2011 Election Results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Election Results

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Hear hear!! Finally other people speak up also... Was starting to think I was a big whinger in the minority!

Please talk board elected members... There is another world out there apart from the states and not everything that should be covered to include us, is.

I love FT, hence why I chose to be a member here rather than the Aussie version where too much politics put me off participating in normal forum topics.

It may not seem like a big deal to those of you, but spare a thought please.

In the future I think a fair and balanced talk board should have members from all over the world, I truly believe it is fairer and you get a balanced view from different areas.

If by bedfordrocks and myself being the only two Aussie candidates plus others that were not US based, you know there is interest and willingness for us to be included.

I would almost imagine that all the votes for the top 5 especially being high posters from the US were guaranteed to get in even with the low votes polled this year. Americans on an American website wouldn't have voted for international people.
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what you're asking for. Perhaps it would help if you clarified what you wanted out of the TalkBoard.

During the last TalkBoard term, I worked pretty closely with a member from London. The fact that he was English and from London never once that I recall entered our discussions about our ideas to improve FlyerTalk. We bounced ideas back and forth and talked about them on their merits. Geographical perspective really didn't matter.

And as for the elections--I for one didn't look at anyone else's location before voting. A few of the candidates I recognized and knew where they were from, but when I read their platforms and positional statements, their geographical location pretty much went completely unnoticed by me. I'm pretty sure that was the case for most members voting.

If you could give me an example of what sort of a decision would clearly benefit from having a member from Australia over a member from Alaska voting on it, maybe I would be able to appreciate your position a bit more.

A few points of data:
  • The last four decisions implemented by the TalkBoard were in regards to issues outside the U.S.
  • The last six forums to be created by the TalkBoard were for airlines based outside the U.S.
  • Aside from one vote (regarding Club Carlson), the entire first page of the voting decisions forum is comprised of either non-U.S. subjects or forum-wide (non-geographic) subjects

If anything, I would say that FlyerTalk has been broadening its international focus as of late.

And even though you weren't elected, you are always welcome to post here and/or contact TalkBoard members directly with your ideas of how FlyerTalk can be improved. If an idea is brought up that has merit, I can guarantee it will at least be discussed...and based on our current track record, there's a good chance it'll be implemented!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
If it's really important to have geographic diversity I am willing to move to London!
If you need any help packing let me know! ^

Originally Posted by Jinxy
Well done to everyone...was a pleasure reading so many different points of views...

Just a little disappointed (and correct me if I'm wrong) but it would have been good to have least a couple of members represented from all corners of the world, not just US based.
Agreed, while I believe all the TB members who won will do a great job, I think geographic diversity of TB members is important.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by whlinder
If you need any help packing let me know! ^

Agreed, while I believe all the TB members who won will do a great job, I think geographic diversity of TB members is important.
I'm probably the only one who lives in Wisconsin.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:15 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Markie
Congratulations to all of the winners. It looks like a little bit of a revolution may be coming, and I shall be interested to see how that pans out.
Markie, you were always the guy with new ideas and strong opinions. Every TalkBoard needs such a person to spark action. koko will most definitely fill that role. His wit alone will engage and entertain you. I am looking forward to some great debates, during which I will see new perspectives on new issues.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm probably the only one who lives in Wisconsin.
I am quite pleased we have a Wisconsin viewpoint represented on the TB ^
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jackal
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what you're asking for.
(First let me apologise for continuing this conversation, as I believe that it may be diverting us away from what should be a congratulations thread, but I do believe that it may be a topic of interesting discussion, perhaps for another thread....)

That is a fair assessment of recent changes implemented as a result of TB. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I don't have an issue there.

Perhaps it is more a fear that what I see as more recent overall changes will now be impacting TB as well? The link posted on page 4 to an OMNI thread actually I thought supported the argument about the various voices here and how some are heard more than others. (And it isn't about majority, necessarily, as the OMNI thread references threads which become US/North America discussion within the first few posts)

I know that I specifically chose which posters not to vote for based on past posting manners; if someone is hijacking threads to talk about their own issue, or diverting conversation back to North American issues and away from the specific thread topic, it makes me wonder if they will do the same when it comes to TB issues ie make FT more North American focussed than it is at the moment.

I personally have always enjoyed the global nature of FT, and many of my most liked posters are from around the world, including North America. But there are many instances (such as the one I mentioned in an earlier post) where the specific, factual discussion is diverted to one where North American issues are discussed, making the original thread question quite useless.

I don't think that I expressed that very well at all, and apologise again for taking us off-topic again.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
A few points of data:
  • The last four decisions implemented by the TalkBoard were in regards to issues outside the U.S.
  • The last six forums to be created by the TalkBoard were for airlines based outside the U.S.
  • Aside from one vote (regarding Club Carlson), the entire first page of the voting decisions forum is comprised of either non-U.S. subjects or forum-wide (non-geographic) subjects

If anything, I would say that FlyerTalk has been broadening its international focus as of late.
You can spin that either way -- the fact that several non-U.S. airlines did not have their own forums (major ones, like LAN, for example) could also simply mean that FT is catching up on its international focus.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:49 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I like actual numbers. Let's look at them.

2011 - 1375
2010 - 1852
2009 - 1616
2008 - 2180
2007 - 982
2006 - 2013
2005 - 1080
2004 - 551
2003 - 697

I think 2007 was the year Randy didn't enable avatars. The vote dropped in half, and he became passionate about it going forward.

As for FlyerTalk as a whole, both post counts and pages read are up dramatically compared to last year. I'm not free to post actual numbers, but the board is in very good health.

I feel like at least one of those numbers is off. I distinctly remember the first year I was elected, Randy posted numbers and Gleff came in first with over 3000 votes. I believe I was 4th with 1300 votes
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:55 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I feel like at least one of those numbers is off. I distinctly remember the first year I was elected, Randy posted numbers and Gleff came in first with over 3000 votes. I believe I was 4th with 1300 votes
I have access to the admin panel for the Talkboard votes. The years in which I found votes for both you and gleff were 2003 and 2005.

gleff 235
missydarlin 136

gleff 480
missydarlin 329

I have absolutely no idea why this is inconsistent with what Randy posted here. I can only go by the software record.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Either they are off or they were not reported accurately.

The leading vote-getter in 2008 had 2905 votes and 7630 people cast ballots, which was (and still is) a record.

In 2006, the first-runner up had 2377 votes. The leading vote-getters got 3452, 3324, 2849, and 2743 votes, respectively with 7142 ballots cast. I received more votes that year than I did this year -- that year I finished 10th of 22 candidates.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...n-results.html
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have access to the admin panel for the Talkboard votes. The years in which I found votes for both you and gleff were 2003 and 2005.

gleff 235
missydarlin 136

gleff 480
missydarlin 329

I have absolutely no idea why this is inconsistent with what Randy posted here. I can only go by the software record.
Carol,

You've got PM. Or you will as soon as I send it.

--Rich
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I distinctly remember the first year I was elected, Randy posted numbers and Gleff came in first with over 3000 votes. I believe I was 4th with 1300 votes
Originally Posted by RichMSN
The leading vote-getter in 2008 had 2905 votes and 7630 people cast ballots, which was (and still is) a record.

In 2006, the first-runner up had 2377 votes. The leading vote-getters got 3452, 3324, 2849, and 2743 votes, respectively with 7142 ballots cast. I received more votes that year than I did this year -- that year I finished 10th of 22 candidates.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...n-results.html
Thank you guys for providing your numbers. So I didn't dream up those thousands of votes:

Originally Posted by lin821
It used to be thousands who would have come out and voted during TB Elections. Not any more.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:23 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by kipper
I think some did not want the avatar under their name. Perhaps one option is to allow posters to select if they want the avatar or not when they vote.
I can't believe that such stupid behavior could exist
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:00 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium

It appears I remembered incorrectly as well... it was Starwood Lurker who took first place.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:03 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I'm glad to see that the vote discrepancy between what Randy posted and what I currently see for years lost in the mist of time bugs me more than anyone who has posted. I've spoken to Randy. The only thing we can figure out is that the 2003-5 votes were cast on a different platform and the migration to the current one hiccuped. The tech guys who were around then no longer work for House of Miles. Fortunately, we do know that this year's post count (as well as recent years) were recorded properly and posted properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.