2011 Election Results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Election Results

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
1375, a drop from last year's 1875. Honestly, I'm disappointed that more didn't come out to vote. We had solid candidates who threw themselves into the debate. We kept up changing announcements reminding everyone of the vote. We indicated who was running. We used Avatars to show who voted. We kept the vote open past Thanksgiving weekend. It was featured in TalkMail.

The board has expanded enormously this year. I guess with growth comes disengagement. Fortunately, good people ran and were elected.
Good people ran and were not.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by exbayern
I would agree with a minor edit to 'outside North America'. And perhaps some form of recognition of the global nature of FT with a voice for Europe/Australasia/etc. Our voices seem to be drowned out quite often; I am participating in a thread about airport security in the UK which is a great example of that.
+1 ^
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by G_G
I can't believe that such stupid behavior could exist
FWIW I can't believe your post. It's one thing to disagree with others but to call their opinions stupid is IMHO unnecessary.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
That happens *every* year.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I voted and I don't know/recognise any of you guys, because, like origin, I don't visit the boards that you post on. Or, to put it another way, you guys don't visit the ones that I post on .

Is that do with geography? Yes, quite possibly. I'd not be surprised if it turned out that most NA based members post mostly in NA based forums (AA, United, Delta etc). In fact, I only recognise nsx because he/she posted in the BA forum, although it was in relation to issues that affect NA based members. That's not a complaint or jibe at anyone, just stating my suspicions, in the same way that I'd expect UK members most likely stick to the BA, Virgin and BMI boards.

Honestly, I don't think that most people even know what TalkBoard is, or what their remit is. It's not clear to me either. I only came into contact with TB when there was a notice at the top of one of the forums about counting OMNI posts in a person's post count.

In short I'd say that if you want more participation, you need more communication.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:08 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Originally Posted by RichMSN
That happens *every* year.
+1 to what RichMSN said.

Whenever there are more candidates than there are positions to fill, that's what will happen. Were you expecting something other than that, LTF?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:00 am

1375, a drop from last year's 1875. Honestly, I'm disappointed that more didn't come out to vote. We had solid candidates who threw themselves into the debate. We kept up changing announcements reminding everyone of the vote. We indicated who was running. We used Avatars to show who voted. We kept the vote open past Thanksgiving weekend. It was featured in TalkMail.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
That's really a disappointment Carol. It makes me wonder if the effort is even worth it - and that includes even having a TB.
Sorry, I know it's like 3 pages later, but I'd been thinking about this and wanted to respond.

In all honesty, if TB spends another year of doing nothing substantive or worthwhile (in terms of *my* use of the board [and I know that's sort of a selfish view]), it's unlikely I'll bother voting next year. Last year, their only functions seemed to be new forum creation, and ensuring that the majority of FT could no longer access parts of the site. Their motions (all 16), were mostly made up of new board creation (7), access removal (2), attempts to "reward" a small subsection of board membership for posting in a restricted area (1), the addition of images to that restricted area (1), alterations to internal TB processes (4) and a single vote that had anything to do with most board members; the one dealing with public notifications.

Given the above, why should I vote for TB? Had it not been for the punitive motions last year, it's unlikely I would've bothered doing so this year.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by njx9
Last year, their only functions seemed to be new forum creation, and ensuring that the majority of FT could no longer access parts of the site.
Wait a minute, the majority of FT members has been here less than 180 days and has less than 180 posts?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Wait a minute, the majority of FT members has been here less than 180 days and has less than 180 posts?
I'd be willing to bet that the *vast* majority of FT users has less than 180 posts. Unless my math is *way* off, the board's statistics themselves give a per user average of 46 posts.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:16 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Sorry, I know it's like 3 pages later, but I'd been thinking about this and wanted to respond.

In all honesty, if TB spends another year of doing nothing substantive or worthwhile (in terms of *my* use of the board [and I know that's sort of a selfish view]), it's unlikely I'll bother voting next year. Last year, their only functions seemed to be new forum creation, and ensuring that the majority of FT could no longer access parts of the site. Their motions (all 16), were mostly made up of new board creation (7), access removal (2), attempts to "reward" a small subsection of board membership for posting in a restricted area (1), the addition of images to that restricted area (1), alterations to internal TB processes (4) and a single vote that had anything to do with most board members; the one dealing with public notifications.

Given the above, why should I vote for TB? Had it not been for the punitive motions last year, it's unlikely I would've bothered doing so this year.
What improvement(s) would you like to see?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
What improvement(s) would you like to see?
That's a terrific question, and one I'm still considering. In all honesty, it may be that there aren't any that TB can do anything about (the board software, for instance, being hopelessly out of date). In which case the question remains, why bother voting? Moreso when the only improvements that seem to need to be made are to only benefit a small subset of users (I say that assuming that the OMNI post count stuff will be the first thing TB bothers with this term).
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I'd be willing to bet that the *vast* majority of FT users has less than 180 posts. Unless my math is *way* off, the board's statistics themselves give a per user average of 46 posts.
I admit to not looking at the stats, but if you're assuming that the majority of FTers going back to May 1998 with less than 180 posts spends some time every month lurking without posting, then yes they are "users" if you catch my drift.

This is a discussion board, not a lurking board.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:43 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I'm glad to see that the vote discrepancy between what Randy posted and what I currently see for years lost in the mist of time bugs me more than anyone who has posted. I've spoken to Randy. The only thing we can figure out is that the 2003-5 votes were cast on a different platform and the migration to the current one hiccuped. The tech guys who were around then no longer work for House of Miles. Fortunately, we do know that this year's post count (as well as recent years) were recorded properly and posted properly.
That is deeply disturbing to me.

And while I fear the answer, I have to ask: while the numbers were clearly off, were the orders of finish identical between what Randy reported and what you see in the actual record?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:48 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
That's a terrific question, and one I'm still considering. In all honesty, it may be that there aren't any that TB can do anything about (the board software, for instance, being hopelessly out of date). In which case the question remains, why bother voting? Moreso when the only improvements that seem to need to be made are to only benefit a small subset of users (I say that assuming that the OMNI post count stuff will be the first thing TB bothers with this term).
Voting (or not voting) is entirely up to each member. Please do let us know if you do have suggestions for improvement!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:02 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
while the numbers were clearly off, were the orders of finish identical between what Randy reported and what you see in the actual record?
In a spot check of one year, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.