Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ewrfox
If people start spamming Omni by inflating their post counts then they should be kicked out.
How, exactly, do you spam a number counting thread? Are you suggesting a maximum amount of numbers that can be posted per day?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Funny, how some post in Games/Omni all the while post don't count..
With the new TB motion passed, on a goforward the posts will count..

Ladies and gentlemen.. start your engines.. is the sentiment of a few..
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
How, exactly, do you spam a number counting thread? Are you suggesting a maximum amount of numbers that can be posted per day?
You have the current lot of posters who has been posting the games while posts don't count. Out of the lot of posters I see one who recently started going on a posting binge. Look at the people who has been posting in such threads and look at the new people who decided to join omni the minute the counters are turned on. Its not hard to notice some on a posting binge and those posters who go on a binge should not be allowed in Omni as they have no other purpose except to inflate their ego.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Its not hard to notice some on a posting binge and those posters who go on a binge should not be allowed in Omni as they have no other purpose except to inflate their ego.
Will be interesting if the OMNI moderators will be on the prowl for that, paricularly in number counting threads. As some members got 20-30,000 posts in those when the counter was on before, I'd expect to see similar attempts once that counter is back on.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've made my views on this known in other threads, but I'll do so again. Games posts should definitely not count.

I am proud of my contribution to FT and although my post count is low, my posts are long and full of lots of info (trip reports). How can my contribution and that of almost all posting members of FT be measured equally as those that just post a single digit number repeatedly and add absolutely nothing to the community in the process?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by matthandy
I've made my views on this known in other threads, but I'll do so again. Games posts should definitely not count.

I am proud of my contribution to FT and although my post count is low, my posts are long and full of lots of info (trip reports). How can my contribution and that of almost all posting members of FT be measured equally as those that just post a single digit number repeatedly and add absolutely nothing to the community in the process?
They can't just post a "single digit number repeatedly," as the software requires at least a 5 character post. There are other games that do not involve just that, but build community. For some, trip reports or posts that are long and full of lots of info can be as meaningless as you think the games threads are. Not everyone finds one forum on FT useful and containing lots of information. That's the beauty of it, in that we all are able to have our preferences and likes/dislikes.

Especially if the game threads are in a separate forum, why shouldn't they count? Someone could post exactly the same information in a lounge thread and have the post count.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are NO other threads where EVERY post is a 5 digit number

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there are NO other threads where EVERY post is "12345"
There are no threads where EVERY post is "12345."
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
"If the Community Director creates a Games forum, the TalkBoard recommends that posts made in the Games forum be excluded from a member's post count."
Who wouldn't agree with this??

Counting Game post (and Omni post) only soothe egos of many members who feel it's important (to their egos).

Why is TB even considering these silly (IMHO) issues when there's real work to be done?

dh
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Who wouldn't agree with this??

Counting Game post (and Omni post) only soothe egos of many members who feel it's important (to their egos).

Why is TB even considering these silly (IMHO) issues when there's real work to be done?

dh
See my other post. Empty words and all that...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dhammer53
dh
Because some of us can actually multitask.

Hell, I can even rub my stomach, pat my head, moderate several forums and address several TB motions at the same time while sipping a beverage and eating a sandwich.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula
Because some of us can actually multitask.

Hell, I can even rub my stomach, pat my head, moderate several forums and address several TB motions at the same time while sipping a beverage and eating a sandwich.
Wow, do you have 4 hands? I only have 2 hands, so when I get in to rubbing my tummy, patting my head, sipping a beverage, and eating a sandwich, I don't seem to have enough hands.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Personally, I'd prefer excluding game posts altogether from the post count, as in my mind the game forum, etc. is just too tangental to the purpose of flyertalk (again, just my opinion, obviously others have a different view and engage in flyertalk for different purposes).

I would view having two post counts as a distant second choice, if it were feasible.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kipper
Wow, do you have 4 hands? I only have 2 hands, so when I get in to rubbing my tummy, patting my head, sipping a beverage, and eating a sandwich, I don't seem to have enough hands.
Cholula also has two feet, as well as enough hot sauce to drown a whale.

This sounds like the development of a new game in the OMNI forum. How about we —

...oh, yeah — right...that leads us right back to the topic of this discussion.

I apologize in advance if the virtual image I portrayed here regarding the prowess of Cholula occurred if you were eating while reading this discussion...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Cholula also has two feet, as well as enough hot sauce to drown a whale.

This sounds like the development of a new game in the OMNI forum. How about we —

...oh, yeah — right...that leads us right back to the topic of this discussion.

I apologize in advance if the virtual image I portrayed here regarding the prowess of Cholula occurred if you were eating while reading this discussion...
I don't think I'm quite that flexible to eat with my feet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.