Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Welcome to the Thailand destination forum's all-things-taxi thread…

Whether you are seeking taxi pricing, advice on how to catch a cab at Suvarnabhumi, the best and safest ways of using taxis in and around Bangkok, or info on using taxis in Thailand's other cities, please be sure to read the very informative member-created wiki before posting your questions.

Taxis are a frequent topic of discussion in this forum, so much so that the consolidated thread had to be split for manageability. To see posts from prior to 2014, the original taxi discussion thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...4-archive.html

Thanks and enjoy your time in Thailand!

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jan 4, 2015 at 8:45 pm
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia

Datapoint: Took a taxi from BKK a̶r̶r̶i̶v̶a̶l̶s̶ departures level a couple of days ago. The "one-way" gate is easy to circumvent - just pull forward a quarter turn, scoot in, pull forward another quarter turn and you're through.

Bags might need to go in edge-wise to fit though, easy enough if you have spinner-type wheels.

Taxis waiting as per usual, and I did this in full view of the traffic control guys, who appeared disinterested.

Last edited by tide; Jan 4, 2014 at 9:27 pm Reason: Correction: departure level instead of arrivals
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I'm hearing that a lot of folks are getting jacked up by the drivers from the official queue lately. Up at Departures, some want crazy $$, but at Arrivals it's never happened to me. I'm talking a whole lot of rides too. Maybe it's because I can speak a little Thai. If this happens, get out and bring your receipt back to the dispatcher. I'd like to know what happens next. I'm just going to speak just English next time. We'll see what ensues.
Didn't have any problems during a three week visit in December. Twice departing the airport and twice arriving...on each occasion it was metered.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by tide
Datapoint: Took a taxi from BKK arrivals level a couple of days ago. The "one-way" gate is easy to circumvent - just pull forward a quarter turn, scoot in, pull forward another quarter turn and you're through.
IIRC no "one-way" gates at arrivals.

Did you mean departures Where taxis drop pax off
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by EmailKid
IIRC no "one-way" gates at arrivals.

Did you mean departures Where taxis drop pax off
Yes, sorry, I meant the departures level (where you escape the 50B airport taxi fee) not arrivals. Speaking Thai exclusively for the more than a week has frazzled my language synapses

Incidentally, appears you can also snag a taxi at arrivals level on the outer most lane (next to the the parking garage). I've not done this but witnessed at least 2 passengers pull this off last week.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by tide
Yes, sorry, I meant the departures level (where you escape the 50B airport taxi fee) not arrivals. Speaking Thai exclusively for the more than a week has frazzled my language synapses

Incidentally, appears you can also snag a taxi at arrivals level on the outer most lane (next to the the parking garage). I've not done this but witnessed at least 2 passengers pull this off last week.
Curious if taxi is already in the arrival level why would they want to pick up pax from the outer most lane and lose the thb50 they get maybe by waiting a few minutes ..
UNLESS ofcourse they are many taxis in queue already ?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Curious if taxi is already in the arrival level why would they want to pick up pax from the outer most lane and lose the thb50 they get maybe by waiting a few minutes ..
I was thinking the same thing. The wait must be pretty long or they wouldn't pick up at Departures for a metered fare either.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: CharlesPoedyOB
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I think I am correct in thinking that in the past only the green and yellow taxis (mainly driver owned) could pick up from the official arrivals queue, but that may have changed now.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any licensed metered taxi can enter the dispatch lot at the transportation center - they are supposed to be "approved" by the AoT, but not sure what the criteria are? Doesn't matter the color, taxi company, or if the the rig is owner operated. Many taxis are rented by drivers for a 12 hour shift, and then handed off to another driver, typically at 04:00/16:00.

There are often hundreds if not thousands of taxis queued at the transpo. center for dispatch to level 1 at the main passenger terminal building. The wait might be upwards of a several hours. Drivers dropping pax off at the airport may not want to, or have the time, queue at the transpo. center, hence they loiter about hoping to get a fare rather than dead-heading back to some other location.

I think the drivers have to pay a portion (20 ~ 30 baht?) of the 50 baht when entering the queue, and they are supposed to meet some minimum number of qualifications, but who knows if those are really enforced?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:46 am

I am not sure I care about saving 50 baht after spending way over $1000 and 20 plus hours to get to BKK ,

At least downstairs there is a record that you were there and they right down the hotel in Thai for the driver ,

At least the week before Christmas there was NO line downstairs
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by transpac
There are often hundreds if not thousands of taxis queued at the transpo. center for dispatch to level 1 at the main passenger terminal building. The wait might be upwards of a several hours. Drivers dropping pax off at the airport may not want to, or have the time, queue at the transpo. center, hence they loiter about hoping to get a fare rather than dead-heading back to some other location.?
aha.. this is what I didnt know.. since whenever I used arrivals, I always found taxis arriving and departing with pax pretty quickly..
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I am not sure I care about saving 50 baht after spending way over $1000 and 20 plus hours to get to BKK ,

At least downstairs there is a record that you were there and they right down the hotel in Thai for the driver ,
There's a record that the driver was there but not of you per se. If the driver were to disappear you there'd be no record you ever got into the taxi (becuase the slip would still be with you).

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
At least the week before Christmas there was NO line downstairs
And last week there were huge lines at the door 4 stands but few if any lines at the door 7 stands.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dsquared37

And last week there were huge lines at the door 4 stands but few if any lines at the door 7 stands.
I love when that happens....passengers with tunnel vision just go straight ahead and hop into a queue when, if you look down the walk a few meters, there are no lines at all.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I love when that happens....passengers with tunnel vision just go straight ahead and hop into a queue when, if you look down the walk a few meters, there are no lines at all.
While I agree with what you say, I am sure there would be many pax would stand in queue as it would be their 1st time in BKK and they don't have a clue and wanna play it safe..
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:03 am

'Catching A Taxi At Bangkok Airport' Discussion Thread' Amazing no ? - 79 frigging pages. When it gets to 100, should we have a 'Catching A Taxi At Bangkok Airport' Do at Louis Tavern ? I think a single post by some traveller every 3 months would probably be sufficient, yet I've probably posted here 20X ! I guess I like to hear myself talk (silently in print fortunately). Considering it's popularity, you would think it was a 'Catching A Kardashian At Bangkok Airport Thread' !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.