Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by craz

does anyone know if theres a station near the HI Silom that is walkable with my 2 bags in tow? 1st time to BKK, and years ago I found out the hard way that even if a train is nearby that doesnt mean the streets can handle a wheeledwheele
There is a station, but it's a fair hike from the hotel, and
  • There are stairs
  • the footpath to the hotel is unfriendly to wheels
  • unless you are used to it, the journey from the city rail terminal is clunky at best

It's a trip I'm happy to make with no bags. Wouldn't dream of doing it with anything bigger than an overnight bag.

All in all, unless you are a public transport geek then take a taxi from the airport. Budget $10 and you're unlikely to be far out.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
As per my earlier post - it can be a bit higher with traffic and depending on the route. The alternative ring road can put the total cost closer to 450 all in (including airport surcharge, tolls and the actual fare). A marginal difference in terms of USD, but worth stating so people don't think they have necessarily been 'ripped off' if it goes over 400.

I agree however taking a taxi is so much easier. Especially with day time heat and humidity.
Thx for the clarification, I would have opened up had it been over much over 350. I now see why the wiki talks about apx 250 and why folks were posting North of that. I guess Im gonna be leaving BKK with THB in my pocket, but will put 400 aside for getting back to the airport,I guess I can give the driver a $1 if need be. Wish they took CCs alot easier
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Wish they took CCs alot easier
Uber does.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Uber does.
I have no means to contact them = I have texting and internet Blocked to my phone, which is a flip phone. I want my phone to be exactly that- a phone, calls in and out only
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber, Grab, All Thai Taxi all accept credit cards. But you need the mobile app. The Junta is planning their own ride-hailing app. (Taxi OK), but I think it has been delayed.

The Junta has been pushing some digital payment schemes but the public has been reluctant to accept these.

An older flip-phone may not even work here if it only supports 2G as most/all of that spectrum has been re-farmed to 3G and 4G.

GrabTaxi is, IMO, an essential app for Bangkok, maybe #2 after a maps app? It saves time, money, aggravation and reduces stress.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Thx for the clarification, I would have opened up had it been over much over 350. I now see why the wiki talks about apx 250 and why folks were posting North of that. I guess Im gonna be leaving BKK with THB in my pocket, but will put 400 aside for getting back to the airport,I guess I can give the driver a $1 if need be. Wish they took CCs alot easier
A small piece of advice for your first trip to Bangkok - it's the land of "it depends". Embrace flexibility.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I have no means to contact them = I have texting and internet Blocked to my phone, which is a flip phone. I want my phone to be exactly that- a phone, calls in and out only
If you do ever buy a smartphone, consider one with the "crime deterrent" feature:

Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suvarnabnumi Airport increases taxi numbers for high season

Suvarnabhumi Airport has registered 1,000 more taxi drivers to serve the arrival hall until early January, as the number of tourists has increased for the high season, the airport director said on Tuesday.

Suvarnabnumi Airport increases taxi numbers for high season
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
A small piece of advice for your first trip to Bangkok - it's the land of "it depends". Embrace flexibility.
I am flex, but when you read that something should cost max X amount and then they hit you for alot more (even thou its not much in USD) then in this case since I was told expect 350 and the driver says its 475 or 500, I admit after pulling up to my hoptel and getting my bags out I would have asked the bell-hop or whomever is standing there to please call the police Im being scamed. Now I know it will have to be over 500.

I had that problem years ago in CCS, went knowing a cab s/b $20US. When a guy asked me if I needed a cab and I said yes but only for $20 he agreed, but ended up passing me off to another person. When we got to my hotel he wanted $100 I handed him the $20 and he went ballistic and said hes calling the police,I said if you dont I will. It was The IC, I simply took my bag and went inside he came in yelling like crazy. The mgr came out asked whats up I explained and even told which group charges $20, he called them and told the driver I was 100% correct and if he didnt leave then and there hed make sure he was locked up and told him to go after whomever handed me off to him if he wasnt happy with the $20

Yea it was alot more then what 100 THB is worth, but its the point,I know what something s/b and expect it to be that. Im not afraid to go at it with anyone. Ive walked into many a store (even inn the US) where Im walking out empty handed since nothing has a price marked on it. The employee asks if theres anything he can help me with,I answer yea mark the prices on the items. I know some stores have different registers that will show different prices,1 I guess is for the locals who know the score the other those they will scam
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by transpac
Uber, Grab, All Thai Taxi all accept credit cards. But you need the mobile app. The Junta is planning their own ride-hailing app. (Taxi OK), but I think it has been delayed.

The Junta has been pushing some digital payment schemes but the public has been reluctant to accept these.

An older flip-phone may not even work here if it only supports 2G as most/all of that spectrum has been re-farmed to 3G and 4G.

GrabTaxi is, IMO, an essential app for Bangkok, maybe #2 after a maps app? It saves time, money, aggravation and reduces stress.
Had a 2G but my carrier said they were closing down the 2G network and i had to get a 3G which I did and which I have a couple of overseas SIM cards for (just those 2 countrys that I hit a few times a year). Really dont want to walk around with the size of the so called smart phones today and the smaller ones are useless to read anything on and my flip fits neatly in my shirt pocket and I can palm it as I drive if need be, cant do that with a smart phone
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
There's a price to pay if you don't go with the times, man.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1flyer
There's a price to pay if you don't go with the times, man.
Understood, as well as that Im sure eventually flip phones will go the way of buggy whips. But till then a flip it shall be.Same can be said with the type of laptop I use and will use. My car the same, its a means of getting from 1 place to the next, no need for a moon-roof, leather seats, chrome all over etc etc, now if on avg I was in the car say 4-5 hours a day and driving over vast distances, that would be something else. To me at least having the toys isnt important, being able to afford them is and TG I can afford them . A Honda Civic or Accord will do the same job as say a Lexus but for a heck of alot less $$

Im flying NY-HKG-BKK, HKG-BKK-HKG is using Avios and my NY-HKG tkt was $580 r/t in Y. For that price Im not gonna blow over 100K for a Biz seat nor pay for Biz. E+ with the extra leg room works and I just did that same flight to HKG last month
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Howa is one of the largest taxi operators, they rent cars to drivers in 12 hour daily shifts, which change at 04:00/16:00.

‘UBERTAXI’ ROLLS OUT IN BANGKOK

BANGKOK — If good taxi drivers and Grab promo codes are in short supply, Bangkok commuters can now take a swipe at something new.

At 10am on Thursday, Uber and taxi operator Howa launched a metered taxi service called UberTaxi in the capital.

Unlike other Uber services such as UberX and UberBlack, UberTaxi fares are metered, plus a service charge depending on demand at the time.

?UberTaxi? Rolls Out in Bangkok

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...h-deal-in-Asia
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few more articles on Uber Taxi launch...

UberTaxi focused on improving cab utilisation

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tra...ab-utilisation

Uber Strikes Taxi Partnership in Thailand

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/uber-...-thailand.html
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
It will be interesting to see how UberTaxi works. Ordinarily, in any other country and presently with Uber in Thailand, you see the fare on the app and that's what is charged at the end of the ride. It seems with UberTaxi, you see a possible fare, but are charged whatever at the end of the ride. What's the process is the amounts are widely different? It seems like this is a way to corral victims rather than any real solution to horrible cheating cab drivers.
Diplomatico likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.