Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Question about the Ramkhamhaeng ARL station. I am staying near Phrom Phong and was wondering what the taxi situation is at Ramkhamhaeng. It would be nice to avoid the whole Makkasan area. My thought was to get off there and try to grab a taxi there and avoid the traffic from the airport in to town.

Thanks
David
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many variables, day of week, time of day. Not exactly sure how many problems this will solve vs. create new ones? That area is a bit congested, catching a taxi inside the SARL station might prove challenging as will the exit in the proper direction? I guess you could head for the eastmost elevated exit (walk towards the NASA Vegas hotel) which dumps you down (via stairs) on Ramkhamhaeng Rd, where you can catch a taxi heading down Sukhumvit Soi 71, then up Sukhumvit, or immediately turn right on Petchburi Rd. then down Ekkamai (63) or Thong Lor (55). Will you have many bags?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Thanks so much - once I got to BKK I accessed grab got an est of about 460, tried line (altho I'm going to delete it b/c I keep getting ads in Thai) which was similar. Walked to departures and the gates have enough gap to be able to wheel luggage out (yeah it used to be had to lift over the gate) and was able to get a legit taxi (green and yellow) which cost 340 +70 tolls even with some traffic (but not as bad as I expected). Now if I could only get google fi to work - well I'll post in the Thai forum about that)

Originally Posted by transpac
I'm going to The River

Grab, SBIA/BKK to The River (I chose the North Tower), shows as 434 baht.

Didn't realize it wouldn't work outside of Thailand, a VPN might help, if that's available to you?

You can check routing and distance (and traffic) on Google Maps. Right now showing 37.7 Km, but 1h18min via Rt 7, and 50.5 Km/1h7min via Bang Na Trat. During rush hour maybe plan for closer to two hours?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:07 pm

We are talking about $15 USD. After a long day of flying all I want is a simple drive to my hotel and the driver using the meter gets a good tip
Ohh that's if the meter is not rigged like it has been a few times !

​​​​​
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
We are talking about $15 USD. After a long day of flying all I want is a simple drive to my hotel and the driver using the meter gets a good tip
Ohh that's if the meter is not rigged like it has been a few times !

​​​​​
Well in my case virtue was it's own reward - as I was being dropped off the (honest) taxi driver got an immediate return trip to BKK (I hope he gets a lot for waiting in traffic since the traffic going to BKK looked horrible!)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
If I only had carry on would you try it? Not having to change to MRT/Sky seems worth it. I though that doing this would help me beat the airport traffic.

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I only had carry on would you try it?

Taking the SARL to Ramkhamhaeng? Very generally speaking, NO.

But it depends on the EXACT destination - this is important as so many roads and streets are divided or one-way, day of week and time of day.

I would probably take a taxi or car directly from the airport to my destination. Or if it were near a MRT or BTS station then maybe the SARL to Petchaburi or Phaya Thai.

I honestly only take the SARL when going to meet someone arriving, or after dropping someone off who is departing, and even in those cases it's not my first choice.

I have the advantage of knowing generally where I'm going, have all three prepaid cards, use mobile tools to get a feel for traffic/BTS/MRT issues or summon a taxi/car and know most of the options for any situation.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:09 am

First time back in Bangkok since Uber left. Used Grab to go from BKK to the Conrad yesterday. Grab car ended up being 441THB (with the toll). Was picked up in a pick up truck which is fine except that if it was raining wouldn't have been fun having the suitcase getting wet in the back. Driver had trouble finding the hotel entrance even with the app directing him where to go but that's not a grab issue, I had similar problems with Uber drivers in Bangkok.

Tried using Grab twice today and went 1 for 2. First attempt after about 10 minutes (with an initial 8 minute ETA) driver started going opposite direction and ETA changed to 14 minutes so I cancelled. Second attempt was successful, no issues.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:16 pm

Taxi fined for not using meter 1000 baht!

News around Thailand & South East Asia - Thai Stock Market

Krabi taxi fined - 1000 baht - now that's what I call a real deterrent - what will it take 1 or 2 more rides (without meter) to make up the "fine"????
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I am a regular traveler to BKK and I’m quite familiar with drivers not wanting to use a meter. However, I had a new issue last week and I’d like to report a driver. I took a cab at 6 am from the Athenee to the airport. About 1/3 of the way there, I noticed that the meter was reading 270 baht. I innocently/stupidly said to the driver “I think there’s something wrong with your meter”. He got very angry and said it’s 450-500 baht to the airport, so I just slunk back into my seat and didn’t say anything else. I did start taking pictures though. I have a picture of the driver, the final meter reading at BKK (463 baht), his license plate and the time/route we travelled from my driving app. (I also gave him 75 baht for tolls when I got into the taxi.)

He knew I was angry, but what could I do. I had luggage in the trunk and didn’t want to be dropped off on the highway. When we got to BKK, he said he’d drop the price to 400 baht. (In retrospect, I should have given him 300 and walked away.) As he was pulling away, he yelled at me “F*ck you”.

I sent all my pics to the Athenee, but have no way to know if they did anything with them. I really want to report this guy if only because he thought he could take advantage of a woman traveling alone. I tried to Google how to report a BKK driver but didn’t really find anything. Is there a way to punish this lowlife?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I am a regular traveler to BKK and I’m quite familiar with drivers not wanting to use a meter. However, I had a new issue last week and I’d like to report a driver. I took a cab at 6 am from the Athenee to the airport. About 1/3 of the way there, I noticed that the meter was reading 270 baht. I innocently/stupidly said to the driver “I think there’s something wrong with your meter”. He got very angry and said it’s 450-500 baht to the airport, so I just slunk back into my seat and didn’t say anything else. I did start taking pictures though. I have a picture of the driver, the final meter reading at BKK (463 baht), his license plate and the time/route we travelled from my driving app. (I also gave him 75 baht for tolls when I got into the taxi.)

He knew I was angry, but what could I do. I had luggage in the trunk and didn’t want to be dropped off on the highway. When we got to BKK, he said he’d drop the price to 400 baht. (In retrospect, I should have given him 300 and walked away.) As he was pulling away, he yelled at me “F*ck you”.

I sent all my pics to the Athenee, but have no way to know if they did anything with them. I really want to report this guy if only because he thought he could take advantage of a woman traveling alone. I tried to Google how to report a BKK driver but didn’t really find anything. Is there a way to punish this lowlife?
You poor thing! It's awful when this happens

You can try these links, you may need the help of auto translation on google: https://www.dlt.go.th/en/ That's the department of Land Transport. There's a tab at the top right of the page to lodge a complaint. That page only appears for me in Thai, but google auto translates it and you can then select the 'taxi' tab at the top. It looks official - asking for all the details of the taxi and any other information you have.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
You poor thing! It's awful when this happens

You can try these links, you may need the help of auto translation on google: https://www.dlt.go.th/en/ That's the department of Land Transport. There's a tab at the top right of the page to lodge a complaint. That page only appears for me in Thai, but google auto translates it and you can then select the 'taxi' tab at the top. It looks official - asking for all the details of the taxi and any other information you have.
Thank you for that. As luck would have it, I'm in Vietnam right now and met up with a couple of guys last night that live in BKK. One of the guys is Thai, so we attempted to fill out the form, using his phone which is in Thai. However, my friend could not enter the license plate. We filled out else on the form but the second box for the plate number wouldn't take any numbers or letters regardless of what he typed. I can't read Thai, so couldn't help, but that wasn't an issue for my new friend. Eventually we just gave up. Guess I'll have to hope that the Athenee submitted the complaint on my behalf.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for that. As luck would have it, I'm in Vietnam right now and met up with a couple of guys last night that live in BKK. One of the guys is Thai, so we attempted to fill out the form, using his phone which is in Thai. However, my friend could not enter the license plate. We filled out else on the form but the second box for the plate number wouldn't take any numbers or letters regardless of what he typed. I can't read Thai, so couldn't help, but that wasn't an issue for my new friend. Eventually we just gave up. Guess I'll have to hope that the Athenee submitted the complaint on my behalf.
When you get home if you use google chrome it will auto translate the complaint form (for a taxi) into english for you. I'm on a PC now and it allows me to enter text into the licence plate box.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
When you get home if you use google chrome it will auto translate the complaint form (for a taxi) into english for you. I'm on a PC now and it allows me to enter text into the licence plate box.

Hope that helps.
OK, one more question. How would I enter the first two Thai characters that are on the license plate? Thx
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, one more question. How would I enter the first two Thai characters that are on the license plate? Thx
That's a very good question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.