Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
oh I'm less then happy about the stupid £/$, down from $2/£1 to about $1.50, now at a 5 year low! terrible, down about 11THB per £ too!
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Upgrading:
With the collapse of the Australian dollar, this is no longer a viable option for Australians and for that matter New Zealanders, it still makes sense for anyone with Thai baht or Indonesian rupiah, or a swag of miles.
Anyone with access to a trained TA, will be able to pick over fares that can still be purchased with "throwaway" hotel rooms, these seem to be the best buys at the moment. Interestingly I was quoted US750 only last week on MEL-BKK, from Y to C, which that equated to 1276, and even on a cheap W fare AU$750 fare which attracted AU$650 in taxes, I had to throw in some miles, which I had to view as valueless, to get it upgradeable, still worked out cheaper than I could buy a bus anywhere, but I saved so little you have to wonder if it's all worth while

We can currently buy Baht for 23, down from 34, and the Rupiah for 6700 down from 9200. This is playing havoc with our buying as you can imagine. We use Thailand and Indonesia predominately to fill the shelves, usually if we can land an item for $2 or less, it makes for a great $9.95 sale, this year it will have to be $14.95. regards bkkrop
Old Nov 7, 2008, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Prices have gone up.

My sister was quoted by THAI in AKL for BKK-LHR at USD 960. She declined, but did do AKL-BKK for USD 870.

The THAI upgrade list that I have seen at the THAI ticket office had core prices in USD and THB equivalents. Payment is in THB in Thailand, USD converted to local currency elsewhere. You can buy airside at the Silk/First Lounge or at the transfer counters.

The earlier the better to try and snare a seat, and allow you use of the appropriate lounge - I'd usually turn up 3-4 hours prior, but that's just me!

Your option to visit a day or to before, a say 3-4 hours before, are probably the best bets as you'll have more time to arrive early.

Note that the biz cabin BKK-LHR on the overnight flight (TG910) can be quite full, whereas the noon departure (TG916) is often less full. Similar for First Class.

Cheers, TK
Thanks Thai-Kiwi. So I guess the Thai staff do quote in USD for non-BKK locations. I notice that all of the people who have paid for their standby upgrades in EUR or USD have not done ex-BKK legs, or in your sister's case, was quoted in AKL and not BKK.

The recent currency swings have really turned things upside down! I am fortunate in the sense the S$ has not moved much against the THB, compared to AUD/USD or NZD/USD. The Aussie is really taking a hammering in this global recessionary enviroment. So that is why I think it is only worth it for me to make the upgrade paying THB converted from S$. Even the option of 26,000 THB or US$960 seems totally off, as US$960 buys around 33,500 THB now. Or have the THB prices adjusted upwards as well...

Besides the lounge and transfer counter mentioned, I am also able to get this at the check-in counter right, or has this changed and I am only able to get the standby upgrade after and passing immigration? (just wondering as I may do a stopover for a few days instead of transfer on the same day)

The thought of being stuck in Y with no AVOD IFE for BKK-LHR is something I am not looking forward to, although that is probaby the reason why TG Y is cheaper than other options by a couple of hundred dollars ex-SIN. But at least you get *A miles.

Has anyone not been able to get a standby upgrade from Y->J or J-> F for TG910? If so, how long before the flight depature did you try to get it?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Yes, you can also process at check in - I recommend going to the counter of the class you seek to travel in (ie the Silk or First counters).

I am currently torn between an award tix AKL-BKK in Y with $NZ800 in taxes, or buying a Q fare costing $NZ2100 (incl taxes) and using my GUP to J in biz... As much as I've travelled long haul in C or F ex asia in the past few years (and enjoyed it), the opportunities being based in NZ now don't present... and so the plunge of the kiwi dollar means that the $1300 saving by using a Y award flight is very tempting.

I should say that at present there is no C award availability AKL-BKK over Feb to Jun ( that I've been able to find).

THAI ROP staff in Auckland and Bangkok have both advised that the Gold Birthday gift will be different for 2009, but I need to wait to see quite what it will be....
Old Nov 7, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
THAI ROP staff in Auckland and Bangkok have both advised that the Gold Birthday gift will be different for 2009, but I need to wait to see quite what it will be....
Heard that too, heard worse than different, just have to wait till Dec
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ*G, PAL Premier Elite
thai tix in NZ

A question for TK:
How much does an economy ticket ex akl to bkk cost now. have tg increased the fares to cover the currency fluctuations?
Cheers!
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Q class is NZD 2100ish
V class is NZD 1700ish

These are from THAI website, but within$50 of our corporate TA.

Cheers, TK
Old Nov 9, 2008, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Taxes ex-NZ down by around 20%

An online re-quote of the above shows taxes have reduced from around $NZ 800 to $NZ600.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:29 am

Q class is NZD 2100ish
V class is NZD 1700ish

These are from THAI website, but within$50 of our corporate TA.

Cheers, TK
Wow. The prices I get off the THAI website (both the Thai and Singapore ones) for SIN-LHR are around 2x of what I can get off Zuji.com or even a local TA ex-SIN...
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:24 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Yes, my mistake - the mechanical could have occurred at BOM/BLR...
I wonder if there is any way to find out what the mechanical trouble was. My colleague says that there was something leaking out of the plane.

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
However, I'm interested to find out if the standby upgrade could be processed at BOM as well...
I inquired upon check-in. I was quoted the same price as my colleague and in the end I did not act upon it. It seemed they would be able to process.

I inquired this morning about Y to C for BKK-NRT upon check-in and was quoted ~13K THB. I declined as I had a window in 747 Y with the middle seat blocked. I slept the whole way.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:31 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Domestic Thailand sectors are now 1500 baht up from 1200 I think it was before. It is the same price to buy a business class ticket in the first place.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: BD *G, Tufty Club - crossing the road is far more dangerous than flying
Originally Posted by jn82
Anyone done a recent standby upgrade BKK-LHR? Just wondering if the US$870/26,000 THB price is still valid from BKK (Which price is it really from BKK, USD or THB? Makes a bit of difference given the recent USD appreciation). Would be best if it was a price from the BKK airport side, not an overseas office.

Also, how much earlier before the flight can and should I rock up to the counter and ask if there are standby upgrades available for purchase? Intend to be on a connecting flight from SIN, so can either come in a couple of days beforehand and do a stopover, take an earlier flight up on the day itself, or take a flight which arrives 2 hours before the BKK-LHR flight.

Cheers.
I upgraded from economy to business on TG910 BKK-LHR on 3 days ago for THB 30,400 one way, which was a bit pricey but i needed the sleep. Even at this price, it still worked out cheaper than buying the business ticket upfront would have cost. In fact, on the date in question C had been sold out for weeks in advance, so a standy by upgrade was my only option - I must have benefited from a no-show or someone else upgrading from C->F to make space.

I'd flown in on a connecting Thai flight from Krabi, so arranged the upgrade ~2-3 hours prior to departure at the Royal Silk section of the BKK transfer desks found at the corner of concourse C & D. The ticket desk in Krabi said they couldn't arrange the BKK-LHR upgrade, but I guess there is no harm in asking anyone & everyone you see.

Once on board, both first & business were completely full, so looks like Thai are keeping up yields on the overnight flights despite economic doom & gloom. It had been a similar story on the way out LHR-BKK on TG917, with no availability in either C or F.

Last edited by Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo; Nov 11, 2008 at 3:33 pm
Old Nov 11, 2008, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo
I upgraded from economy to business on TG910 BKK-LHR on 3 days ago for THB 30,400 one way, which was a bit pricey but i needed the sleep. Even at this price, it still worked out cheaper than buying the business ticket upfront would have cost. In fact, on the date in question C had been sold out for weeks in advance, so a standy by upgrade was my only option - I must have benefited from a no-show or someone else upgrading from C->F to make space.

I'd flown in on a connecting Thai flight from Krabi, so arranged the upgrade ~2-3 hours prior to departure at the Royal Silk section of the BKK transfer desks found at the corner of concourse C & D. The ticket desk in Krabi said they couldn't arrange the BKK-LHR upgrade, but I guess there is no harm in asking anyone & everyone you see.

Once on board, both first & business were completely full, so looks like Thai are keeping up yields on the overnight flights despite economic doom & gloom. It had been a similar story on the way out LHR-BKK on TG917, with no availability in either C or F.
Excellent, thanks for that Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo, just what I wanted to know. ^
Old Dec 20, 2008, 3:01 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Ooohh... now you lot have gone and made me all excited!

I have a *A award from JNB to BKK and back in January. It's currently booked in bus because there is no first award availability despite empty cabins on my dates. But thanks to Bertheike's post and this one I see the tempting possibility of using a paid upgrade. I phoned TG at JNB and they confirmed that they do paid upgrades. The price quoted is USD825 now. And the procedure is to go to the premium SAA sales desk to process it.

Originally Posted by jn82
Also, how much earlier before the flight can and should I rock up to the counter and ask if there are standby upgrades available for purchase? Intend to be on a connecting flight from SIN, so can either come in a couple of days beforehand and do a stopover, take an earlier flight up on the day itself, or take a flight which arrives 2 hours before the BKK-LHR flight.
I'd appreciate any ideas on this. Would it work at any time after control for the flight has been handed to the airport (i.e. about 24 hours before departure)? For my JNB-BKK leg I will arrive in JNB the previous evening. Would that be too soon to enquire for a flight at 13h35 the next day?

Originally Posted by Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo
That will be my scenario on the return with just over 2 hours at BKK. Would be nice if it KBV could do it but based on your experience I won't get my hopes up.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I suggest that if you are keen, then call THAI and advise them that you intend seeking standby upgrade for the return leg (BKK-JNB) and that you would appreciate if they can make a note on the PNR. Then, when checking in at KBV, you can ask again about availability and ask for them to alert BKK load control. At BKK, go to the checkin for the desired classs of travel (F?) and see if seats are available.

I did this for sis, and at when passing through AKL (she'd checked in at WLG), the THAI staff were very proactive (even meeting her) and assisted with the paid standby upgrade (Y to C). Smooth as silk!

Good luck, TK

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Dec 20, 2008 at 10:48 am Reason: spelling...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.