2011 Election Results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Election Results

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
Voting (or not voting) is entirely up to each member. Please do let us know if you do have suggestions for improvement!
Sure. And I don't want to make out like I'm blaming TB or 'hating' on them (y'all). But I wanted to explain to those asking why I didn't much think voting was important.

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I admit to not looking at the stats, but if you're assuming that the majority of FTers going back to May 1998 with less than 180 posts spends some time every month lurking without posting, then yes they are "users" if you catch my drift.

This is a discussion board, not a lurking board.
I don't disagree beyond what I said when the motions came up for discussion, and I get where you're coming from with respect to that specific issue. But I'd even bet that most of the people who logged in this month are under 180 total posts. Though, I'd probably grant that most of those who actually posted are over. Regardless, I don't think that changes the overall point much?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
In a spot check of one year, yes.
Well thank God for that, anyway.

Still...I find the discrepancies deeply disturbing.

I do hope you can find the time to go back and audit all of the results to ensure the 'correct' posters were reported as receiving the most votes, just to restore full faith in the past elections' legitimacy.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz

I do hope you can find the time to go back and audit all of the results to ensure the 'correct' posters were reported as receiving the most votes, just to restore full faith in the past elections' legitimacy.
Wouldn't Randy have spot checked the years in question.. a double check to the integrity is best done the year of.. in terms of process..

I do agree, its good to get it right if possible..
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Time to move on. This is not a Gore v Bush issue. I found that "deeply disturbing." A TalkBoard election; not so much.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Time to move on. This is not a Gore v Bush issue. I found that "deeply disturbing." A TalkBoard election; not so much.
+1 ^^
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Jinxy

I would almost imagine that all the votes for the top 5 especially being high posters from the US were guaranteed to get in even with the low votes polled this year. Americans on an American website wouldn't have voted for international people.
Not necessarily. I voted for at least one furriner, who did not win. He was not, however, from that strange continent with funny animals with pouches

I am optimistic, generally, that the Anglo-centric focus of the board, even though remaining in English, is changing - at least with respect to the various acceptance of new fora.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Right. This is not politics on this forum. They have to do post in OMNI/PR.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not necessarily. I voted for at least one furriner, who did not win. He was not, however, from that strange continent with funny animals with pouches
Instead TB remains stacked with furriners from that strange country with funny men with guns
Old Dec 3, 2011, 3:47 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
This is a discussion board, not a lurking board.
^

I can't agree more.

Originally Posted by njx9
(I say that assuming that the OMNI post count stuff will be the first thing TB bothers with this term).
I have to honestly say I wouldn't be surprised at all if this motion came back to life again and served as the 1st motion for this new TB.

... why should I vote for TB? Had it not been for the punitive motions last year, it's unlikely I would've bothered doing so this year.
In which case the question remains, why bother voting? Moreso when the only improvements that seem to need to be made are to only benefit a small subset of users...
Sure. And I don't want to make out like I'm blaming TB or 'hating' on them (y'all). But I wanted to explain to those asking why I didn't much think voting was important.
(underline mine)

No matter what first motivated you to starting looking at TB Topics Forum and/or voting, at least you took the initiative. This is one way of participating. If you want change and/or improvement, the fool-proof way to do so is, to the best of my knowledge, participate.

There are more than one way to participate and be engaged on FT. TB isn't the only forum/area to make things happen. TalkBoard has an important role on FT but TB doesn't and can't make all the big decisions. Don't let that stop you from giving back to FT though.

The key is get familiar with TalkBoard and try to not place unreasonable expectations on TB. Post away when what you want/like is under their purview. If you have great ideas to better FT that are non-TB-ish and want to be heard, I am sure Carol, our Community Director, will be all ears.

All I am saying is if you don't take action, nothing will ever happen. It's totally up to you. Vote, or not. Participate, or not.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I am optimistic, generally, that the Anglo-centric focus of the board, even though remaining in English, is changing - at least with respect to the various acceptance of new fora.
As someone pointed out however upthread, it can be spun both ways. The addition of some recent 'furrin' fora may be due to the fact that they were missing/needed and only now are the non-North American/non-UK fora catching up.

I was amazed for instance how long it took for FT to create an 'Airlines of India' forum. Until that time, the only place for comprehensive airline travel information was IndiaMike, which tends to have a different userbase and focus than FT.

I actually feel slightly guilty that we have derailed one thread from US-based to furrin talk, but it was one thread, and we aren't providing US-centric information which may mislead readers.

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Instead TB remains stacked with furriners from that strange country with funny men with guns

Last edited by exbayern; Dec 3, 2011 at 10:07 am
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:43 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I, too, would like to see international representation on Talkboard. This might be the first year that we've had none. Last year, we started the year with one from the UK and one from Africa. But folks have to self identify to run for Talkboard. Sometimes the most capable people don't think of putting themselves forward. Sometimes they do and then it is up to the voters.

We've been very mindful about having international representation among the moderators. We want to be careful that they represent the international draw of the board. Over the last few years, we've dramatically increased the number of mods from outside the US. Today, we draw over 40% of our moderators from outside the US. We have moderators from Canada, Australia, Argentina, Singapore, Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Sweden, and the UK.

We're also trying something new with a group of ambassadors. We've got three terrific Spanish speaking ambassadors for the LAN forum who can help with private queries.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We've been very mindful about having international representation among the moderators. We want to be careful that they represent the international draw of the board. Over the last few years, we've dramatically increased the number of mods from outside the US. Today, we draw over 40% of our moderators from outside the US. We have moderators from Canada, Australia, Argentina, Singapore, Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Sweden, and the UK.
That is good (although I believe that at least one is an American living abroad).

Let me be clear that it has nothing to do with being anti-anything. But as an example, a new poster comes to FT and asks about airport security from SIN to LHR.

He receives responses telling him about TSA rules, which are actually quite different from some of the rules in the UK (and elsewhere) regarding his particular question. Even when corrected, posters continue to quote TSA and American experiences. Finally the new poster expresses confusion and frustration and leaves.

That isn't a very positive welcome to a new international member. Another thread going on right now about security at LHR detours into a discussion about TSA and American rules (which again, are different in this case) by the second or third post. No matter that several non-US posters try and explain that some rules differ around the world, the conversation continues to come back to TSA and American rules, even though the incident occured in the UK.

Those are two examples about very specific instances where detouring into US conversation are not helpful, and can confuse readers. I can think of many other threads in which I participate where the conversation is dominated by North American viewpoints, even if the subject matter was actually quite global.

I don't have a simple answer, because I also know that we tend to cluster in our geographic groups here. Long ago I broke away from M&M (although I do enjoy lurking there) But the BA crowd tends to frequent the BA/UK threads, just as some people tend to gather on Airlines of India, etc. I suppose that if I only flew LH/LX around Europe, I too might stick close to M&M rather than venture into the greater FT community.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:58 pm

Congratulations to all that took the time to vote.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:31 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by N830MH
Wow! Unbelievable! I did not win the election but, they voted me more than 236. I didn't get it this time. Oh well! Maybe there will next time if I will have reconsider the Talkboard member again. I'll be disappointed for me.
Next year, my friend. Next year!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:54 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I really don't care who or what TalkBoard is, I just voted so for at least a short time I could have an avatar, any kind of avatar.

Kidding!

Congrats to the winners! ^

A little revolution now and then is a good thing.
Wait--are you saying that FTers are revolting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.