Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk can't seem to remember last viewed post

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:54 am
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
I apologize that this issue is still outstanding, but I have no tech updates at this time.

I'm really not sure where this idea of creating multiple accounts to resolve this came from, but it's a non-starter; in terms of moderation, it can get all of your accounts banned, and in terms of resolving this tech issue, it will not help.

I am staying on top of this, and when I have some news from tech, I will post it here.

Thank you again for your patience,

Paul
Community Manager.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I will also mention that I've tried clearing cookies and cache and still have the same issue. It works well on my computer at work, which uses IE7, but at home, with IE9, it takes me to older posts.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:32 pm

Hi Kipper,

Thanks for the details; this seems to be a common refrain where this issue is concerned, which leads us to believe that the issue is not in fact with FT. It may be an IE issue, or an IE setup issue. I'm not sure there is a way for us to vet this fully, especially as it does not appear to be consistent in any meaningful way.

Looking through this thread, it is being reported by some people on multiple computers, and by others on just one and not another. Sometimes it appears to be resolved, and sometimes it reappears. There are some threads it impacts, but not others. By far, most users are not reporting an issue at all.

This kind of inconsistency in behavior points to something other than a site issue. Has anyone tried zeroing out their IE browser and see what happens? Or switching to FF/Chrome/Safari?

It still acts, looks, walks like a browser/setup issue, potentially related to IE9. I doubt we'll have an in-house remedy for this.

Paul
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Just confirmed it's relatively repeatable (i.e. not every thread) on IE8 on WinXP.

My other laptop with Win7 and IE9 died, so I can't do a comparison test on that.

However, it consistently doesn't happen on any variation of Firefox or Chrome (or even Safari) that I try.

From what I can tell so far, the URL (with the anchor on the end, i.e. #post19203492 or whatever) actually appears to be the same in both browsers. Perhaps IE is just misinterpreting the anchor positioning? Don't quote me 100% on that, though--I only thought to look at that briefly before I closed a tab, and now I can't get IE to replicate the error, so I can't confirm that is indeed the case.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by IBobi
Thanks for the details; this seems to be a common refrain where this issue is concerned, which leads us to believe that the issue is not in fact with FT. It may be an IE issue, or an IE setup issue. I'm not sure there is a way for us to vet this fully, especially as it does not appear to be consistent in any meaningful way.
I thought FT moved to keeping track of last post viewed in the database a year or so ago. I'm having the issue and using IE9 now, but I believe the problem started for me a week or so before I upgraded. I'm perpetually stuck on May 26 on one thread.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I use FF ... currently 5 ... on XP almost exclusively and update automatically.

I did use IE8 once, a few weeks ago on a lounge PC, but this problem is still happening randomly on threads created since then. Some threads I have participated in, others I'm just following.

What is the program logic for determining the "You last visited" date/time ? It says I was last on 5 hours ago when in fact I just had a break of about an hour during my commute home. Generally I pop in and out most days.

Yes, this is extremely frustrating
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Add me to the list of people having this issue: I am running Windows 7 with IE9 on one laptop and Windows XP with IE7 on another and having the issue on both. Please advise when you have a way ahead.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:11 am

A left-field question: is anyone who's having this problem also a regular user of other VB-based forum sites? If so, on the computers you're having this problem with on FT, does the problem persist on the other forum sites?

Guessing yes...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
A left-field question: is anyone who's having this problem also a regular user of other VB-based forum sites? If so, on the computers you're having this problem with on FT, does the problem persist on the other forum sites?

Guessing yes...
I'm also having the problem on FT only.

And yes, I participate in several other VB sites WITHOUT a problem (including one where I'm an admin).

Problem on this end occurs with Firefox on both WinXP and Win7 (2 computers). It only started in the last couple of weeks, prior to that all was fine.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Have had the problem ongoing for about a week. Using only FF.

Mike
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use FT daily (as well as several other forums) and I've just started experiencing this problem in the last two days. Very annoying!

Two browsers for me - Safari and Firefox on Mac.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:47 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold

Guessing yes...
In the last week, I've started to encounter this problem. I'm running Windows 7 and Firefox 5.0.

Examples of threads where I'm encountering the problem:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ng-licens.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ttendants.html

Both consistently take me to June 20 posts.

I frequent LTHforum.com, which I think is a VB-based site, but no similar problems there.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm having the same problem. I've cleared out my cache, but the problem recurs. FireFox 5.0 on Win7.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strangely, for me, some subscriptions take me to the right place. Others are frozen as of earlier this week.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guessing yes...
Definitely no.

Any update on what's going on here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.