Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Election Results

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
As the 'token' non-US member for most of last year, I don't think my failure to get most of my proposal passed had anything to do with the country of my birth
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Markie
As the 'token' non-US member for most of last year, I don't think my failure to get most of my proposal passed had anything to do with the country of my birth
Markie, you'll never be a token ANYTHING! You brought tremendous enthusiasm to the TalkBoard. Like kokonutz, you tend toward an "all or nothing" approach to proposals. That's part of the package of having passion for your views, and the TalkBoard needs passion.

It's glorious when everything works out and a bit discouraging when it does not. C'est la vie. Are you sure you weren't born in France?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e
+1 to what RichMSN said.

Whenever there are more candidates than there are positions to fill, that's what will happen. Were you expecting something other than that, LTF?
I was only replying to this other post saying:"Fortunately, good people ran and were elected." If it gave you the occasion to express yourself in a way that makes you feel better, I'm ok with that.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern
That is good (although I believe that at least one is an American living abroad).

Let me be clear that it has nothing to do with being anti-anything. But as an example, a new poster comes to FT and asks about airport security from SIN to LHR.

He receives responses telling him about TSA rules, which are actually quite different from some of the rules in the UK (and elsewhere) regarding his particular question. Even when corrected, posters continue to quote TSA and American experiences. Finally the new poster expresses confusion and frustration and leaves.

That isn't a very positive welcome to a new international member. Another thread going on right now about security at LHR detours into a discussion about TSA and American rules (which again, are different in this case) by the second or third post. No matter that several non-US posters try and explain that some rules differ around the world, the conversation continues to come back to TSA and American rules, even though the incident occured in the UK.

Those are two examples about very specific instances where detouring into US conversation are not helpful, and can confuse readers. I can think of many other threads in which I participate where the conversation is dominated by North American viewpoints, even if the subject matter was actually quite global.
Sounds like a moderator issue to me. Were those off-topic posts reported and removed?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Sounds like a moderator issue to me. Were those off-topic posts reported and removed?
Well, in one instance a moderator was involved, but I don't believe that they reported themselves. (They did however eventually remove their posts so perhaps they realised how this specific topic can confuse people if there is off-topic discussion not related to the issue at hand) I believe that I was seen as being argumentative, until the OP came back to the thread and expressed his confusion and frustration with the information about the US/TSA.

I also realise that my examples are not specifically about TB, but they reflect how I feel in the last year or so about how FT has changed quite a bit, to me. There are numerous discussions about general topics which become US/UK dominated (natural based on the mix of posters on this board), but a lot of the time I feel that our voices just are not heard. I don't know how we can speak up louder, but I appreciate the chance to discuss that here, as obviously I am not the only one who has noticed this.

Perhaps our new TB team is now more aware of our concerns, and I have faith that they will do their best to represent all members of FT. I voted with that specific concern in mind, and chose those members I felt would best hear the various voices on FT, and not always just consider their own interests.

Again, congratulations to all.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: Skyteam
Only 1 made it from my list. Congratz!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:41 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by exbayern
Well, in one instance a moderator was involved, but I don't believe that they reported themselves. (They did however eventually remove their posts so perhaps they realised how this specific topic can confuse people if there is off-topic discussion not related to the issue at hand) I believe that I was seen as being argumentative, until the OP came back to the thread and expressed his confusion and frustration with the information about the US/TSA.

I also realise that my examples are not specifically about TB, but they reflect how I feel in the last year or so about how FT has changed quite a bit, to me. There are numerous discussions about general topics which become US/UK dominated (natural based on the mix of posters on this board), but a lot of the time I feel that our voices just are not heard. I don't know how we can speak up louder, but I appreciate the chance to discuss that here, as obviously I am not the only one who has noticed this.
exbayern, I don't recall a PM from you voicing a concern about not being heard. If you wouldn't mind sending me and the other TS/S mods a PM about US/UK centrism (if I understand you correctly?), including an example link or two, that would go a long way in helping us help you. Tschüss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.