Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
This is really interesting! In all these years, I've never experienced it, but it makes sense.
I've experienced this most often inbound from Surasak on the Silom line, in the late afternoon. Savvy commuters drift to the right-side doors for a quick exit. But if the train crosses over (no longer going to National Stadium, but rather Mo Chit) after Ratchadamri, the doors will open on the left.

But they do make announcements, in Thai and English, both about the change and on which side the doors will open.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by yosithezet
This is really interesting! In all these years, I've never experienced it
Nor I.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I ride a lot on the Sukhumvit Line too and have to say very rare on the Silom Line and I have never seen any Sukhumvit Line go to the Silom Line. Yes at some stations the door opens on the other side.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Nor I.
Yeah, me neither. I've been riding the BTS for over five years now.....never seen it.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:42 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I rarely ride the BTS. I don’t like it. But, there are times when taking it is a must.

I have been on the BTS southbound, approaching SIAM, when the announcements come on warning that the route will change to the Silom one and that all Sukhumvit pax must change trains.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:53 am

Very interesting. I have never seen it but it must be happening for sure then. Does this happen from the Mochit to Siam train?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This Google Maps feature is said to operational here, or soon will be. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing? Just worry about altercations when the GMaps claxon goes off during a simple route requirement.

Some Google Maps users are getting an off-route alert for taxis

What you need to know:
The new off-route feature will alert you when your driver goes more than 500m off course.
So far the new feature has only been spotted being tested in India.
Google Maps has added the option to see speed cameras and a speedometer recently as well.

https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...axi-goes-route
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I wonder if this would have applied on my last trip - traffic was very jammed on usual route (Friday afternoon) from city to BKK - I saw an alternate (longer) route with much less traffic on g maps and so did driver. He asked if it was okay and I said yes (as I was hoping to show it to him). Around 20 km longer but probably similar cost.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alternate routes, as suggested by Google Maps here because of traffic, are 50:50 IME. I tend to avoid them unless I am 100% sure of the route, and the projected time savings is more than 15 minutes (above the current route's ETA).

The issues are: everyone else is being directed to this alternate route, so it gets stuffed quickly, and these often involve simple, surface, main roads (2-lane, each direction, 120+ second lights at every block) which can back up in moments.

Most Grab drivers (Car not taxi) seem to rely on GMaps, only a few get antsy about suggested alternate routes. Usually, you have a few minutes to debate the pros/cons before having to make a lane change to turn off.

If it's a Friday, 15:00 onwards and raining hard just stay put for the rest of the day.

There are a lot of radar sites and apps, handy during rainy season. Quite a few good ones as near as I can tell. I rely on this one, it has a minus two hour play feature --> https://www.weather.in.th/radar.html

Last edited by transpac; Jun 16, 2019 at 10:10 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:27 pm

Sometimes the toll ways are more busy than the other roads as everyone is trying to get on the toll way.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bangkok taxi passengers being taken for a ride

With emergence of Grab, cabbies' loss is citizens' gain

It was a campaign promise of the Bhum.jaithai party to legalise Grab. Anutin Charnvirakul's party not only ended up in the ruling coalition -- it also clinched the Transport Ministry.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/...ken-for-a-ride
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I rarely ride the BTS. I don’t like it. But, there are times when taking it is a must.

I have been on the BTS southbound, approaching SIAM, when the announcements come on warning that the route will change to the Silom one and that all Sukhumvit pax must change trains.
This usually happens during rush hour sometimes between 7.30 - 8.00 am because the passenger traffic to the silom line is very huge and it's operated like this for more than 10 years.
seanthepilot likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
So on leaving Le Meridien on Surawong to BKK the other day, when I get into the cab I notice the meter is already at 39 Baht.
I asked the driver twice to restart the meter, when he refused I got out and asked the doorman to get me another cab.
His tip would have been much more than the amount he tried to scam me for. When will they stop playing these silly games?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
So on leaving Le Meridien on Surawong to BKK the other day, when I get into the cab I notice the meter is already at 39 Baht.
I asked the driver twice to restart the meter, when he refused I got out and asked the doorman to get me another cab.
His tip would have been much more than the amount he tried to scam me for. When will they stop playing these silly games?
The 'starting' fare is 35 Baht and has been for more years than I care to remember so it seems that you were not aware of this. MAAN.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:11 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by maerim
The 'starting' fare is 35 Baht and has been for more years than I care to remember so it seems that you were not aware of this. MAAN.
Correct. Flag fall is 35. If his meter was already at 39 then he either turned it on a bit away from the hotel or sat at the hotel with the meter running. Either way, the taxi driver was untrustworthy and getting out was the correct thing to do.
estnet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.