Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I support a seperate games forum.. and no brainer ime that the posts don't count in the games forum
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am in favor of every post counting and of not segregating the games out.

However, I promised 2 other TB members my affirmative vote on both the Games measure in order to ensure the generic "count all posts" measure passing. Therefore, both these measures have received my vote.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:39 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by RichMSN

However, I promised 2 other TB members my affirmative vote on both the Games measure in order to ensure the generic "count all posts" measure passing. Therefore, both these measures have received my vote.
^^ on keeping your word!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RichMSN

RichMSN, I salute you for proposing and executing this compromise which I believe will serve FT well for many years to come. Your solution was creative and effective. This is a TalkBoard that knows how to work together to get things done!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
So can someone clarify the doom and gloom scenario that would happen if posts in game threads in their own forum started counting? Because at this point, the burden of proof should be on those who want the status quo to change.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
So can someone clarify the doom and gloom scenario that would happen if posts in game threads in their own forum started counting? Because at this point, the burden of proof should be on those who want the status quo to change.
And I'd also like to hear from the gamers who post to these threads as to why they think they should count.

I'd like to see arguments on both sides of this issue.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kipper
They can't just post a "single digit number repeatedly," as the software requires at least a 5 character post.
Ok, so they pad it out with white space or other characters.

Originally Posted by kipper
For some, trip reports or posts that are long and full of lots of info can be as meaningless as you think the games threads are..
I'm interested to hear that you suggest trip reports are meaningless. The view counts certainly suggest otherwise. One of my trip reports alone has over 78,000 views. The top 10 reports account for over 850,000 views and associated ad-revenue. How many views do the counting threads have?

What value do counting threads bring to FT compared to trip reports? What information can one gain from a counting thread? Answer, absolutely nothing.

I find your post quite offensive to many of us that pour hours of our own personal time into trip reports that are very well and gratefully received by many thousands of FTers.

Here's the solution: count everything, then get rid of post counts.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by matthandy
What value do counting threads bring to FT compared to trip reports? What information can one gain from a counting thread? Answer, absolutely nothing.
I'd add, do we really want the first poster to achieve 100,000 posts here to get there from counting numbers? That's the track we were on before when Randy shut down the OMNI counter. If SanDiego1K and Internet Brands offered an award to that person for their contributions to FlyerTalk, would they really want to recognize someone that excels at counting numbers for their contribution to a forum that is still primarily to discuss travel? I would hope not.

I've had one FTer tell me he makes friends from number counting threads. That's all taking place off line or via PM as I don't see a couple paragraphs to go along with those numbers, or even a "Good Morning" like you see in a lounge thread. To me number counting threads add zero value to FlyerTalk. OMNI, on the other hand, where members type paragraphs of information and have discussions on their posts, does add value to FT.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Proof has been provided by others in the form of links to the games threads with one person having over 20k posts in a short period of time. There were others listed as well.

This single issue was the reason Omni posts stopped counting. I would prefer to see the mods simply not allow them, but since they have said they will, this is the only way to prevent people from gaining status by counting 12345, 23456 all day and all night long.

I'm sure you've been involved in all these conversations, did you not see all the responses to this question you keep asking?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Cholula
And I'd also like to hear from the gamers who post to these threads as to why they think they should count.
The gamers aren't here to talk miles and points. They're here to waste time.

Flyertalk is an incredible website. All these game threads bring FT down. Please note, I've participated once every blue moon in the game threads.

That's my 2 cents.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Proof has been provided by others in the form of links to the games threads with one person having over 20k posts in a short period of time. There were others listed as well.

This single issue was the reason Omni posts stopped counting. I would prefer to see the mods simply not allow them, but since they have said they will, this is the only way to prevent people from gaining status by counting 12345, 23456 all day and all night long.

I'm sure you've been involved in all these conversations, did you not see all the responses to this question you keep asking?
My response? Who cares? How is your FT experience any worse if someone has a huge post count under their name? How does someone gaining "status" (whatever that means, since the only tangible benefit is 2 words under their name) detrimental to the community?

Someone can +1, I agree, or post in the Lounge threads all day and all night and accomplish the same goal.

Past discussion have revealed to me that post counts are so corrupted by this point, that they have become meaningless. Therefore, for simplicity sake, either have all posts count, or no posts count.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
My response? Who cares? How is your FT experience any worse if someone has a huge post count under their name? How does someone gaining "status" (whatever that means, since the only tangible benefit is 2 words under their name) detrimental to the community?

Someone can +1, I agree, or post in the Lounge threads all day and all night and accomplish the same goal.
Apparently, you do. I do as well, but for different reasons that I know I've stated many times, including to you.

Why do you care so much?

Past discussion have revealed to me that post counts are so corrupted by this point, that they have become meaningless. Therefore, for simplicity sake, either have all posts count, or no posts count.
I agree with this as well - however, because of past history, games need to be excluded - or the mods have to agree to consider counting post padding. Either would be fine with me.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by matthandy
Ok, so they pad it out with white space or other characters.

I'm interested to hear that you suggest trip reports are meaningless. The view counts certainly suggest otherwise. One of my trip reports alone has over 78,000 views. The top 10 reports account for over 850,000 views and associated ad-revenue. How many views do the counting threads have?

I find your post quite offensive to many of us that pour hours of our own personal time into trip reports that are very well and gratefully received by many thousands of FTers.

Here's the solution: count everything, then get rid of post counts.
I'm sorry that you've decided to be offended, but that's your decision.

My comment was that to some, trip reports are meaningless. Not to everyone, but to some. I'd guess that at least a few people have never ventured into the trip reports forum. To others, OMNI games are meaningless, while to others, they provide value, or entertainment, just like trip reports do. Each person will have a different view of value of content in each forum. The European Rail Travel forum is, to me, meaningless, because I do not have a need for information provided in it, or anything to add to the conversation. That doesn't mean that others don't find great value in it, simply that I don't find value in it. You don't find value in OMNI games, which is fine. No one is forcing you to visit the game threads, no one is forcing you to read them.

At least one of the counting threads has 74,917 views thus far. that's the only one currenlty on the first page of OMNI, I think because the others have been completed.

Post counts are corrupt now, and have been for years, between prior OMNI posts counting and all of the contest threads where people were entered to win a contest if they simply posted in a thread.

Why the push now to not count certain threads?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Apparently, you do. I do as well, but for different reasons that I know I've stated many times, including to you.

Why do you care so much?

I agree with this as well - however, because of past history, games need to be excluded - or the mods have to agree to consider counting post padding. Either would be fine with me.
Past history = people with high post counts?

Again, how does someone else having a inflated post count hurt you or the community?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dhammer53
The gamers aren't here to talk miles and points. They're here to waste time.

Flyertalk is an incredible website. All these game threads bring FT down. Please note, I've participated once every blue moon in the game threads.

That's my 2 cents.
I've done a check - there aren't actually that many game threads & they're in a forum that isn't open unless someone has 180/180, so I'm a bit perplexed on how 'all these game threads bring FT down'.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.