Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Originally Posted by BinSabai
yes indeed 28. July was Kings Birthday, therefore long weekend and tolls free (sometimes only tolls outside Bangkok are free while you have to pay within Bangkok)

Grab: so where did you meet the Grab driver? on which level or in the parking building?
I got my Grab at departures level door 4. It was all pretty straightforward.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:04 pm

The other alternative is to get an AOT limo. You stop by the clearly marked AOT limo booth in the baggage hall before exiting through customs to book. I don't recall what it costs now, but a nice new Camry to Sukhumvit hotels used to be 1200THB, now I think it's a bit higher. Tolls, etc all included, no tipping.

When you go to the AOT booth, they will show you a glossy page with the car prices with the more expensive vehicles (Mercedes, etc.). Just turn that page over and you'll see the more reasonably priced vehicles. The Camry or the small SUV which is even cheaper are both fine, personally I think the Camry is more comfortable. When you exit through customs you'll see a bigger AOT booth as soon as you exit, you just give them the paper and they will have somebody walk you out to your car and help with your bags.

Personally the taxi hassle isn't worth it to me. Other people prefer taxi or grab, that's fine.

-David
kevino, karenkay, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
is there still a total absence of taxis at Makkasan railway station
It avoids most of the traffic and would be a lot cheaper when wandering
Fred
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
just a quick thanks and data point about using grab at BKK. it worked perfectly, at a very reasonable price (238Thb, to marriott Sukhumvit) with zero hassle.

I hadn't used the app previously, and was unclear about where to meet the driver. the app said--correctly--arrivals level door 7, you just walk out the door and go to the second lane of traffic. (we'd asked a uniformed airport person who told us to up to departures 7, which was incorrect.) no problem adding my credit card to the app once I was in the country. so nice not to have the taxi hassle.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by karenkay
just a quick thanks and data point about using grab at BKK. it worked perfectly, at a very reasonable price (238Thb, to marriott Sukhumvit) with zero hassle.

I hadn't used the app previously, and was unclear about where to meet the driver. the app said--correctly--arrivals level door 7, you just walk out the door and go to the second lane of traffic. (we'd asked a uniformed airport person who told us to up to departures 7, which was incorrect.) no problem adding my credit card to the app once I was in the country. so nice not to have the taxi hassle.
what country cc (US I think) and which brand? I've not been able to add my visa or mc
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by estnet
what country cc (US I think) and which brand? I've not been able to add my visa or mc
hi!
:::waves:::
you're correct, US-based. chase sapphire visa.

fwiw, I tried while I was at home and it didn't work, but no issues adding it using the app while sitting at BKK.
slickrick11 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:08 pm

Thanks -I've tried other visa's but not that one. May try it next time I'm in Thailand. Hope you're having a great time. I sent you a DM

Originally Posted by karenkay
hi!
:::waves:::
you're correct, US-based. chase sapphire visa.

fwiw, I tried while I was at home and it didn't work, but no issues adding it using the app while sitting at BKK.
karenkay likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 10:24 pm

Thanks -I've tried other visa's but not that one. May try it next time I'm in Thailand. Hope you're having a great time. I sent you a DM
Had that issue as well. Looking up online, it's due to Grab's new verfication policy. If you have an Amex-issued CC, that will work just fine with Grab. Most Chase cards seem to work as well. I don't see much luck with other credit cards at the moment though.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
Had that issue as well. Looking up online, it's due to Grab's new verfication policy. If you have an Amex-issued CC, that will work just fine with Grab. Most Chase cards seem to work as well. I don't see much luck with other credit cards at the moment though.
Yes, it's b/c of their OTP verification system - which no US cards do - yet amex and Chase do seem to work - color me confused
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:58 am

Yes, it's b/c of their OTP verification system - which no US cards do - yet amex and Chase do seem to work - color me confused
Amex does have a OTP verification system-SafeKey. That's why the credit card has to be issued by American Express to get the OTP verification to work. (A BofA Amex card will not work since that would need to be verified by BofA). Not 100% sure what OTP system Chase uses, but most cards seem to work.

This is a big contrast to my last visit in 2019, where any card worked fine on Grab.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
Amex does have a OTP verification system-SafeKey. That's why the credit card has to be issued by American Express to get the OTP verification to work. (A BofA Amex card will not work since that would need to be verified by BofA). Not 100% sure what OTP system Chase uses, but most cards seem to work.

This is a big contrast to my last visit in 2019, where any card worked fine on Grab.
Thanks - yes me too, used to have no problem using my US cc - but the upside is that if your are paying cash (since cc doesn't work) if they don't show up there's no hassle other than getting another ride
kevino and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC
The US banking system unfortunately continues to lag keeping up with the global standards for card payment security. If you're in the US please call up your card issuers and tell them that they need to sort out their life and systems urgently, and ultimately you will probably have to vote with your feet and go to banks that have made the investment to keep up to date, because these things are complex and slow to implement.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
This taxi in Bangkok and Thailand thread has gone way off topic into a "using US-credit cards abroad" thread....
estnet and SKT-DK like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
is there still a total absence of taxis at Makkasan railway station
It avoids most of the traffic and would be a lot cheaper when wandering
Fred
Yes, there is usually a taxi to get at Makkasan St. But the issue is that a drive to the city/hotels south of the station involves a huge detour up north to be able to turn around and drive south on Asoke-Din Dang Rd. Cars are not allowed to turn right into Asoke Din-Dang Rd when exiting Makasan St. I have had situations where the driver went all the way on to Rama IX Rd before turning around and going the same way back on Asoke - Din Dang Rd south-bound.

You would be better off by walking the fly-over from Makkasan St. to Asoke MRT St. and hail a southbound taxi from there (which admittedly is not always easy to find; there are plenty of taxis but not many prepared to take a customer from there). Or take a motorbike...
kevino and BinSabai like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You would be better off by walking the fly-over from Makkasan St. to Asoke MRT St. and hail a southbound taxi from there (which admittedly is not always easy to find; there are plenty of taxis but not many prepared to take a customer from there). Or take a motorbike...
I think you mean MRT Phetchaburi.
kevino, seavisionburma and TPACjv like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.