the Uber app.

To make your journey as smooth as possible. We recommend that you follow these steps:
  1. Download the Grab app here Grab
  2. Create account
  3. For new Grab users, the GRAB4W discount code can be used for all 4-lane Grab services and GRAB2W for GrabBike services.
If you have any questions about this business merger Find out more here.

Thank you and look forward to serving you again on the Grab app.

Yours sincerely,
Uber
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
And if you've been using Grab but changed mobile numbers since you first signed up for Grab......delete the app, download it again, and sign up using your new mobile number to take advantage of "new user" discounts.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
And if you've been using Grab but changed mobile numbers since you first signed up for Grab......delete the app, download it again, and sign up using your new mobile number to take advantage of "new user" discounts.
But ask someone for a referral code so the new user gets 100 THB off (I believe for 3 rides) and the referree gets a 100 THB discount once the new user takes a ride. I'm happy to giver referral codes (IM me) but anyone can do it. And you can do it to yourself from one number to another, but if you won't be using the old number again then you forfeit the latter 100 THB anyway.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I just added my U.S. Chase issued Visa card to the Grab app this morning (in Thailand.) No problem.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Wrong thread, sorry....

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Apr 7, 2018 at 2:36 am
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Just tried to access the rules, but the site is being updated. I thought that the rule was that you had to be there physically either at checkin or checkout.
Pretty sure this is not in the thread you desired.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Pretty sure this is not in the thread you desired.
To paraphrase Bullwinkle, sorry, wrong hat [thread].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.