Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:59 pm

limit the number of bags? I wonder how that's going to work out for them?

Simple solution: Don't use a taxi. Use ARL, Limo or grab.

-David
Diplomatico and Cliff358 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by transpac
Suvarnabhumi cabbies threaten to cut back services

Suvarnabhumi airport taxi drivers have threatened to withdraw some services starting on Nov 1 in a protest against what they say is the government’s failure to ensure fair competition once app-based ride services are legalised.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...-back-services
Good plan. Even more reason to use the app-based services.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:54 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Tollway fares are rising again too!
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Imagine this one is ripe for abuse.

Evidently there was a blockade/protest at SBIA/BKK on Thursday, the Transport Ministry immediately caved. Assume they'll pull the same thing to get an increase in the fee (from 50 baht to 70/90 baht).

Transport Ministry succumbs to increase in luggage charges for airport taxis

In a statement, the president of the Thai Public Taxi Association, Pallop Chayinthu, says that under the agreement, drivers will accept two pieces of luggage for free and only additional items measuring more than 26 inches will incur the 20 baht surcharge.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tran...-airport-taxis

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378142

Last edited by transpac; Nov 9, 2019 at 6:01 pm
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
data point

duplicate
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
data point

Arriving after midnight - go to departures level - get outside. New tourist dodge besides flat fare "you pay service charge 50 baht" (no if I wanted to pay sc I'd go downstairs where you'd have had to wait in a long que I think to myself) - won't budge.
Next cab - "no meter 500 baht"
Finally - honest guy - meter, no nonsense about service fee and no argument about not taking toll way.
All in fare Bkk to near Iconsiam 291 baht - gave him 300 and he started to make change - but I was in the process of giving him another 40! Honesty pays and I like to reward it.
Oh - and his seat belt worked

Last edited by estnet; Nov 10, 2019 at 2:51 am
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by estnet
Arriving after midnight - go to departures level - get outside. New tourist dodge besides flat fare "you pay service charge 50 baht" (no if I wanted to pay sc I'd go downstairs I think) - won't budge.
Next - no meter 500 baht
Finally - honest guy - meter, no nonsense about service fee and no argument about not taking toll way.
All in fare Bkk to near Iconsiam 291 baht - gave him 300 and he started to make change - but I was in the process of giving him another 40! Honesty pays and I like to reward it.
Oh - and his seat belt worked
Funny - you went up to Departures to "game the system" by circumventing the queue below and avoiding the 50 thb departure fee from the airport. When the taxi drivers tried to "game the system" by playing fare games with you, they are not "honest".

It may sound as if I'm being critical (I'm not, I do the same when I catch a taxi) but are the actions described above really much different from an "honesty" perspective?

(Greetings from Chiang Mai, btw. Enjoy Loy Kratong!)
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by transpac
Evidently there was a blockade/protest at SBIA/BKK on Thursday, the Transport Ministry immediately caved. Assume they'll pull the same thing to get an increase in the fee (from 50 baht to 70/90 baht).
I don't think the blockade was at the airport, but rather at the Transport Ministry in town.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:38 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Please delete
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Would the current fares equate mid day with no traffic to:

BKK to:
1st toll 200 on meter
2nd toll 240 on meter
drop from highway to Sukhumvit 300 on the meter?

seems high
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I got into a cab at BKK last night, meter was covered by a cloth. When I asked him to start the meter, he removed the cloth and I saw that the meter was
already at 77 Baht. He re-started the meter, laughed, and said that sometimes he gets 500, 600, or even 1000 Baht from unsuspecting customers.
Actual meter ended at 241 from airport to SGS, plus 50 airport surcharge.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:21 pm

I had a rigged meter one time , you can see the KM signs on the expressway , this meter was charging 1.4km per 1 km on the signs.....

its a nice game to check it on your ride into town
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
With our usual taxi man disappearing I used Klook this morning for a ride to BKK. It was £14.77 so about 614B and I booked it 12 hours in advance. I think that was the price for a car that holds 3 persons in either direction BKK-Downtown.

Our condo isn’t really downtown, we are down On Nut road but I couldn’t be bothered to gamble with taxis and grab at 2AM. Taxi is usually about 150-200B depending on route/traffic.

The driver was waiting for me when I went down stairs at 1:55AM. Spotlessly clean car. I’d put the wrong flight number in the booking and they called up to check and corrected it about an hour after I booked.

Just thought I’d mention Klook here as I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned here as an option.
flybyFIRE likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grab added pre-booking (up to 7 days) a while ago.

https://help.grab.com/passenger/en-th/360001392588
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:57 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
According to Richard Barrow:

Starting today, taxi drivers are allowed to charge 20 Baht per piece of luggage up to a maximum of 100 Baht #Thailand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.