Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Over the past decades, I have probably made 300+ trips in cabs in Bangkok/airport and I'd say my rate of no-meter/rigged-meter is about 3% or so.

I'd have to guess some people just look/act more like potential marks for drivers.
Are you saying I don't blend in as Thai, wearing my oversized Hawaiian print shirt, cargo shorts, knee high dress socks and flip flops? With a fanny pack around my waste and a camera around my neck? Talking about how much better everything is back home?

Even though I don't really do most of those things, it's pretty easy for a cab driver to get that I'm a potential mark so I usually get the non-meter offer. I don't think I have had the rigged meter, but unless I'm getting in the car with a Thai friend, I get the flat rate offer before insisting on the meter.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I used what Uber is calling the "UberFlash" option in Bangkok....it sends whatever Uber will be quickest to pick you up. Sometimes it's an UberX, sometimes it's Uber Black. In this case, it was a Toyota Vios sedan, new, clean, leather seats. (So you actually have three options when choosing your Uber now - Flash, X, and Black.)
This is the option I use as well. At the worst you get UberX but whichever ride you do get is at the UberX price.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Grab has nothing to do with this as you've been told over and over again; there is no cause/effect at play here.

OK guys Im Thick but not that Thick. I didnt realize that 'a 'fast meter' was what happening to me. I thought it would hav ebeen faster after the 1st 1km and not that you didnt get the 1st km for 35 thb. I now know and shoukd it happen again a slong as my bags arent in the car either tell him to stop and get out or depending where I am ask that call a cop

I simply thought that there were different type of how the meters worked depending on the type of cab you got, so I thought if you hailed down a car that had Grab written on it that you didnt get the 1st km for 35 but that it started clicking away from get go. I now get it. Only good thing was both times I used a cab that had Grab on it was for short distances so the damage was there but not major, more the point then anything else

Although its more of a pita I fully see why using BTS/MRT/boats are the best combo if they work for someone , if the BTS or MRT only went to the area near the Grand Palace and Pho. yesterday I took BTS from my hotel (Park Hyatt) to the Stadium and walked to The Golden Mount then to The Swing then to Chinatown then MRT/BTS back, an enjoyable day
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
OK guys Im Thick but not that Thick. I didnt realize that 'a 'fast meter' was what happening to me. I thought it would hav ebeen faster after the 1st 1km and not that you didnt get the 1st km for 35 thb. I now know and shoukd it happen again a slong as my bags arent in the car either tell him to stop and get out or depending where I am ask that call a cop
I would advise in instances such as your that you get to your hotel and have staff deal with it. At least this way you have an open public forum, staff potentially trained to deal with these types and situations and you're at your destination so no risk of being left high n dry.

While I don't see major excess in the two events you mentioned what you state happened is not what is supposed to.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think a standard metered taxi can also be dispatched as part of the UberFlash beta program in Bangkok, although I've never gotten one in ~ five UberFlash bookings this month...

https://www.uber.com/en-TH/blog/bang...rflash-launch/

UberFLASH launched in Bangkok

For Uber pick-ups at the airport, you can specify the door # (on level 2, aka Arrivals) in the app by scrolling. There are ten doors, numbered one through ten, and if facing outside, door #10 is to the left, and door # 1 to the right.

I used Uber X from the airport to the city last Tuesday morning, was quoted 325 THB, final bill was 375 THB (the additional 50 THB was for the toll which the driver paid via EasyPass channel).

I saw an Uber pick-up at a boutique hotel in my neighborhood yesterday; the vehicle was a tricked-out ~ 2010 Toyota Yaris with gigantic spoiler and classic Thai hot-rod exhaust system. The passenger was smiling.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by transpac
I think a standard metered taxi can also be dispatched as part of the UberFlash beta program in Bangkok, although I've never gotten one in ~ five UberFlash bookings this month...

https://www.uber.com/en-TH/blog/bang...rflash-launch/

UberFLASH launched in Bangkok

For Uber pick-ups at the airport, you can specify the door # (on level 2, aka Arrivals) in the app by scrolling. There are ten doors, numbered one through ten, and if facing outside, door #10 is to the left, and door # 1 to the right.

I used Uber X from the airport to the city last Tuesday morning, was quoted 325 THB, final bill was 375 THB (the additional 50 THB was for the toll which the driver paid via EasyPass channel).

I saw an Uber pick-up at a boutique hotel in my neighborhood yesterday; the vehicle was a tricked-out ~ 2010 Toyota Yaris with gigantic spoiler and classic Thai hot-rod exhaust system. The passenger was smiling.
Interesting. In my many Uber trips to/from Suvarnabhumi, I've never had the toll charge added to the upfront pricing estimate. The initial quote was equal to the final bill even when using the toll roads.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:52 pm
Suspended

I would advise in instances such as your that you get to your hotel and have staff deal with it. At least this way you have an open public forum, staff potentially trained to deal with these types and situations and you're at your destination so no risk of being left high n dry.

While I don't see major excess in the two events you mentioned what you state happened is not what is supposed to.
i dont want to touch the WiKi thats for the expects to do

Id like to ask a favor from the experts can 1 of you please Edit the WiKi and add just before the faq section ; Fast Meter explain what it is eg if after being turned on its starts clicking from the get go then its best to do 1 of the following and list the options, that way others like myself who arent educated dont get ripped off. and if a meter if considered fast in other ways to detail what to look out for and mention its for any cab anywhere you use it and not only to/from the airport

thx

( I didnt complain since I had no idea that I got hit with a fast meter, since it was never explained what a fast meter was. I honestly thought that the meters for cabs that had Grab written on them worked differently. I now know differently. had I known 100% I would have complained at least the 1st time since I ended up at ahotel, the 2nd time I went to a street corner so it wouldnt have helped but I could have had him stopped and gotten out and took another cab instead had I known that what i had was indeed a fast meter or called over a Tourist Police if I saw one)

Last edited by craz; Jan 29, 2018 at 10:01 pm
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Interesting. In my many Uber trips to/from Suvarnabhumi, I've never had the toll charge added to the upfront pricing estimate. The initial quote was equal to the final bill even when using the toll roads.
Same here, the price is toll inclusive. On occasions where tolls haven't been used to any extent the fare charged reflects the price minus the toll(s). On Sunday, with 75 baht for tolls, minus a 60 Baht promo, the fare charged was 290.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
... or having a sword run through your abdomen.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
... or having a sword run through your abdomen.
I figured someone would chime in with infinitesimally small chance scenario, I just didn't think it would be you. You are more likely to be hit by lightning than assaulted by a taxi driver with a weapon.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I figured someone would chime in with infinitesimally small chance scenario, I just didn't think it would be you. You are more likely to be hit by lightning than assaulted by a taxi driver with a weapon.
Your statement of the chances is undoubtedly correct. Personally, I don't argue with taxi drivers until/unless I'm at my destination, almost always either a hotel or an airport. I wouldn't do it in the U.S., either. Just snap a photo of the license plate, or the driver's info (on display inside the taxi). As I reported way upthread, the police did track the driver down the one time I filed a complaint, and fined the driver.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And then, there's this, from last July: Fake Bangkok Taxi Driver Arrested over Rape and Robbery of Chinese Tourist Chiang Rai Times English Language Newspaper
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And what is the prevalence of these events in terms of number of trips logged yearly? You're probably more likely to hit the lottery jackpot than encounter a situation such as this. Living in fear of encountering something like this is folly.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And what is the prevalence of these events in terms of number of trips logged yearly? You're probably more likely to hit the lottery jackpot than encounter a situation such as this. Living in fear of encountering something like this is folly.
Very small. I hardly live in fear; but I try to be aware of my surroundings and situation. My posts were hardly meant to be warnings away from taxis; rather they're just to remind people to be aware and think before they do/say anything.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Very small. I hardly live in fear; but I try to be aware of my surroundings and situation. My posts were hardly meant to be warnings away from taxis; rather they're just to remind people to be aware and think before they do/say anything.
Being aware of your surroundings is just common sense. The warnings that appear in this thread on multiple occasions about taxi drivers armed with machetes is nothing but fear mongering; saying or doing something that annoys people can have repercussions regardless of who the recipient is. But when people are afraid to speak up due to a slim and irrational fear and, as a result, accept being overcharged/scammed then we have a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.