Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best TG lounge at new BKK airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
Originally Posted by Trajan
last Friday, I was in the Royal Silk lounge in Concourse D....very busy, but not so crowded that you could not find a seat or even a slumber chair or internet terminal....

but after I had a few canapes and juices I left and visited the Royal Silk lounge in Concourse C....it was so quiet you could sleep in your chair....they seem to be on the very verge of opening the twin Royal Silk lounge just across the hall in Concourse C....

the lounge attendant said that both Royal Silk lounges in Concourse E are open, but I didnt have a chance to hike all the way over there....last time I was in Concourse E, I tried the CIP First class lounge, which was nice and they had paid foot massage available within the lounge....The larger CIP business class lounge in Concourse E was being used by Qantas, BA?, Emirates etc. pending their own lounge openings I think....
Same experience here with the Concourse D Lounge. Busy, but not so busy that you couldn't find a seat. Very different than when the airport first opened, but still a bit too busy for my liking.

The unopened Concourse C Lounge actually doesn't really look much different now than it did a month ago. A month ago the attendant in the opened Concourse C lounge said it's twin should be finished by the following week. So I think it's probably been finished for a while, but with minimal passengers in the present Concourse C lounge, it doesn't make any sense to open it up. One other reason I prefer the Concourse C Lounge over the Concourse D Lounge....no mirror over the urinals. Wonder who it was that decided putting a mirror over the urinals was a good idea?

As of last Friday, only the one Royal Silk Lounge on Concourse E was open. The other (the Royal Orchid Lounge) looked ready, but was closed. Maybe they just opened since then, or maybe they are not open as many hours as the other lounges. I didn't get a chance to go into the opened lounge there, but was wondering the same thing - whether it's a twin (actually triplet) of the Concourse C lounge or not.

I also tried out the Louis Tavern First Lounge on Concourse F. It was just okay in my opinion. I was there early in the morning and the sandwiches were stale, the same as back at Don Muang. They had pancakes and syrup, with ants getting into the syrup. And no internet, which being I don't like to lug my own notebook with me is a big minus for me. Their business class lounge was very busy - as you say serving as the contract lounge for other airlines - actually many airlines...I made lots of notes about all the various lounges at the airport but don't have those notes with me now. I'll post it later when I get a chance.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The staff explained the question that has been on the minds of some - what is the difference between Royal Silk and Royal Orchid Lounges...?

Answer:

- Royal Silk Lounges are for Business Class and *A Gold only

- Royal Orchid Lounges are 'dual-zone' having both Royal First and Royal Silk sections to them.

This makes perfect sense given that there is only 1 Royal First Lounge open at the moment in Concourse D, and those travelling F probably don't mind a shorter buggy ride.

I feel I deserve another Asahi after my contributions today.... !!

Cheers, TK
Thanks for that explanation. And you should treat yourself to two more Asahi's. I was always wondering about that naming difference but every time I visited the lounges forgot to ask them why. You mention that there is only one Royal First lounge open now, meaning the Royal First Lounge, as part of the Royal Orchid Lounge on Concourse E is not open. What about the rest of that Royal Orchid Lounge (the part for C / *A G Passengers) - is that open? Trajan posted that the TG attendant said both lounges on Concourse E are open. Just like to get confirmation as to whether there are one or two lounges on Concourse E that are open, and if so maybe a report on which one is best, how they compare to the other lounges, and if they have different operating hours than the other lounges.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Now in Koru Club AKL after 11 hours C on TG 989. Now awaiting domestic flight to WLG (yawn).

The Royal SILK Lounge in Concourse E is an exact copy of the one in Concourse C (except that staff seem prettier - but that is a subjective, male comment).

The Royal ORCHID Lounge in Concourse E was NOT open, and looked unfinished.

Cheers, TK (too juch Asahi I think...)
Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Soju
I'm not so sure about Star Golds getting access to the arrival lounge. What was the situation with the arrival lounge at Don Muang? I never used it so don't know for sure, but thought I saw an earlier post that it was only for TG C and F passengers - no * G, no other *A carrier's C & F passengers. Maybe someone who is familiar with the arrival lounge at Don Muang can clarify that.
I never saw an arrivals lounge at Don Muang....
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:11 am

I also tried out the Louis Tavern First Lounge on Concourse F. It was just okay in my opinion. I was there early in the morning and the sandwiches were stale, the same as back at Don Muang. They had pancakes and syrup, with ants getting into the syrup. And no internet, which being I don't like to lug my own notebook with me is a big minus for me. Their business class lounge was very busy - as you say serving as the contract lounge for other airlines - actually many airlines...I made lots of notes about all the various lounges at the airport but don't have those notes with me now. I'll post it later when I get a chance.
I liked the Louis Tavern First class lounge when I visited because it was virtually empty and I enjoyed the foot massage while drinking a gin& tonic (I didnt eat anything) .....it was a great escape from the overcrowded main TG Royal Silk lounge in Concourse D when the airport first opened... but now I'd probably skip visits to any Louis Tavern lounges (using my Priority Pass)...and just hit the TG lounges.....

do you know if there are plans for any other Star Alliance lounges at the BKK airport?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:41 pm

Finally got to pass by Suvarnabhumi last night on a transit from MNL to DEL; my first time since it opened. I must say that I got pretty much the same impressions as those written here (like a cold, gray CDG and still under construction in various areas).

I had a couple of hours to bum around and so tried the Royal Silk lounges on concourse D and C. The atmosphere for both lounges was similar and not too bad, but D was (as always?) rather crowded inside. I suppose that'll always be the case from hereon since it seems to be the first and nearest one that people will come across after checking in.

At the old airport I liked to do lounge hopping for a varied experience. I tried looking around to see if there were any indications of future *A lounges (especially for an SKL lounge, I like their dimsum) but unfortunately didn't come across any...

I'll be going back to BKK this evening for a day in Thailand before returning to KIX on Sunday. There'll be a little more time to explore the airport then.

KIXman@DEL
Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Trajan
do you know if there are plans for any other Star Alliance lounges at the BKK airport?
Don't know for sure, but I walked the entire Level 3 on a recent trip through BKK and had a look at every lounge or potential lounge location and didn't see any signs of any other *A lounges open or being constructed. I would have thought that SQ would want their own lounge at BKK, but evidently not or they're keeping it under wraps.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:43 am

I prefer the Concourse C Lounge over the Concourse D Lounge....no mirror over the urinals. Wonder who it was that decided putting a mirror over the urinals was a good idea?
This has to be the WORST design error in the entire airport. If someone is alongside you, the positioning of the mirror means looking at your fellow passenger as if he's literally just decided to drop his trousers and do it in front of you. Very off-putting.

At last though, the C room is opened. Very uncrowded last week... sadly though, the food is as dull and pastry-based as the old airport.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:36 pm

I'm back in Bangkok on my way back to KIX (via MNL, no empty seats on the direct flight )

I went through the lounges one more time and so far this is what I saw:

C concourse
- leftside Royal Silk open
- rightside Royal Silk not in service but with furniture already setup inside

D Concourse
- Royal Silk & Royal First open (everybody knows this of course)
- Royal Spa still not open

E Concourse
- leftside Royal Silk open
- rightside Royal Orchid not in service but with furniture draped in plastic setup inside

I also looked around for more signs of any lounges under construction (not necessarily *A) and there seems there might be one room for CX near the D / E / F / G councourse intersection (according to the construction permit, it was for Cathay). There are also other largish rooms but with no purpose yet, perhaps for future use?
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:34 pm

Programs: Thai Airways ROP *G; British Airways Executive Club Silver
Shhhh!...

Well after a farcical checkin at the 'gold-counter' (ie queue extending way beyond the holding area with many people clearly not knowing that it's for *G), i drudged to the lounge at concourse D to ask where the C lounge was. The Thai representative said C was much better because, "anni meun 'supermarket'" ("here it's like a supermarket"). Anyway, i made my way to C lounge (where i'm writing this), and as soon as i sat down, felt like i was back home TG style. It's much more relaxed, far less people, more intimate, and most importantly, the TG staff are unhurried and much more like the people that we knew and loved at the old airport lounge! What is more, for the first time i've ever seen in a thai lounge at breakfast time, they're serving extremely good quality scrambled eggs (and i mean, very very good!). Hot ham and bacon is also available*. Needless to say, the usual motley crew of assorted pasties & dreadful sandwiches are also available

So... anyway, do keep this to yourselves we wouldn't want it to become so busy that it loses the magic!

*I was just told they launched a new lounge menu yesterday

Cheers

dinbangkok

Last edited by dinbangkok; Dec 9, 2006 at 8:05 pm Reason: update info
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Five Star
Any updates of the free massages that were offered at DM?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by indiahoosier
Any updates of the free massages that were offered at DM?
we wont know for sure until the Royal Orchid Spa (across the hall from the main lounges in Concourse D) opens....I understand that it wont open until after the New Years....
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:47 am

I apologise if this is a re-post, but I haven't seen it anywhere on this thread yet... it's the Thai Airways lounge information website, and if you scroll to the bottom there is a pretty clear map of where the lounges are/will be when they open.

The reason I wanted to post it is that it's soooooooo very clear compared to any other map I've seen about the airport:

http://www.thaiair.com/Travel_Destin...es/default.htm

And here is a link to just the map:
http://static.flickr.com/143/3247471...888bb9.jpg?v=0
Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:10 pm

That map looks accurate except for the Arrival Lounge. From the map it appears that the location is along the side of the terminal, but AFAIK, this is not the case. The location is actually in the arrival hall, toward the front of the terminal, just to the left of domestic Exit A.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:02 am

That map looks accurate except for the Arrival Lounge. From the map it appears that the location is along the side of the terminal, but AFAIK, this is not the case. The location is actually in the arrival hall, toward the front of the terminal, just to the left of domestic Exit A.
yes, your description of the location of the arrival lounge is correct....do you know if its opened yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.