FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Flyertalk can't seem to remember last viewed post (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1202102-flyertalk-cant-seem-remember-last-viewed-post.html)

baliktad Apr 4, 2011 10:14 pm

Flyertalk can't seem to remember last viewed post

The "Go to last unread" button is the only way I can keep up with the massive amount of information on FT. However, lately, it has basically stopped working altogether. Most threads get "stuck" on one post, even after the thread has reached the next page (and I've read everything that has been posted since!). I don't know what to do, but it's driving me up the wall, as it's nearly impossible to scroll to the right post anymore.

Please help!

IBobi Apr 5, 2011 11:15 am

I would guess you're having a browser issue.

Try clearing out your cookies & cache. Revert to a previous version of your browser. Try a different browser (IE, FF, Chrome). Delete any plugins you've added.

Any change you make to your browser will change your browsing experience, so keep this in mind when you're prompted to upgrade.

zbenye Apr 8, 2011 6:34 pm

I have the same problem as baliktad reported. It's not a browser or cache issue, because it happens on 4 different computers that I've tried so far, different combinations of XP, Win7, IE8, IE9. This started about a week ago. Extremely annoying.

IBobi Apr 8, 2011 7:01 pm

IB Tech has been alerted. Thanks.

baliktad Apr 10, 2011 5:07 pm

I have upgraded to IE9 on both computers I use to access FT with, don't have/use any other browsers.

This is getting to the point where FT is almost unusable for me. I am spending more time clicking and scrolling through than I am actually reading content. Please advise whether this problem is being addressed.

IBobi Apr 11, 2011 11:47 am

See above post.

zbenye Apr 13, 2011 10:18 am

If it helps your troubleshooting: it seems that this problem occurs with some threads, but not all. It is consistently happening with the following sample threads:

Miles&Points > Hotel Deals > Daily Hotel Deals (Groupon-Voyage Privé-Bloomspot-etc)

Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion > Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

When I click on go to last post for these threads, it takes me about a week back (despite reading daily and clicking "mark this forum as read").

IBobi Apr 13, 2011 11:49 am

That's great specific info and will help us track down the issue -- more like that, please :)

I re-visited this with Tech a few minutes ago. They are going to try to track it down today. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the follow-up!

lewinr Apr 15, 2011 12:39 am

Having the same problem during the past few weeks after upgrade to IE9. It's making me crazy! Hope we can resolve this soon.

In my case here is a copy of the shortcut from MyFlyertalk that has this problem:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-new-post.html

I am unable to determine if I have this with only some or all threads.

The problem appears to be like this:
- subscribed thread with new posts shows up in MyFlyertalk
- I click the "go to first new post" button
- thread opens up and I am taken to post number 123 (for example).
- I mark the thread as read and then it disappears from MyFlyertalk subscribed posts
- Somebody posts a new message in that thread
- thread re-appears in MyFlyertalk
- clicking on "go to first new post" takes me to post number 123 instead of the actual new post.

So now I have a situation on fast moving threads where clicking "go to first new post" will actually take me to some post that is even a few pages before the actual new post. (And I need to manually find where the new posts start).

Thaks
Ron

baliktad Apr 17, 2011 10:37 pm

Here's one thread that is notably a problem for me (many/all threads have problems, but this on occurs frequently because it's a busy topic):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ne-points.html
The link in My FlyerTalk to go to the first unread looks like this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-new-post.html

I have clicked on this link many times over the last few weeks, usually staying up to date with posts. But every time I click it, FT only ever jumps to post #167, made over two weeks ago. I've read every post since then, but no matter how many pages I click on, FT will never bring me to any post farther than #167.

The odd part is that if I do click the last page of posts, FT seems to understand that I have read the last post, and the thread will disappear from My FlyerTalk until someone makes a new post in the thread. So somewhere, somehow, FT knows what I've read and what I haven't, but it refuses to use that knowledge to get me to the right place.

IBobi Apr 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Interesting. When I click on that, it brings me to the last post (#346).

baliktad Apr 18, 2011 9:40 pm

I don't doubt that the issue doesn't occur for you, because the "first unread post" feature is specific to each user. Depending on how often we view the thread, my first unread post will be different than your first unread post.

In any case, the issue seems to improving but not yet totally fixed. The link in the Capital One thread above now takes me to post #338 created this morning, even after I read through post #348. Then just a few minutes ago someone posted a new post #349, yet the link still only takes me to #338.

zbenye Apr 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Seems like I don't have this problem anymore.

baliktad Apr 25, 2011 1:29 pm

I am cautiously optimistic that this issue has been resolved for me as well. I will continue to observe and report any discrepancies.

lewinr May 1, 2011 1:26 am

I still have the problem :(