Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You should never stand in the way of someone getting paid immediately for a job done.

I couldn't imagine thinking the bellman should carry my bags for free or on credit
If someone is going to travel the person should be prepared to pay for expected expenses.
1) the porter isn't an independent contractor: he's paid a wage by the hotel.
2) the hotel will add a substantial 10% to your bill for service.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Sorry if being prepared to pay for a service when it is used seems odd to you, but the bellman deserves to be paid and shouldn't have to be tracked down later because I was too lazy or unprepared to pay for a service I knew I would be using.You should never stand in the way of someone getting paid immediately for a job done, but if you think it is okay to use a low wage worker and maybe hunt him down later to pay him then you and I are very different. I couldn't imagine thinking the bellman should carry my bags for free or on credit, but maybe that's me be a rude American.

If someone is going to travel the person should be prepared to pay for expected expenses.
Apart from the fact that he’s an employee simply doing his job, your post also indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of the Thai service mindset. Imposing US tipping habits might make you feel better but may not have the same impact for the employee.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
2) the hotel will add a substantial 10% to your bill for service.
Hee-hee....Maybe they do that to Brits, but I have dozens of hotel bills none of which have a service charge added. None. And I am tipping well below 10% of my total stay. When I have paid with points there has been no charge at all, so certainly nothing was added on those stays. I know from when I was back in college American restaurants add the tip ahead of time for certain foreigners many of whom often have some convoluted justification for not tipping. Now we know Thai hotels must do the same. Hysterical.

Originally Posted by Eltham

Apart from the fact that he’s an employee simply doing his job, your post also indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of the Thai service mindset. Imposing US tipping habits might make you feel better but may not have the same impact for the employee.
Not according to the hotel managers I have asked who have said in American chains the bellmen are paid with the expectation there will be tips.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Hee-hee....Maybe they do that to Brits, but I have dozens of hotel bills none of which have a service charge added. None.
As an American, in many hundreds of nights in Thailand in hotels that present a bill (so let's leave out non-chain and cheap-y guest houses in the boonies) I've never not been charged 10% + 7%. I have a difficult time accepting your claim based upon experience

Not according to the hotel managers I have asked who have said in American chains the bellmen are paid with the expectation there will be tips.
Again, this flies in the face of my experience and pay in Thailand.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
You are correct. Nobody wants to reopen that can of worms.
But you seem to be trying hard to do just that!

Originally Posted by Eltham
Apart from the fact that he’s an employee simply doing his job, your post also indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of the Thai service mindset.
I have to agree.

Hee-hee....Maybe they do that to Brits, but I have dozens of hotel bills none of which have a service charge added. None.
Not from hotels in Thailand, you don't. Certainly not in 4* or 5* hotels.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
As an American, in many hundreds of nights in Thailand in hotels that present a bill (so let's leave out non-chain and cheap-y guest houses in the boonies) I've never not been charged 10% + 7%. I have a difficult time accepting your claim based upon experience.
Same as my experience. I've been coming to Thailand regularly for 12+ years, and have well over 1,000 nights in hotels. 7% tax and 10% service have been added to every hotel bill. Without exception.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
10% service charge + 7% VAT. Can't remember a single instance where that didn't occur at a hotel in Thailand.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Interesting since my experience with a GM is exactly the opposite. He was quite clear that the service charges are collected and then distributed to the staff (don't know the formula) quarterly. The staff confirmed that they do receive and look forward to this. Since he managed many 5* American chains over the time I knew him I have no reason to doubt this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Hee-hee....Maybe they do that to Brits, but I have dozens of hotel bills none of which have a service charge added. None. And I am tipping well below 10% of my total stay. When I have paid with points there has been no charge at all, so certainly nothing was added on those stays. I know from when I was back in college American restaurants add the tip ahead of time for certain foreigners many of whom often have some convoluted justification for not tipping. Now we know Thai hotels must do the same. Hysterical.
This is just silliness.
While award stay generally attract no service charges (10% of zero being zero), and few taxes outside the occasional fixed sum city taxes, hotels above a certain level in Thailand will put a service charge on paid stays. That's simply a fact.

You could well be correct about hotels IN the US. But there the tipping culture, for better or worse, means that many front-line staff get paid (and, i understand, taxed) on the basis that they will be rewarded for their labour directly by their customers. That simply doesn't happen in (most of) the rest of the world.

Hotel chains generally follow the practices of the regulatory and labour environments of the countries they operate in. US hotel chains do not operate with some form of diplomatic immunity: they follow local labour norms and regulations.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
And you didn’t take a millisecond to consider how ridiculous that statement was? On that basis I assume (for example) European chains in the US pay full European-equivalent wages....
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question, and excuse my ignorance: If you order a TAXI does it work like a normal taxi where you argue over using the meter and pay cash at the end of the ride or like a traditional Uber where the price is set before you get in the taxi and charged to your cc?
The way it works for me is that I pay the meter plus the 25 baht booking fee - I pay tolls separately out of hand. With GrabTaxi they give you an estimate, which I think is the estimated meter reading range. With GrabCar I end up paying the fare quoted upon booking, and I pay tolls separately.

I still haven't tried Line Man taxi but do see a lot of taxis around with the "M" logo on the hood.

Depending on where you are getting a taxi can be a bit more challenging given the recent travails on the BTS.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by dave111
We are heading to the Anantara Riverside from BKK. Hotel has offered us a price 3200THB
Will AOT be much cheaper.
Yes. 1200 Baht for a Camry, 2400 for a 7 Series or Merc. They will offer you the latter price until you ask for the lower one. Good service though.
dave111 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Just to remind you of the ongoing "TAXIFIRST100" promotion when booking a taxi via the LINE MAN app, i.e. 100 Bath discount. So far cash only. Turned out very well this weekend. My trip from Sathon Soi 1 to Suvarnabhumi (no highway as it was late in the evening) was priced at 189 B (after 100 B discount and 20 B booking fee). Gratuitously, I gave the driver 200 B for the ride I can't recall getting to the airport by taxi that cheap before.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the "taxifirst100" one/first-time promo has been around for ~ 7 months.

https://lineman.line.me/taxi/

If you are a DTAC customer you can get a 30 baht (multiple use) discount code through the end of July. * 140 * 710 # SEND
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by estnet
Has anyone tried to get a taxi from the departures level recently?
Did this a few days ago at BKK. Appears same same as before: there is still that same gap in the turnstiles, the guy manning the pedestrian crossing a few meters away did not care, and taxi driver was whistling loudly at me from way across.

Was something supposed to have changed?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by tide

Did this a few days ago at BKK. Appears same same as before: there is still that same gap in the turnstiles, the guy manning the pedestrian crossing a few meters away did not care, and taxi driver was whistling loudly at me from way across.

Was something supposed to have changed?
Thanks - when I was there a few weeks ago they had stopped the gap, lots of police making taxis move instantly, no taxis waiting or anyone trying to cross to get them. Good to know it's back to normal !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.