Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk can't seem to remember last viewed post

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by IBobi
Sorry Silver Fox; as I hope you can see, we are working this problem very actively, including daily participation in this thread by our actual technical lead, IBDick. Lots of members are constructively aiding in this process as well by providing details of their experience with the issue, which we deeply appreciate. Snark? Not so helpful.

We apologize again for the delay in resolving this; some things just are not easy to do and this frustrating glitch is unfortunately one of them. IBDick and I will keep updating this thread with our progress as we track down and fix the problem. Please keep the technical details coming!

Paul O'Brien
Community manager
FlyerTalk
Yes. See my post where I pointed out my experience too in an attempt to help. Perhaps if you updated it regularly instead of responding to posts then people might be aware that you are doing something - so, no, I cannot see that you are actively doing something.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBobi
Sorry Silver Fox; as I hope you can see, we are working this problem very actively, including daily participation in this thread by our actual technical lead, IBDick. Lots of members are constructively aiding in this process as well by providing details of their experience with the issue, which we deeply appreciate. Snark? Not so helpful.

We apologize again for the delay in resolving this; some things just are not easy to do and this frustrating glitch is unfortunately one of them. IBDick and I will keep updating this thread with our progress as we track down and fix the problem. Please keep the technical details coming!

Paul O'Brien
Community manager
FlyerTalk
Paul, may I make a suggestion? A daily formal update with, perhaps, a little basic info about what has been done, would counter the perception that IBB is content to just let the situation lie.

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
So for virtually every thread started in the past few days the "new posts" button takes me to start of thread. Older threads take me to some post in the thread (like this one, Post #37).

(begin speculation)I wonder if some counter max-ed out somewhere, or the board hit some kind of overflow. I note that we're now over 16 million posts.... could there be a register overflow around 16 million that causes later posts to not record as last read? (speculation off)

Sure hope something is found soon as reading FT has become a real chore.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
(begin speculation)I wonder if some counter max-ed out somewhere, or the board hit some kind of overflow. I note that we're now over 16 million posts.... could there be a register overflow around 16 million that causes later posts to not record as last read? (speculation off)
Code:
Who will post the 2^24th (16,777,216th) post that crashes FT?

Seriously, I did check to make sure that we are not quite there yet. We're currently still with fewer than 16.7M posts.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:26 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Nobody is content with this problem -- thus, our presence in this thread every day.

There really isn't a useful "regular" status update to make; when Dick or I post that we have tried something and ask members to watch for changes in the behavior of the site, that's when we have made a functional change. Otherwise it's a lot of poking around, running queries, and the like, trying to come up with a plan of action that we immediately post here.

I assure you, this is receiving priority attention and will be resolved as soon as possible. Yes, it is a frustrating one. We certainly get it. With your help, we'll resolve it soon. But posting, "Hey guys, we ran another day's worth of queries through the database," is not going to help -- if anything, it would take time away from helping. We're reading every post that's made here and it's been really helpful. Your patience is appreciated!

Paul

Originally Posted by PTravel
Paul, may I make a suggestion? A daily formal update with, perhaps, a little basic info about what has been done, would counter the perception that IBB is content to just let the situation lie.

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:58 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by jackal
I know the format of the URLs across FlyerTalk changed when IB inserted the vBSEO plugin. Most links (including, IIRC, the "magic" URL) were .php pages, whereas now they're all (including the "magic" URL) static.html pages.

That change was made years ago, though, and the problem seems to only now be surfacing. But the link code may not be core vB...
I remember that change (though we cannot call the pages static just because they use .html).

Viewing the details of the traffic we can see things like:

Code:
11:19:41.640 Status: pending GET http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-rapid-rewards/1230034-chase-rapid-reward-points-did-anyone-not-get-theirs-transferred-new-post.html

11:19:41.696 Status: 301[Moved Permanently] GET http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16635962#post16635962

11:19:42.890 Status: 200[OK] GET http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-rapid-rewards/1230034-chase-rapid-reward-points-did-anyone-not-get-theirs-transferred.html#post16635962

The URI points to the same (incorrect in this case) place in the thread both pre- and post- vbSEO, so we can rule that out.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by trainman74
Also broken for me, also using Firefox 5.0 (in Windows XP).
And now that I've logged on from home, using Safari 5.0.5 under Mac OS X 10.6.8, it is working perfectly -- I've been correctly taken to the first new post in every thread I've read.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Been working perfectly for me for several weeks in Chrome. Accidentally opened FT in FF5 last night and had deja vu while reading a thread. Yup, it had taken me back to June 6. (In the very-active Penalty Box, nonetheless!)
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
I am continuing to have problems with various browsers and various OSes.

It's getting very frustrating.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And now that I've logged on from home, using Safari 5.0.5 under Mac OS X 10.6.8, it is working perfectly -- I've been correctly taken to the first new post in every thread I've read.
I think we have worked out what platform it was tested on then ! Consider yourself lucky.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:55 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

It seems to be working for me thus far in Safari 5.0.5 on my Apple Macintosh computer, but the frustrating problem still exists in Firefox 5.0.

I will have to continue using FlyerTalk in Safari to see if it is working as intended...
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Aha!

So vB itself does not have the magic url feature? The code that adds that feature is something created by IB? Or does it come from a third party plug-in IB uses?
vB does, but it's in the forum of a parameter in the query string. The format is showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=1234567 where t is the thread ID.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
It seems to be working for me thus far in Safari 5.0.5 on my Apple Macintosh computer, but the frustrating problem still exists in Firefox 5.0.

I will have to continue using FlyerTalk in Safari to see if it is working as intended...
I'm primairly testing on FF5 on a Mac, as that is the most common browser reporting the problem, but I can't replicate it with my own viewed threads.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:24 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
I'm primairly testing on FF5 on a Mac, as that is the most common browser reporting the problem, but I can't replicate it with my own viewed threads.
There is a strong correlation between usage of "new" browsers (both IE9 and FF5) and this issue.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
As they say on Mythbusters, "Well, THERE's your problem!"

FF5 on a Mac is not the same as FF5 on a PC. I'd hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority of us experiencing this problem use PCs, and not Macs. Perhaps if you tested with the software AND OS, you might have a more reliable indicator of the issue?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:52 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Originally Posted by PTravel
FF5 on a Mac is not the same as FF5 on a PC. I'd hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority of us experiencing this problem use PCs, and not Macs. Perhaps if you tested with the software AND OS, you might have a more reliable indicator of the issue?
My Firefox 5.0 issue is indeed on an Apple Macintosh computer.

I have not tried Firefox on Windows 7 or Windows XP yet, although those browsers were not upgraded...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.