Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Election Results

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
My goal is to elimate the phrase 'that is not in the TB's purview' from the FT lexicon. Power to the posters, baby!
Let's see, I have a retractable leash around here somewhere....
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
We did, indeed, have excellent candidates and my congratulations to all who ran (and especially those who were elected).

My guess as to why the voter turnout is so low (and not only this year) is that TalkBoard's remit is so limited that most people do not care who is on it.

Basically, TB:

1. Determines whether a proposed forum will be established.

2. Establishes and revises its own internal rules.

3. Once in a very rare while makes a decision which might impact a large number of members but in what is really a minor way (eg: should Omni posts count?).

Many active, and excellent, FTers have very little interest in any of those questions, so why would they bother voting for TB?

Give TB substanially wider authority (even on a "recommendation-only" basis), and you will see much greater interest and turn out for the elections.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Dovster's post above (i.e. currently post 47 in this thread) gets my vote too.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I agree. And I will consider my next 2 years on the TB to have been a failure if I can't be a part of getting it out of the box that Randy kept it in for over 10 years.

My goal is to elimate the phrase 'that is not in the TB's purview' from the FT lexicon. Power to the posters, baby!

THEN let's see how many posters start to care about the composition of the TB!
I know there's a reason I voted for you too.

If you get your way, I'd expect to see a higher voter count next time there is a TB election. Perhaps even some additional people would care to run for TB as well.

That said, as long as the business case success of FT can be decoupled from TB actions/non-actions, I don't expect to be surprised by change on that front ... not surprised even by being disappeared.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by lin821
(bolding mine)

1375 voters said it all. FT is either losing or disengaging them.

It used to be thousands who would have come out and voted during TB Elections. Not any more.
I personally don't think it's FT, I do think TB visibility has dropped to some extent. To most FT members, what is TB to them?

The voting numbers are pretty consistent set against an increasing membership (measured by the board being busier than ever).
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lin821
1375 voters said it all. FT is either losing or disengaging them.
One other possibility: They like things just fine the way they are and see no need to try to push FT in any particular direction.

It's getting very difficult to come up with an idea that will dramatically improve FT without consequences that some members will intensely dislike. I suspect that FT has attained nearly optimal utility within the limitations of vBulletin. Where the TB can speak loudly to improve FT is in requesting new vBulletin functionality.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:14 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nsx
One other possibility: They like things just fine the way they are....
Ding, ding, ding, ding. A winner.

Not to mention the possibility that the drama of junior high school student council was enough the first time around.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by nsx
...Where the TB can speak loudly to improve FT is in requesting new vBulletin functionality.
Such as this wiki post feature?

You do know that the Vbulletin functionality hasn't really been improved and/or upgraded on FT since early 2000s, right? Darn, even Fatwallet and Slickdeals had a better facelift, and much improved features & tags than FT years back.

Originally Posted by IBobi
As to the Vbulletin question, yes, IB owns that as well. I am sure it does streamline the process to get fixes made but it still remains a process.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I would like to congratulate the five members who were elected to the Talkboard. I have to say, it was really cool to be a part of the Talkboard debate. I would also like to thank those of you who ran for Talkboard with me. Now I cannot wait for next year's election!!

Delta747
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Congratulations to all! To those who won a place on the Board, may your year be challenging, interesting & not too contentious! To those who ran, thank you for offering your time & knowledge & hope to see your names on the next ballot!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Not to mention the possibility that the drama of junior high school student council was enough the first time around.
See? Even one of the senior hall monitors agrees that that TB has no more authority than a junior high school council.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Who would that be, since your statement has nothing to do with what I said?

But, as always, points for rhetoric. ^^
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Jenbel
The voting numbers are pretty consistent set against an increasing membership (measured by the board being busier than ever).
Have the TB elections been equally promoted over the years? This year there was a banner on each forum IIRC so even though it was more widely advertised it still drew fewer ballots being cast than past years when this wasn't done AFAIK.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Very excited to see someone from the AS side on talkboard. Congrats to Jackal. Three of the four i voted for were winners. Don't worry Scotty you will win someday
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The other flip of the coin is FT members getting educated on the vote.. Some good, challenging and deep quesions were asked.

One suggestion.. its hard to navigate to the platforms and candidate questions.. Perhaps a header link?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Congratulations to the winners and thank you to all the candidates. I had a hard time winnowing my ballot down to 5 given the quality of the field this year.

The voting participation does both me somewhat but I would also like an electorate that is familiar with the candidates rather than an American Idol style screen name recognition contest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.