Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Moved by nsx and seconded by Cholula:

"If the Community Director creates a Games forum, the TalkBoard recommends that posts made in the Games forum be excluded from a member's post count."

This vote will close on January 31, 2012 at 11:05 pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Moved by nsx and seconded by Cholula:

"If the Community Director creates a Games forum, the TalkBoard recommends that posts made in the Games forum be excluded from a member's post count."

This vote will close on January 31, 2012 at 11:05 pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.
So now the TB is voting on hypothetical situations?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I support this motion ^^
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:29 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Yes, apparently.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:31 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
First, I have no problems with this proposal (nor would I have a problem with counting the posts.)

But I went through the same line of thought you probably just did. But as I thought about it, I suspect the TB wanted to be able to either count or not count posts as soon as it is created. Otherwise, if the forum is created and we have to wait a minimum of two weeks before the TB can recommend or not recommend counting those posts, that could cause some "issues". Especially if it is later decided to not count those posts.

They probably had other options, but this is the one they chose. And its really not that big an issue.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It was decided to split out the games votes into 2 separate votes, as mixing them could create difficulties - ie, someone supports a games forum but wants the posts to count, so they might vote down something they actually support.

Also, the other reason was timing. If we do the 2 weeks or until people have voted first for one & then start a separate vote, it's pushing the overall issue into 4 weeks.

And we have a very long discussion thread that's been on-going already that people have provided input on re: the topic.

If games forum doesn't pass, non-counting is moot.

Cheers.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:39 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
From the other thread (emphasis added):

Originally Posted by hhoope01
While I tend to agree with the logic, if people are truly playing those games without concern for whether they are incrementing their post count or not, then I don't think the games players are really "losing" much.

And unfortunately, it seems there are some who feel they will be "losing" a lot if those games do count. So as I mentioned, sometimes it might be better to look at which decision will cause more "emotional" hurt rather than taking the "its more logical" approach.

And don't forget the wise saying "Pick your battles". If, and to those outside of the TB, its still an 'if', the battle has been won for counting OMNI and other forums, maybe its better to give a little. And if, again its still and if, there becomes a Games forum, maybe its better to not fight the "should posts count" there battle. Maybe this is the middle ground that will help the community come together.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I plan to vote for all 3 proposals: counting OMNI, creating Games, and non-counting Games posts. The end result will be very much in the middle ground.

Had the TalkBoard proceeded through a series of straw votes to determine the most popular version of a revision to OMNI post counting, I am certain that the result would have been exactly the same as 3 Yes's will achieve now: Count OMNI, count OMNI P/R, don't count Games.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:43 am

I think we should add TB Topics to the list of non-counters
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx
I plan to vote for all 3 proposals: counting OMNI, creating Games, and non-counting Games posts. The end result will be very much in the middle ground.

Had the TalkBoard proceeded through a series of straw votes to determine the most popular version of a revision to OMNI post counting, I am certain that the result would have been exactly the same as 3 Yes's will achieve now: Count OMNI, count OMNI P/R, don't count Games.
I agree and I am planning on voting that way as well

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I think we should add TB Topics to the list of non-counters
I have no problem with that
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:55 pm
Suspended

I support this motion ^^
Upon further thought, I take back the games/contests not counting.

I think they need a place besides Omni if they start cluttering it up again.
What has caused you to change your mind again?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:28 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm interested to know this as well, since Mary has been arguing for consistency in counting posts.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:38 pm

Because I have since looked back at the counting threads and recognized that in a status driven community such as FT, allowing them is just asking for it.

I'd actually prefer counting threads be considered post padding and against the TOS, but the Omni mods clearly feel differently.

So, to prevent that from happening again, I support them not counting at all.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:41 pm

I find it absolutely amazing that you dug up something I posted on Jan 5 - the discussion has evolved since then and people can and do change their mind - particularly after getting further input.

Probably what amazes me more is the number of times you've posted in these Omni threads about posts not counting, yet you're not a member of the sub-commuity that Omni is. Why don't you check it out and see just how much of a community it is? Or would you rather post another hundred times about how much you think posts there shouldn't count?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by nsx
From the other thread (emphasis added):

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Yes, by all means, let's keep post counts inconsistent.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:06 pm
Suspended

I find it absolutely amazing that you dug up something I posted on Jan 5 - the discussion has evolved since then and people can and do change their mind - particularly after getting further input.

Probably what amazes me more is the number of times you've posted in these Omni threads about posts not counting, yet you're not a member of the sub-commuity that Omni is. Why don't you check it out and see just how much of a community it is? Or would you rather post another hundred times about how much you think posts there shouldn't count?
No digging required. I was reading through that thread and saw your post and noticed you had changed your opinion back and forth a couple times. That's certainly your prerogative.

I come to FT to learn about Miles and Points and Travel. OMNI does not interest me.

After we've gone through the whole discussion and exercise of deciding that all posts are equal, it's pretty silly that the next vote is whether or not posts should be treated differently.

"All posts are equal, but some posts are more equal than others."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.