Search

Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tom911
I bumped up about 6 games in a row last week just to remind myself what it looked like before. I can bump them up again if you'd like. They'll be a lot more FTers than me bumping those threads onto the first page if they accrue towards post count. No doubt in my mind after seeing FTers rack up 20K-30K in number counting threads when they did count.
I figured someone was bumping them up to 'game' the discussion (pun intended). I would have rather waited to see if the problem actually manifested vs everyone just assuming it would happen. I'm not much into sky is falling stuff. Of course someone can do quite a few hello posts in the lounge threads to rack up numbers, so I'm not totally buying that it really makes a difference between games & lounge threads. I guess I'm still of the mindset that people actually read the content of one's posts in the various forums to judge value vs. just applying it to a # under someone's handle. Shrug.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 26, 2012 at 3:35 pm
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:06 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BadTime
Because someone finds value in it or they wouldn't do it. Others say they have made friends through some games. Once again they are red headed step children and some find value in it.

I've read these forums and NUMEROUS times saw count all or it isn't fair. Do this and a month later it will be brought up for a vote again.

Let's make everyone of equal value (except for under 180 posters) and be done with it.
I don't know about a month, but I would hope that at some time, TalkBoard does revisit this if the motion passes.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I figured someone was bumping them up to 'game' the discussion (pun intended). I would have rather waited to see if the problem actually manifested vs everyone just assuming it would happen. I'm not much into sky is falling stuff. Of course someone can do quite a few hello posts in the lounge threads to rack up numbers, so I'm not totally buying that it really makes a difference between games & lounge threads. I guess I'm still of the mindset that people actually read the content of one's posts in the various forums to judge value vs. just applying it to a # under someone's handle. Shrug.

Cheers.
Thanks Sharon! I'm glad to know there are at least a few people on TalkBoard who would like to see if there is a problem before creating a solution.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
I think there are some people who feel that the games forum motion and this motion were done prematurely, as a solution without a problem, since it is anyone's guess as to if games threads would fill the first page of OMNI.

As far as counting posts, again, to me, part of it is consistency. There was just a vote for consistency, only to now throw this in there and not have consistency again.
To avoid confusion.. the multiple motions should have been combined into one motion.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
To avoid confusion.. the multiple motions should have been combined into one motion.
Having separate motions allowed those on TalkBoard who felt that 1 or 2 motions were a good idea, but the other 1 or 2 were not, to vote accordingly.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
This has been fascinating thread to read. I had no idea people took post counts so seriously.

If we're going to count posts, and keep the counts public, why not count them all? And if "evangelist" status is an issue, is there a way to count only posts in specific forums toward it?

Originally Posted by Cholula
Are you kidding me??

I've got more titles under my handle than a third world dictator.

I like it that way. I'm a collector of things regardless of their value.
When I grow up, I'm going to be just like you. Only better-looking.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by hoyateach
This has been fascinating thread to read. I had no idea people took post counts so seriously.

If we're going to count posts, and keep the counts public, why not count them all? And if "evangelist" status is an issue, is there a way to count only posts in specific forums toward it?

When I grow up, I'm going to be just like you. Only better-looking.
Apparently number of posts is important to some. The sooner everyone is to "evangelist" the better. That is unless it has some real value, I don't know.

I am starting suspect that the more posts you have the ruder you can be without being called out on it. In which case I really need the max number of posts that can be displayed.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Having separate motions allowed those on TalkBoard who felt that 1 or 2 motions were a good idea, but the other 1 or 2 were not, to vote accordingly.
True.. though the TB meant for the two motions to pass together as I believe Carol is holding back Omni Posts counting until the Games forum passes..
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I believe Carol is holding back Omni Posts counting until the Games forum passes..
The longer the better. ^

Shameless plug below.

dh
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhammer53
The longer the better. ^

Shameless plug below.

dh
When is the Games Forum vote conclusion.. I thought it was the end of the month, and we should be getting close to a finalized vote count..
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:33 am

True.. though the TB meant for the two motions to pass together as I believe Carol is holding back Omni Posts counting until the Games forum passes..
I think this is correct.
When is the Games Forum vote conclusion.. I thought it was the end of the month, and we should be getting close to a finalized vote count..
End of the month, or whenever all TalkBoard members vote, but I think there's still at least 1 outstanding vote.

Last edited by kipper; Jan 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
End of the month, or whenever all TalkBoard members vote, but IIRC, there's still at least 1 outstanding vote.
Unless three members have already voted "no" and five have voted "yes", in which case that last vote will be crucial and the TB member is giving it very serious consideration, I suspect that whoever that final member is he is simply having a snit fit and purposely delaying the announcement.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Dovster
Unless three members have already voted "no" and five have voted "yes", in which case that last vote will be crucial and the TB member is giving it very serious consideration, I suspect that whoever that final member is he is simply having a snit fit and purposely delaying the announcement.
If that is the case, I am given to understand that it is a TB member's prerogative to purposely delay the announcement as part of a snit fit. @:-)

Or, as Jenbel used to say, throw his (or her) teddy from the pram.

The TB guidelines prohibit me from saying anything more.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If that is the case, I am given to understand that it is a TB member's prerogative to purposely delay the announcement as part of a snit fit. @:-)

Or, as Jenbel used to say, throw his (or her) teddy from the pram.

The TB guidelines prohibit me from saying anything more.
+1.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You know, during the initial vote, when in passing, someone mentioned they were waiting for the last person to vote, my gut told me who it was.

Then it happened again. Now my gut is certain.

It really disappoints me to hear about this. I thought we were all adults.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
I would guess your thought is correct.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
You know, during the initial vote, when in passing, someone mentioned they were waiting for the last person to vote, my gut told me who it was.

Then it happened again. Now my gut is certain.

It really disappoints me to hear about this. I thought we were all adults.
Perhaps they are on the road quite a bit, and unable to vote earlier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.