Flyertalk can't seem to remember last viewed post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk can't seem to remember last viewed post

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I clicked on the "Ticked @ Wife" thread in the DL forum this afternoon, and it took me to a post on June 6!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Upon the first run through of my subscribed threads, it seemed to be fixed, bringing me to posts timestamped last night or today. But a second notification of a new post brought me to something earlier today that I had already seen instead of the new post.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Was something changed? Everything seems to be working nicely for me so far this morning in FF 5.0.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by sc flier
Was something changed? Everything seems to be working nicely for me so far this morning in FF 5.0.
Unfortunately, still broken for me (Also FF 5.0)
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by sc flier
It all seemed to work first thing this morning with everything being new since I last checked FT last night, but now that new posts are coming in, it's the same old thing.

One thing that I did late yesterday, though, was mark all forums read. I wonder if that made the difference for me.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
This thread is stuck on Post #37 for me. Regardless of browser.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:04 am
Community Director Emerita

I marked all forums read last night. Today, on clicking the magic url, I get taken to a wide range of dates:

June 20
June 22
June 23
First unread post of today
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
"Mark this forum read" doesn't fix the problem. Posting in a thread where this occurs makes no difference (in this thread, I'm taken to Post 37, even though I made post 98). Mark all forums read doesn't fix it, either.

Seems to be getting worse for me rather than better.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:37 am

still broken for me.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Also broken for me, also using Firefox 5.0 (in Windows XP).
Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:19 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
Well, the database is marked correctly, because it says that you last viewed this thread at Wed, 29 Jun 2011 01:13:15 GMT, which is the exact time you posted your reply. If it's not directing you to the proper place, then it's got to be an issue with your setting to view 40 threads per page.

We will continue to investigate.
I changed my option for "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to "Use Forum Default" which had no effect on my experience. It is still broken exactly as I indicated above. In this thread, I keep getting taken to post #48, despite that being blatantly wrong and me subsequently viewing and posting many times after that.

Since it seems that many other users are reporting similar problems persisting even after the configuration change, I believe there is still an underlying issue that needs to be corrected on the server side. The issue is not corrected by adjusting the length of time last post viewed is kept in the database.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:42 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
The url is rewritten to a handler that uses the core vB files and modifies their output. :-) It's magic.
Aha!

So vB itself does not have the magic url feature? The code that adds that feature is something created by IB? Or does it come from a third party plug-in IB uses?

And what about the View First Unread link that appears on the thread pages? Is that a feature of vB itself or is it also added on? We have no evidence of malfunction for that code, do we?

I know from experience that debugging takes something like a minimum of 10x as long as anyone's most outrageous guess as to how long it ought to take, but I'm still puzzled as to why this problem is proving so hard to track down. We know the data is good, we know one piece of code consistently produces the right result for all browsers, we know another piece of code intermittently produces the wrong code for some browsers. Is that an accurate summary of what we know?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ftnoob
So vB itself does not have the magic url feature? The code that adds that feature is something created by IB? Or does it come from a third party plug-in IB uses?
I know the format of the URLs across FlyerTalk changed when IB inserted the vBSEO plugin. Most links (including, IIRC, the "magic" URL) were .php pages, whereas now they're all (including the "magic" URL) static.html pages.

That change was made years ago, though, and the problem seems to only now be surfacing. But the link code may not be core vB...
Old Jul 1, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well if IB is listening, you have made reading the forums a very average and mediocre experience.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:00 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Sorry Silver Fox; as I hope you can see, we are working this problem very actively, including daily participation in this thread by our actual technical lead, IBDick. Lots of members are constructively aiding in this process as well by providing details of their experience with the issue, which we deeply appreciate. Snark? Not so helpful.

We apologize again for the delay in resolving this; some things just are not easy to do and this frustrating glitch is unfortunately one of them. IBDick and I will keep updating this thread with our progress as we track down and fix the problem. Please keep the technical details coming!

Paul O'Brien
Community manager
FlyerTalk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.