Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:58 am
Suspended

cab to BKK was a dream, the bell hops at The Park Hyatt went to fetch one, they told him where I was going (BKK) to use the meter (he did) tolls were 50 & 25 meter read 243

traffic was slow bet sign BKK 12 Km & 6KM, but not stop and go, maybe 20kph the slowest a far cry from the bumper to bumper and stop and go I experienced last Weds when I arrived

All in all, lesson learnt what a fast meter is so next time it wont occur

thx all for all your assistance hope I didnt clog up the thread
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Assume you mean UberX, right? I typically take Uber Black from BKK and I think it is a flat rate of THB 1K.
Better to order a Bkk limousine. ~980Thb quick and efficient
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by craz

All in all, lesson learnt what a fast meter is so next time it wont occur
But how do you stop it? You don't speak Thai, and can't really jump out on the freeway from the airport by the time you realise the meter is fast. I think in many cases it just USD1 that we lose.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
But how do you stop it? You don't speak Thai, and can't really jump out on the freeway from the airport by the time you realise the meter is fast. I think in many cases it just USD1 that we lose.
I think if you went way back into this thread you'd find folks who have been "fast metered" to the tune of 800 THB from BKK to downtown.

As to what to do about it, wait until you get to the hotel, give the driver 400 THB and leave. If he tries to give you a hard time, explain what happened to the hotel staff and let them send him off.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I think if you went way back into this thread you'd find folks who have been "fast metered" to the tune of 800 THB from BKK to downtown.

As to what to do about it, wait until you get to the hotel, give the driver 400 THB and leave. If he tries to give you a hard time, explain what happened to the hotel staff and let them send him off.
That works, except when you are going TO the airport, arrive and get out - refuse to pay the inflated rate - offer the right amount and the driver grabs your bag away from you and threatens you with a fist (I'm a small female) and there are no others around except other taxis (5 am)
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen a "fast meter" a few times (between 5 and 10 out of several thousand trips - I often take the exact same trip/route every day so large variations in price stand out, after I take out the traffic surcharge component), and I always pay the inflated price, but do make a small light-hearted joke (while maintaining a smile) about it to the driver when I pay. I haven't reported these incidents to the DLT.

Last edited by transpac; Feb 3, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree - the 600-800 fares are a true fast meter. And I agree you do nothing until you get safely to the hotel. The ones where you get in and they start counting straight away are a different type, and add a few baht on to the fare. The OP stating the 'lesson is learned' was talking about the latter, and probably can't really do much (for the sake of a few cents).

This is another reason why the electronic receipt from the airport is important. If you jump through hoops to get up to the departure level you're not going to have that same record for the authorities. Save a dollar, but risk 20 times that.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you jump through hoops to get up to the departure level you're not going to have that same record for the authorities

Meh. All you need to use the DLT reporting tools is the taxi number (metal plates on the inside rear doors). Neither do you get any sort of paper record catching a taxi anywhere else.

I think the electronic receipt is as much for the authorities to assist in finding you if you go missing? ;-)
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
If you jump through hoops to get up to the departure level you're not going to have that same record for the authorities

Meh. All you need to use the DLT reporting tools is the taxi number (metal plates on the inside rear doors). Neither do you get any sort of paper record catching a taxi anywhere else.

I think the electronic receipt is as much for the authorities to assist in finding you if you go missing? ;-)
Sure, but not everyone thinks that quickly in a highly stressful situation to take photos of the taxi number etc. The electronic receipt is proof of the journey, and perhaps a disincentive to some, not all, rogue drivers. YMMV
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
As was noted already I wasnt talking about to/from the airport. My episodes happened with the city, so bags to talk about. Id simply get out or have him stop so I can get something.In my cases the meter started clicking w/o giving me the 1st km for 35 thb
. Again I noticed it just as I was getting in but thought it was that way due to it being a Grab cab I now know differently. The 2nd time its easy to make believe you left something inside and need to get it and will be right back then once outside the cab tell me his meter is ripping you off and wont use him

If you have bags in the cab then as others have said its best to get to your destination pay him what you think is the correct amount and have the hotel folks tell him you want the cops to be called
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by estnet
That works, except when you are going TO the airport, arrive and get out - refuse to pay the inflated rate - offer the right amount and the driver grabs your bag away from you and threatens you with a fist (I'm a small female) and there are no others around except other taxis (5 am)
When the driver threatens you, grab hold of your bag yourself and scream POLICE repeatedly as loud as you possibly can. A number of years ago a driver tried something similar with me on arrival at BKK (after my only bag, a carryon, was already on the sidewalk). I threatened him with the police; then he changed his tune and asked me how much I would like to pay. The details are way upthread here, IIRC.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've employed a different tactic on several occasions (though none recently).

At the hotel I offer the driver LESS than the meter should read and allow him to make the choice between accepting the under fare (and sucking up the 50baht ToT charge as well) or waiting for the police. To date the under-fare has been accepted.

Why should I offer the correct price and allow the driver no downside to the scam attempt?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
When the driver threatens you, grab hold of your bag yourself and scream POLICE repeatedly as loud as you possibly can. A number of years ago a driver tried something similar with me on arrival at BKK (after my only bag, a carryon, was already on the sidewalk). I threatened him with the police; then he changed his tune and asked me how much I would like to pay. The details are way upthread here, IIRC.
I did something similar in Israel where a driver refused to use the meter, I snapped a pic of his license and he grabbed my phone and ran out of the car. I stayed in the car and yelled for the police while the driver kept trying to get me out of the car. The police eventually did show up, I got my phone back and he got handcuffed.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I've employed a different tactic on several occasions (though none recently).

At the hotel I offer the driver LESS than the meter should read and allow him to make the choice between accepting the under fare (and sucking up the 50baht ToT charge as well) or waiting for the police. To date the under-fare has been accepted.

Why should I offer the correct price and allow the driver no downside to the scam attempt?
I did the exact same thing once - except it was in Shanghai, not BKK.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CJKatl
While I am not questioning your choice of Uber Black, I will point out Uber X has been phenomenal when I've used them in Bangkok. The cars are new, meticulously clean and driven by great people. I've actually ridden in several newish Mazda 323s (or whatever those are called in Thailand) and a couple Hondas. Small, but very clean and professional.
I despise taxi drivers in BKK so I used AoT between BKK and my hotel. For trips within Bangkok that required a car, I used Uber but during one of the rides my driver was pulled over from the police and given a ticket. Since then, I realized that all my drivers have been hiding their phones from their dashboard and/or asking myself or my companion to get into the front seat due to the police. Disappointing that this is the case since there are a lot of taxi drivers who drive away if they're not happy with the fare and/or destination. I waited for a taxi at the St. Regis before getting into an Uber for roughly 20 minutes after the doorwoman was unable to get a taxi driver to drive us to our hotel.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.