Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Election Results

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jenbel
But yes, would be nice to have one non-US voice on the board to remind the others that it should not be assumed that US methods are the only ones
There are?

It's a small world. I have friends all over it, and I certainly believe FT is a global community.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by RichMSN
There are?

It's a small world. I have friends all over it, and I certainly believe FT is a global community.
Yes it certainly is a global community...it's just a pity that many members forget this.
To people that don't reside inside the US, ( and I can express how I feel personally only)....you try and be involved and support/learn/respect..however many things, opinions, topics etc are only taken seriously if it seems that a US member with many many posts is involved, if at all.

As someone who stood for all nationalities on Talkboard, I would hope that someone feels the same way that I do, and wants to make it a priority to make the rest of the world feel more included.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Congratulations! Definitely many are worthy, and glad to see that there is so much commitment to FlyerTalk.

A pleasure to go through the process and experience the comaradarie amongst.. the many class act candidates and TB members.^

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Nov 29, 2011 at 9:04 am
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I woke up this morning to a pleasant surprise. I think this is the fourth or fifth time I've stood for TalkBoard and I'm very pleased that I'll have the opportunity to serve the community for the next two years.

Congratulations to the others who were elected. Thanks to the rest who stood for election -- please consider running next year -- persistence worked for me.

Finally, thanks to those who voted for me. I'll spend my term doing my best to make sure you don't regret your vote.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Okey dokey. Just remember that elections have concequences.

Here we go!
Congratulations to all, including those of the above for whom I voted.

I look forward to upcoming developments.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The 2011 Elections have just concluded.
Are you able to share how many members took the time to vote?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:27 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Are you able to share how many members took the time to vote?
1375, a drop from last year's 1875. Honestly, I'm disappointed that more didn't come out to vote. We had solid candidates who threw themselves into the debate. We kept up changing announcements reminding everyone of the vote. We indicated who was running. We used Avatars to show who voted. We kept the vote open past Thanksgiving weekend. It was featured in TalkMail.

The board has expanded enormously this year. I guess with growth comes disengagement. Fortunately, good people ran and were elected.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 29, 2011 at 11:40 am Reason: added TalkMail
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Maybe TB needs to vote to merge the AA/CO/UA/DL forums into one giant 'US based airline forum' to raise awareness of their existence
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
That's really a disappointment Carol. It makes me wonder if the effort is even worth it - and that includes even having a TB.

I know there are thousands and thousands of members, and a substantially lower number who are active and engaged on a regular basis. But that number is greater than ~1400 who bothered to vote.

In my mind that means that the bulk of the active membership doesn't really care about the direction of FT.

The candidates this year were all very good and it was interesting reading the replies to the 16 questions. It's a shame so few people voted.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Mary2e
That's really a disappointment Carol. It makes me wonder if the effort is even worth it - and that includes even having a TB.

I know there are thousands and thousands of members, and a substantially lower number who are active and engaged on a regular basis. But that number is greater than ~1400 who bothered to vote.

In my mind that means that the bulk of the active membership doesn't really care about the direction of FT.

The candidates this year were all very good and it was interesting reading the replies to the 16 questions. It's a shame so few people voted.
All good points, Mary2e. Anyone know the reasons why folks don't vote? Offhand, I can think of one or two fairly consistent posters who I don't think voted.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by dchristiva
All good points, Mary2e. Anyone know the reasons why folks don't vote? Offhand, I can think of one or two fairly consistent posters who I don't think voted.
I think some did not want the avatar under their name. Perhaps one option is to allow posters to select if they want the avatar or not when they vote.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by kipper
I think some did not want the avatar under their name. Perhaps one option is to allow posters to select if they want the avatar or not when they vote.
Interesting. Why would the avatar matter? Voting is a good thing, right?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
1375, a drop from last year's 1875. Honestly, I'm disappointed that more didn't come out to vote.
(emphases mine)

According to FlyerTalk Forums Statistics, currently there are 370,593 registered members.

1375/370593 = 0.00371026976

So only about 0.37% of FTers who cared TB enough and voted this year.

If I am not mistaken, it seems there are fewer and fewer voters as years progress. Are we losing passionate FTers? What messages does it send, to TB and FT as a whole?

ETA: (I forgot to say it first )

Thanks to all who cared enough to consider serving on TB & congrats to the new TB Elect. It will be another tough year ahead!

Last edited by lin821; Nov 29, 2011 at 12:01 pm Reason: ETA
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lin821
According to FlyerTalk Forums Statistics, currently there are 370,593 registered members.

1375/370593 = 0.00371026976

So only about 0.37% of FTers who cared TB enough and voted this year.

If I am not mistaken, it seems there are fewer and fewer voters as years progress. What messages does it send, to TB and FT as a whole?
Wow. That is a stunning statistic.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well I must say I'm amazed to be the First Runner Up, it's a far better showing than I expected so thank you so much to everyone who voted to me and a bigger thank you and congratulations to: goalie, kokonutz, nsx, jackal and RichMSN who won. They're all great choices.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Interesting. Why would the avatar matter? Voting is a good thing, right?
It is, but IIRC, when the avatars were first used, some European members were very upset their privacy was violated in such a manner. I believe voting is considered far more private there than it is in the US.

Users were permitted to contact someone to have the avatar removed, but I suspect most people simply did not bother to vote.

Last edited by Mary2e; Nov 29, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.