Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed to Pass: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm also voting NO. Post counts are inflated enough as it is from Lounge Threads, Contests (thankfully now over), people who post non sequitors upon non sequitors, threads that spin wildly off topic and carry on for pages on end ("Changes to Lifetime Gold/Plat" on the AA Forum for one). We don't need any other ways for post counts to jump.

Maybe this is silly, and maybe this is just me, but to me, being a Flyertalk Evangelist means something. I've wanted to be one for a long time, to have that band of text under my user name and to have people see me as an old timer who maybe knows a thing or two.

I don't want this to change and I hope it doesn't.
Just curious & not disrespecting your viewpoint. But you've been on FT for a while & have a # of posts under your belt (7K+). Why do you think FTers would not already think you're an old-timer who maybe knows a thing or two? I certainly would! Does it actually take X amount of posts more & a 'title' to do that? It's a legit question & not snarky. Just trying to understand.

BTW - not to discourage you, but regardless of how the vote on Omni posts counting or not turns out, the title 'evangalist' has already been downgraded (IMO) because lounge posts do count, even if they're as simple as good morning & nothing else, & people are racking up post counts.

Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is one allowed to mention MilePoint here?

If post counts are intended to have any utility in assessing (in however broad a sense) the contribution that a member has made to FT, MilePoint amply demonstrates why OMNI posts should not be counted.

Post counts there (and the status consequently earned) are utterly meaningless in very many cases, because of a combination of counting all posts in every thread and the MilePoint innovation of giving people positive incentives to increase their post counts by any means.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Just say NO to post count.

Leave things as they are. If counts are allowed, there's going to be a run of useless drivel, more so than normal.

Dan
These two post indicate my feelings; so, No!
Originally Posted by Dovster
I would greatly support a measure which removed one post from our count for every one we make on Omni.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
No. No reason to make them count. This is first and foremost a travel site, with Omni offering a diversion of sorts. If post count actually has any significance, then they should not count.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I'm also voting NO. Post counts are inflated enough as it is from Lounge Threads, Contests (thankfully now over), people who post non sequitors upon non sequitors, threads that spin wildly off topic and carry on for pages on end ("Changes to Lifetime Gold/Plat" on the AA Forum for one). We don't need any other ways for post counts to jump.

Maybe this is silly, and maybe this is just me, but to me, being a Flyertalk Evangelist means something. I've wanted to be one for a long time, to have that band of text under my user name and to have people see me as an old timer who maybe knows a thing or two.

I don't want this to change and I hope it doesn't.
+1.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
When you have threads about Bacon.... Nevermind...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:13 pm

Nothing meaningful must be going on for the TB to be focused on post count. If that info were eliminated, that would be good. Who cares? I don't understand the significance of it whatsoever. But boards seem to include it. Go figure.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Sure it would be nice to get the credit from OMNI. I do agree with what is in place now however, that OMNI is just chatter and isn't related to the other forums.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Mary2e
So, TB decides IF there are to be new forums, including asking for justification for what will be contained within them, yet has no voice in what IS in those same forums?
As Dovster wrote, this is indeed correct with the segregation of duties between TB and the Moderator Corps.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
OMNI is a nice addition to FT, but not what FT is about. Posts should not count towards post count in OMNI. As for lounge threads, well that's for something for mods to combat.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Absoultely they should count. Omni is every bit a part of flyertalk as the community boards are.
Reinstate post counts for OMNI, please.
I agree. I think it will restore the post counts once again. If they behave to all FT members and not try to padding the post count.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:11 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just curious & not disrespecting your viewpoint. But you've been on FT for a while & have a # of posts under your belt (7K+). Why do you think FTers would not already think you're an old-timer who maybe knows a thing or two? I certainly would! Does it actually take X amount of posts more & a 'title' to do that? It's a legit question & not snarky. Just trying to understand.

BTW - not to discourage you, but regardless of how the vote on Omni posts counting or not turns out, the title 'evangalist' has already been downgraded (IMO) because lounge posts do count, even if they're as simple as good morning & nothing else, & people are racking up post counts.

Cheers.
1) it's Evangelist
2) Because the real debate is in fact about the lounges, approve the proposal to include lounges in a Omni sub forum and everything will be settled.
Too bad our representatives lack all common sense
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:06 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Naaa, been there, done that.

I agree. It was a great pleasure for the_happiness_store.

(It was for me, too, but I can't admit that without putting my OmniCon status at risk.)

Probably because most of our Omni posts are third class.

I would greatly support a measure which removed one post from our count for every one we make on Omni.
Great proposal ^
and to be acclaimed, I propose :
one removed post from our count for every one we make on Omni.
two removed posts from our count for every one we make on Lounges.
three removed posts from our count for every one we make on botany subject

Of course we must also allow negative accounts.

BTW that's nice that posting on TB Topics counts because it's way funnier here than in any lounge ^
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by G_G
Great proposal ^
and to be acclaimed, I propose :
one removed post from our count for every one we make on Omni.
two removed posts from our count for every one we make on Lounges.
three removed posts from our count for every one we make on botany subject
You have to be careful with that last one. Australia's largest airport (Sydney) is located on Botany Bay. You may find a lot of Ozzies winding up with no posts at all -- not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:49 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have to be careful with that last one. Australia's largest airport (Sydney) is located on Botany Bay. You may find a lot of Ozzies winding up with no posts at all -- not that there is anything wrong with that.
Thank you for the information so I will avoid to go in Australia ^
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
All posts, OMNI or not, should count! Whilst there are a few who load the Omni pair with gormless blather, they are out-weighed by allowing me to know how I should act when introduced to a fellow OMNI addict....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.