Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Election Results

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by lin821
According to FlyerTalk Forums Statistics, currently there are 370,593 registered members.

1375/370593 = 0.00371026976

So only about 0.37% of FTers who cared TB enough and voted this year.

If I am not mistaken, it seems there are fewer and fewer voters as years progress. Are we losing passionate FTers? What messages does it send, to TB and FT as a whole?
I actually don't pay much attention to registered members. I believe that number includes those who registered only to enter a contest, post once, or even troll. I remember asking Randy if he ever cleaned up the member list and believe the only thing ever done was to remove users who never verified their email address.

The more important statistic would be active members (active to be defined separately).

I suspect there really are no more than 10-20k active users. That's a guess on my part.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Mary2e
It is, but IIRC, when the avatars were first use, some European members were very upset their privacy was violated in such a manner. I believe voting is considered far more private there than it is in the US.

Users were permitted to contact someone to have the avatar removed, but I suspect most people simply did not bother to vote.
Thanks. Again, I find this very interesting, and admit to having a US-centric perspective on voting. I was happy to do it, and happy to be recognized for doing it. It never dawned on me that someone would think it's a violation of his/her privacy to be "outed" for having voted.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
According to FlyerTalk Forums Statistics, currently there are 370,593 registered members.
Personally, I'd like to know how many members have posted in, say, the last 6 months. I think the number of registered members is pretty misleading. I've joined boards (including some travel boards) and kept my membership active and walked away.

Obviously, most of the traffic at FT is from lurkers. Right this minute, lurkers more than double the number of logged in members viewing the DL and AA forums (and the AA forum has well over 700 people viewing now with the bankruptcy announcement). Just two forums picked at "random" - I'm a DL flyer and I knew the AA board would be busy today.

So, how many people are really regulars? And how many people care about the direction of FT?

It's too bad that only 1375 people voted this year. I'm guessing there are some people who decided to cut bait this year and go over to MP. I'm guessing others decided not to vote at all. And maybe others have grown weary of how the TBs have operated over the past few years or terms and figure "what's the point"?

One thing we need to figure out is how to better engage with the people who *do* come here regularly, participate, and still don't vote. I'm not interested in the 370593 -- I'm interested in the people who come regularly and are part of the community.

(I gotta say, though, many of the people I saw posting on threads in the forums where I spend much of my time had "I voted" avatars under their names. Seems like a lot of "regulars" voted.)

Carol, any way to tell how many unique people posted during the voting period?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I actually don't pay much attention to registered members. I believe that number includes those who registered only to enter a contest, post once, or even troll. I remember asking Randy if he ever cleaned up the member list and believe the only thing ever done was to remove users who never verified their email address.

The more important statistic would be active members (active to be defined separately).

I suspect there really are no more than 10-20k active users. That's a guess on my part.
Probably a fair guess, but that still equates to 6% to 10% turnout at the electronic polls.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Interesting. Why would the avatar matter? Voting is a good thing, right?
I think some people don't care to let everyone know that they've voted.
It is, but IIRC, when the avatars were first use, some European members were very upset their privacy was violated in such a manner. I believe voting is considered far more private there than it is in the US.

Users were permitted to contact someone to have the avatar removed, but I suspect most people simply did not bother to vote.
I'd guess you're probably right. By making those who didn't want the avatar request that it be removed, it was made more difficult, and some probably decided it wasn't worth it.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
I think some people don't care to let everyone know that they've voted.
Due to a desire for privacy?

I'd love to hear from someone who didn't vote because of the avatar.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by RichMSN
... I'm not interested in the 370593 -- I'm interested in the people who come regularly and are part of the community.
(bolding mine)

1375 voters said it all. FT is either losing or disengaging them.

It used to be thousands who would have come out and voted during TB Elections. Not any more.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:20 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

1375 voters said it all. FT is either losing or disengaging them.

It used to be thousands who would have come out and voted during TB Elections. Not any more.
I like actual numbers. Let's look at them.

2011 - 1375
2010 - 1852
2009 - 1616
2008 - 2180
2007 - 982
2006 - 2013
2005 - 1080
2004 - 551
2003 - 697

I think 2007 was the year Randy didn't enable avatars. The vote dropped in half, and he became passionate about it going forward.

As for FlyerTalk as a whole, both post counts and pages read are up dramatically compared to last year. I'm not free to post actual numbers, but the board is in very good health.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

In my mind that means that the bulk of the active membership doesn't really care about the direction of FT.

The candidates this year were all very good and it was interesting reading the replies to the 16 questions. It's a shame so few people voted.
Even those that care about the direction of FT may not care to vote for TB when such persons are of the thought that the direction of FT on the most important matters is largely not in the hands of the TB. For much the same reason that some that do care about the direction of FT may not care to run for TB, some may choose not to vote for TB.

I voted in this TB election only out of respect for the FTers caring to run for TB. My vote was not done with an expectation that it or TB would matter about much of anything beyond forum creation/organization/reorganization and some aspects of forum access. For those expectations to change, the FT Community Director and/or IB would have to make some changes that empowered TB to do more than is currently ordinary.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by goalie
To all the candidates-

While numerically there are both winners and those who did not win, I congratulate all of you as simply put, you chose to run to make Flyertalk an even better place than it is now that makes you all winners in my book ^

As for me, I am both humbled and honored and I thank all of those who voted for me ^
Wow! Unbelievable! I did not win the election but, they voted me more than 236. I didn't get it this time. Oh well! Maybe there will next time if I will have reconsider the Talkboard member again. I'll be disappointed for me.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It is, but IIRC, when the avatars were first used, some European members were very upset their privacy was violated in such a manner. I believe voting is considered far more private there than it is in the US.
I'm not sure that there is that much difference, as someone who checks out places on election day as a kind of get to know where you are activity. In some EU localities, it's actually very easy to observe in person who voted and to see what parties' election material a voter chooses to pick up and/or take out.

Personally, I had considered whether to vote or not vote in this TB election. I really wasn't a fan of an avatar showing that I voted, which is in part why I decided to vote on the last day of the election.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Congratulations to those who won, and job well-done to those who campaigned.
Congratulations are in order to those that didn't win.
Seriously, it's nice to see that we had a full house running for TB. ^

If I am not mistaken, it seems there are fewer and fewer voters as years progress. Are we losing passionate FTers?
These days, there's more competition for our time. There was a time I'd check in 3 - 4 x's a day. Recently, it's once or twice a day. Facebook and Twitter are time competitors.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Congrats to those who won, and thank you to all who ran! I know you did it because you wanted to give back and make FT a better BB.

My 2 cents on why the turnout wasn't that high - and in my opinion will never be that high.

I think the majority of people (90%) who come to FT do so because they want to learn about miles/points & their frequent flyer/hotel programs & how best to utilize them. They don't give 2 patooties about the background/administration/structure of FT, which encompasses TB. Just a simple does it meet their travel needs.

Most head straight to forums of interest, such as airline & hotels & don't make it to the other forums, so might not even be aware TB exists until election time or if they see the banner announcing we're discussing something. Heck, I was on FT for a couple of years before I stumbled across TB. Those that do seem to stay engaged with it, but again for the majority of people, if it's not about the miles & points, they don't care.

So I don't think you'll ever get a huge # voting.

BTW - just because they don't care about the admin/background doesn't mean that TB isn't necessary. TB actions can impact their experiences with FT, although not the content which is provided by FTers.

I do give IB & sandiego1k credit for doing everything they could to draw attention to the elections.

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even those that care about the direction of FT may not care to vote for TB when such persons are of the thought that the direction of FT on the most important matters is largely not in the hands of the TB. For much the same reason that some that do care about the direction of FT may not care to run for TB, some may choose not to vote for TB.

I voted in this TB election only out of respect for the FTers caring to run for TB. My vote was not done with an expectation that it or TB would matter about much of anything beyond forum creation/organization/reorganization and some aspects of forum access. For those expectations to change, the FT Community Director and/or IB would have to make some changes that empowered TB to do more than is currently ordinary.
I agree. And I will consider my next 2 years on the TB to have been a failure if I can't be a part of getting it out of the box that Randy kept it in for over 10 years.

My goal is to elimate the phrase 'that is not in the TB's purview' from the FT lexicon. Power to the posters, baby!

THEN let's see how many posters start to care about the composition of the TB!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I'd love to hear from someone who didn't vote because of the avatar.
I really don't care who or what TalkBoard is, I just voted so for at least a short time I could have an avatar, any kind of avatar.

Kidding!

Congrats to the winners! ^

Originally Posted by kokonutz
My goal is to elimate the phrase 'that is not in the TB's purview' from the FT lexicon. Power to the posters, baby!
A little revolution now and then is a good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.