Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:34 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
So is it a good bet that all votes will last the full 2 weeks from here on out?
Magic Eight Ball says: As I see it, yes.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:47 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RichMSN
To me this is no different than people who get MQMs from credit card spend. There will always be those on FT who consider those people to be "cheating" their way to status.
Many UK-based members of BA Executive Club felt similarly when Chase began handing out 100k boni for new credit card accounts. That single factor created a huge divide on the BA forum here. Unlike for post counts, real-world value was behind that irritation.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I had hoped to have some time between when OMNI posts started counting and the deadline for this vote in order to gauge whether posters would 'abuse' games, or if there was a bit of chicken little going on with regard to counting game posts.
Hopefully the moderators are prepared to apply consistency on the rules.. whatever that may look like.. It will be up to them to assess the 'abuse' on games..
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:52 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Hopefully the moderators are prepared to apply consistency on the rules.. whatever that may look like.. It will be up to them to assess the 'abuse' on games..
There are two competing principles in play (pun intended):

1. Simple rules are easier to comply with and easier to enforce.

2. A simple or overly specific set of criteria on what is inevitably a judgment call is an engraved invitation to members who enjoy probing the limits, getting as close to the line as they possibly can without going over. We FTers are gamers through and through.

I expect that if any formal rules are published, that will only occur after both posters and moderators have had plenty of experience on this subject. However this is just my conjecture, since I do not expect to be directly involved.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
We're up to the task.

Thanks for your consideration.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by matthandy
That's total nonsense, walk up to a lady in the street and call her 'fat'. Then tell her that it's her fault for being insulted. You aren't living in the real world if you honestly believe that, but it's clear we are never going to agree.

My point is about volumes and about content.

The number of people who may find trip reports meaningless is going to be significantly less than those that don't. Trip reports have content, therefore they have meaning. Counting games have no content!!

'Games' in general can build the community, I get that. Counting games however, add nothing. Or are you honestly trying to say that they do? It would be great to get an answer to that question from all of the supporters of games threads.

Why should some members be allowed to cheat their way to status? Or is the answer that we should all just do it to highlight the total nonsense the post counts have become?

On the consistency arguement: doing something for the sake of it, or to continue the status quo are rarely good enough reasons. I meet people in my job every day who just want the new product to be exactly the same as the old one. How does anyone or anything grow and develop if we just continue with the same old ideas and concepts? So, the consistency arguement doesn't wash with me.
When you choose to get offended at what someone says, you make a choice. I could go up to someone and call them fat. They could get offended, and be mad, even though there may be some truth there, or they could say, "Yes, I am. So?" It's a choice.

Just because a post has content does not mean it has meaning. Every post has content of some sort, whether numbers, a few paragraphs of something, a +1 and a quoted post, or a ^ and a quoted post. However, unless you are saying that every post, even if it's just a ^ or and a quoted post, except for those which contain only numbers has meaning, your logic is flawed.

Why should members be allowed to "cheat their way to status" by posting only in lounge threads or contest threads?

FT'ers are generally the type that collect status and points/miles. Some "game" the points/miles system in many different ways, from receiving points, miles, or EQMs for credit card spending to the PriorityClub option that allows you to purchase points at a lower rate, or their Visa promotion that was supposed to be for those staying at one of their hotels, but that resulted in many others being given the codes. Is it any different with post counts here? No, not really. As such, why call out a specific forum and insist that posts there, regardless of how much community building it may or may not do, will not count, when the same post, in a lounge thread, counts?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dhammer53
The gamers aren't here to talk miles and points. They're here to waste time.

Flyertalk is an incredible website. All these game threads bring FT down. Please note, I've participated once every blue moon in the game threads.

That's my 2 cents.
Did those threads bring FT down before? Or did they prop it up by giving FT two or more cents?

I participated a wee bit in some word game threads (including with posts that are part of a thread in an airline forum) and I also posted in the thread about who will be the next FTer to post. Doing that didn't seem to do any harm, and I say that even as I found them to be a waste of time. But "waste" is in the eyes of the beholder -- one person's waste can be another person's treasure, as I realized yet again when a possessive little relative got annoyed that the child's "diaper sausage" was being discarded along with the soiled diaper. Apparently even feces can be valuable -- and not just select deposits from birds on some island or some kind of feline who knows where.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Cholula
And I'd also like to hear from the gamers who post to these threads as to why they think they should count.

I'd like to see arguments on both sides of this issue.
They should count because folks who wanted the OMNI posts to count argued "consistency" and "a post is a post is a post". They wanted to end post segregation. Why start that again by segragating "Games" posts? Why not take a "wait and see" approach to determine empirically whether "Games" posts are even a real issue in terms of inflated posts counts. Why would someone care about another's post count anyway?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Apparently, you do. I do as well, but for different reasons that I know I've stated many times, including to you.

Why do you care so much?

I agree with this as well - however, because of past history, games need to be excluded - or the mods have to agree to consider counting post padding. Either would be fine with me.
Why? You were just arguing that we need "consistency" when TalkBoard voted to count OMNI posts. Now you want to segregate certain posts? How is that "consistent"?

Not to mention that there ought to be a waiting period to see whether "Games" posts are even an issue with regards to inflated post counts. Even if they are, why the level of someone else's post count matter to you or anyone else?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I voted the same.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I was up in the air on this one. I read the posts for/against, and some valid arguments were made on both sides.

Ultimately I decided that we couldn't vote to have posts count in all FT forums and then turn around & immediately say well except for this one. I think we need to be consistent.

I also have enough faith in FTers for them to decide for themselves whether the content someone posts in a forum is valid based on what they say, and not just a # under their handle. I say this as someone who does post what I think is good information in the forums & doesn't play the games.

Cheers.
Bravo! ^ ^ ^
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Why? You were just arguing that we need "consistency" when TalkBoard voted to count OMNI posts. Now you want to segregate certain posts? How is that "consistent"?

Not to mention that there ought to be a waiting period to see whether "Games" posts are even an issue with regards to inflated post counts. Even if they are, why the level of someone else's post count matter to you or anyone else?
I've explained it many, many times.

It was the counting games that got so out of hand that Randy just stopped counting Omni rather than deal with the abusers.

There were a few people counting all day and all night, and people from outside of Omni were complaining that when they clicked on "new posts" all they got at the top were Omni counting games.

So he shut off posts counting in Omni. Guess what? The abusers stopped counting.

My inconsistency comes from that experience - and I think I posted this before - those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

In a status conscious community, particularly with titles being granted for the number of posts one makes, allowing those types of threads to exist is just asking for it.

That is my only reason. I would much rather see the moderators of Omni simply not permit them. I wouldn't care if a few counting games that have long existed and actually say something in them besides a number, were allowed to remain. They were never a problem. But the mods have already said they will not consider counting post padding, so that's why I'm for segregating games and not have them count.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:04 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yes you have, Mary, and I found your explanation persuasive.

koko said it best:

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Everyone has a different and somewhat strong opinion on it.

The only thing most people agree on is that it doesn't matter, though.
I am amused by posts that say, in essence, "This issue matters deeply to me even though it should not matter to any normal person."
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was the counting games that got so out of hand that Randy just stopped counting Omni rather than deal with the abusers.

There were a few people counting all day and all night, and people from outside of Omni were complaining that when they clicked on "new posts" all they got at the top were Omni counting games.

So he shut off posts counting in Omni. Guess what? The abusers stopped counting.

My inconsistency comes from that experience - and I think I posted this before - those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

In a status conscious community, particularly with titles being granted for the number of posts one makes, allowing those types of threads to exist is just asking for it.

That is my only reason. I would much rather see the moderators of Omni simply not permit them. I wouldn't care if a few counting games that have long existed and actually say something in them besides a number, were allowed to remain. They were never a problem. But the mods have already said they will not consider counting post padding, so that's why I'm for segregating games and not have them count.
OK, but how hard is it to monitor a handful of "abusers" and reign them in? Why, in one breath, should we start counting OMNI posts, and in the very next breath, start segregating again? There's no logic to that. Not to mention that we ought to wait to see if history, indeed, repeats itself.

And, really, what difference do the titles make? Are there going to be that many people who earn the cherished "Evangelist" title by participating in "Games" threads? That argument smacks of the "haves" not wanting the "have-nots" to "earn status".
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Yes you have, Mary, and I found your explanation persuasive.
So you're of the opinion that the only way to prevent "post-padding" is to segregate yet another forum? Don't you want to take some time to see if these fears of "post-padding" come to fruition? I would think that the Moderators could do a nice job of monitoring that situation. Why the need for a blanket decision, particularly after agreeing that OMNI posts should count?

And are the titles "earned" by post counts really that worthy of "protection" against post-padding abusers? Worrying that folks will "cheat" their way to "Evangelist" status doesn't give the FT membership much credit for being able to figure out a member's true "contribution" to the community. I, for one, am pretty good at figuring out who got his/her "status" based on real contributions towards FT's real mission/objective and those who got there by playing "Games".
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by dchristiva
OK, but how hard is it to monitor a handful of "abusers" and reign them in? Why, in one breath, should we start counting OMNI posts, and in the very next breath, start segregating again? There's no logic to that. Not to mention that we ought to wait to see if history, indeed, repeats itself.
Because the mods have said they do not consider counting post padding.
And, really, what difference do the titles make? Are there going to be that many people who earn the cherished "Evangelist" title by participating in "Games" threads? That argument smacks of the "haves" not wanting the "have-nots" to "earn status".
Hey, I couldn't care less if they removed my Omni posts from under my name as well as the title. The only one that means anything to me is the Ambassador title, and that's because it was something I earned by helping people.

So, I've explained this to you umpteen times across multiple threads. Just recently a few minutes ago 3 posts ago. Am I speaking in tongues and just don't see it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.