Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the best way (quickest, lowest chance of hassle, normal pricing) to go from BKK to a hotel in Lat Krabang? We will be a party of 4, which includes 2 kids. Arrival at BKK will be at midnight, so probably 1am or 2am by the time we are able to get in transport to the hotel.

There are a few things which may complicate this trip. The short distance from the airport and the size of your party, which I assume also includes luggage?

The official taxi stand on level 1 does have a desk for "short distance" trips (your destination qualifies), but I'm not sure how that works exactly. I watched it for a minute or two Friday night and the one customer and three staff appeared perplexed. There are some slightly larger metered taxis (Toyota Innova, Toyota Fortuner) which might work? While a standard taxi can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children, the trunk is quite small owing to the size of the CNG tank so luggage capacity is limited.

Does your hotel offer transportation? It seems like many of the budget hotels on Lat Krabang do offer complimentary mini-van service? Short of this, or an official taxi I'm not sure what to recommend. Maybe Uber?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:14 am

Looking for estimated prices and best options from BKK to Anantara Riverside.
May need a minivan? as 4pax plus bags?
cheers
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by dave111
Looking for estimated prices and best options from BKK to Anantara Riverside.
May need a minivan? as 4pax plus bags?
cheers
This is our favorite hotel! We stay there once or twice a year. The last trip we brought our 18 year old son and his best friend. We took a mini van taxi from the official queue. The driver had a cloth covering the meter and tried to tell us that that size taxi doesn’t use a meter and only does set prices! Make sure you get them to agree to use the meter before you get in. If I remember right it was around 400Baht.
Have a great trip and make sure you make use of the hotel boat!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by estnet
doesn't your hotel provide a shuttle (for free)? Many do - if not Grab or Uber both have English interface where you enter your location (by door number) and they give instructions where to wait (outer road if I'm remembering correctly) and you look for the car by license plate.
Originally Posted by transpac
What's the best way (quickest, lowest chance of hassle, normal pricing) to go from BKK to a hotel in Lat Krabang? We will be a party of 4, which includes 2 kids. Arrival at BKK will be at midnight, so probably 1am or 2am by the time we are able to get in transport to the hotel.

There are a few things which may complicate this trip. The short distance from the airport and the size of your party, which I assume also includes luggage?

The official taxi stand on level 1 does have a desk for "short distance" trips (your destination qualifies), but I'm not sure how that works exactly. I watched it for a minute or two Friday night and the one customer and three staff appeared perplexed. There are some slightly larger metered taxis (Toyota Innova, Toyota Fortuner) which might work? While a standard taxi can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children, the trunk is quite small owing to the size of the CNG tank so luggage capacity is limited.

Does your hotel offer transportation? It seems like many of the budget hotels on Lat Krabang do offer complimentary mini-van service? Short of this, or an official taxi I'm not sure what to recommend. Maybe Uber?
I tried to use Grab taxi (my first time) and it was a disaster. I went to the wrong flooor then not to the outer road. Then the turning gate to the outer road was locked. Wasted time and energy running around with kids and luggage all because I have had shady taxis in the past. Ended up hiring a probably unlicensed taxi who had no idea where he was going. Hotel offered transportation was 150 Thb but my concern was waiting and finding it.

Heading back to BKK again tomorrow with the family. I could give Grab taxi another shot but still not clear exactly where to meet the cab and how to know which is mine. Uber is another possibility but same issue about not knowing the system and worry about getting a car that won’t fit us plus our three roller boards. Destination this time is Pathumwan.

Last edited by 49er; Feb 20, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Save the hassle, get an AOT car or the hotel limo.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by 49er
I tried to use Grab taxi (my first time) and it was a disaster. I went to the wrong flooor then not to the outer road.
Originally Posted by Eltham
Save the hassle, get an AOT car or the hotel limo.
It certainly appears the hassle was self imposed.

I took Uber this afternoon from BKK. Requested while walking past customs and 7 min later I was in the car on my way. 900 THB less than AoT with no hassle.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:42 pm

Thank you - the cheapest the hotel offered was a minivan for 3000 Baht.

Originally Posted by travelinterpreters

This is our favorite hotel! We stay there once or twice a year. The last trip we brought our 18 year old son and his best friend. We took a mini van taxi from the official queue. The driver had a cloth covering the meter and tried to tell us that that size taxi doesn’t use a meter and only does set prices! Make sure you get them to agree to use the meter before you get in. If I remember right it was around 400Baht.
Have a great trip and make sure you make use of the hotel boat!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It certainly appears the hassle was self imposed.

I took Uber this afternoon from BKK. Requested while walking past customs and 7 min later I was in the car on my way. 900 THB less than AoT with no hassle.
I used Uber this time and it was a breeze. 355 THB to Siam
Square/Pathumwan area from BKK. Will definitely use them
here again.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

I used Uber this time and it was a breeze. 355 THB to Siam
Square/Pathumwan area from BKK. Will definitely use them
here again.
Score at halftime: 49er 1 - Learning Curve 1
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Score at halftime: 49er 1 - Learning Curve 1
How did you know I'm middle aged?

For our return trip to BKK, took the Airport Rail Link from Phaya Thai station. It was packed...people standing. This was at 10:30pm on a Saturday.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
How did you know I'm middle aged?

For our return trip to BKK, took the Airport Rail Link from Phaya Thai station. It was packed...people standing. This was at 10:30pm on a Saturday.
Don't want to go too off-topic but I've never been on that train when it wasn't standing room only. If you get on at Phaya Thai you can normally obtain a seat - which is why I usually opt to take the BTS to Phaya Thai instead of taking the MRT to Makkasan and catching the ARL a couple of stops closer to the airport.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Don't want to go too off-topic but I've never been on that train when it wasn't standing room only.
Yesterday, 10:30AM. A couple of people standing but far from crowded. Open seats from Ramkamhaeng out to the airport.

If you get on at Phaya Thai you can normally obtain a seat - which is why I usually opt to take the BTS to Phaya Thai instead of taking the MRT to Makkasan and catching the ARL a couple of stops closer to the airport
And you avoid the sweat lodge that is Makkasan, however the platform at Phaya Thai can be a total disaster during crowded times. Pick your poison in a sense.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
And you avoid the sweat lodge that is Makkasan, however the platform at Phaya Thai can be a total disaster during crowded times. Pick your poison in a sense.
Haha, yes why is it always so damn hot at Makkasan St.?

Anyway, I rode the ARL twice this month. Got a seat both to and from Makkasan St. but it was for sure crowded (people standing at all times). From the airport to Makkasan was on Monday around noon and from Makkasan to the airport was the following day around 4PM.

Due to expected traffic congestion in the afternoon, I took a motorbike from All Seasons Place on Witthayu to Makkasan. Very quick but at THB 100 quite pricy.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I never use Phaya Thai any more. I'll always opt for heat over crowds. Yes, the MRT is usually crowded when I'm going to or from the airport; but it's only for one stop (for my usual route).
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
500 Baht from Royal Orchid Shearton to BKK
200 Baht from BKK to Le Meredien Suvarnabhumi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.