Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed to Pass: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by LondonElite
No to counting posts in OMNI. Randy had it right. Most (all?) of the threads in OMNI have nothing to do with FT. Apart from the counting threads ther e are the truly pointless ones. What do these have to do with the principal reasons we are all here?
Yes, He had right to disable the post count. Because they aren't allowed to restore the post count for any much longer. They won't be reactivation the post count for a quite long time. Maybe there is a forever.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
How about resetting everyone’s posts to zero? Then Don’t count Lounge Threads and Omni.. Everyone can regain their evangelist status without having the clout of Omni and Lounge threads hanging around them..
Old Jul 29, 2011, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by ewrfox
Then Don’t count Lounge Threads and Omni..
The board software does not have the capability to disallow counting posts in lounge threads, so long as the threads stay in their parent forum.

Originally Posted by ewrfox
How about resetting everyone’s posts to zero?
With the 180 post requirement to access OMNI, there would be a flurry of "me too" posts to get back in.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by N965VJ
The board software does not have the capability to disallow counting posts in lounge threads, so long as the threads stay in their parent forum.
I guess just create a Omni Lounge Sub Forum... And have the mods move any OT threads that pops up, this time around

With the 180 post requirement to access OMNI, there would be a flurry of "me too" posts to get back in.
Seeing as Omni can be masked for certain posters, I think it’ll just take some work by the mods or Ib or whomever does it, to allow Omni access to every user that joined before 2011 and I'm pretty sure the 180 posts don't matter when the access is physically controlled
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dhammer53
The lounge threads were the worst thing to happen to Flyertalk.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
+100
Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but out of curiosity, what makes you say "were the worst thing to happen to Flyertalk"?

Originally Posted by tom911
The Talk Board should vote against this motion and come back to the table with a proposal that will spin off number counting threads to a new forum (OMNI GAMES), and only then count the remaining OMNI posts which require posters to at least type out a few lines or paragraphs. It's time to recognize those posts, and posters, who do more than type a number and give them at least the same recognition that lounge threads currently receive. A couple paragraphs on the budget debate or satellite radio should be worth as least as much as a "good morning" in the Community lounge thread.
This is an interesting proposition. I'm still inclined to oppose counting for non-travel-related posts, but I do recognize the significant community-building function of OT posts, and your idea actually goes a long way to splitting the difference. ^
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
All posts should count. Really
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It is merely an indicator of how many times someone has posted. It is not an indicator of anything else.
I am afraid that when that post count produces a title, which is essence says that this person is an Expert - even if the actual title is more vague - then it goes further than merely indicating the number of times posted. It adds gravitas to the posters submissions in the eyes of new members, and imbues their posts with a great significance by dint of their title. That is not always appropriate.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I am opposed to posts made in OMNI counting toward a member's overall post total.
How about the lounge threads then? Same opposition?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Markie
I am afraid that when that post count produces a title, which is essence says that this person is an Expert - even if the actual title is more vague - then it goes further than merely indicating the number of times posted. It adds gravitas to the posters submissions in the eyes of new members, and imbues their posts with a great significance by dint of their title. That is not always appropriate.
FT titles are a sign of what expertise? Being an expert in making enough posts (or in doing something else) to generate an FT title ought not to impress any reasonable person the way the content of the post(s) may.

Coming up with policies to deal with a minority of persons with limited capacity to judge appropriately for themselves without paying attention to FT titles seems to be a less efficient course of concern than seeing what fails the majority capable of exercising their own judgment reasonably. If even the majority are incapable of reasonable exercises of judgment without paying attention to FT titles, wouldn't that be a reason to get rid of FT titles at least under ordinary member handles?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 30, 2011 at 12:45 am
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
How about the lounge threads then? Same opposition?
No, not a specific time to post the lounge thread.

Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
All posts should count. Really
Agreed. They should be reinstates the post count again.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:57 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
"Good morning, thread."

Originally Posted by Markie
That is not always appropriate.
Understatement of the day award. ^
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GUWonder
FT titles are a sign of what expertise? Being an expert in making enough posts (or in doing something else) to generate an FT title ought not to impress any reasonable person the way the content of the post(s) may.

Coming up with policies to deal with a minority of persons with limited capacity to judge appropriately for themselves without paying attention to FT titles seems to be a less efficient course of concern than seeing what fails the majority capable of exercising their own judgment reasonably. If even the majority are incapable of reasonable exercises of judgment without paying attention to FT titles, wouldn't that be a reason to get rid of FT titles at least under ordinary member handles?
This sounds like one of those "It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it" arguments. A load of crap. Stuffing your underwear or bra to make things seem more than they are (i.e., counting OMNI posts) doesn't make it bigger or better, but it does get people to look and pay more attention than they should.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
"Good morning, thread."

Understatement of the day award. ^
Good afternoon to you, too. we are understand if they want to reinstating the post count again. TB will have a consider to restore the post count, if necessary. If they behave and not try to padding the post count. Hopefully, if they will learn some lesson to followed the specific rules.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This sounds like one of those "It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it" arguments. A load of crap.
If it sounds like that, then does that mean it makes sense to get rid of post counts as well? Or then does that mean it makes sense to judge content of a post by the poster's post count?

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Stuffing your underwear or bra to make things seem more than they are (i.e., counting OMNI posts) doesn't make it bigger or better, but it does get people to look and pay more attention than they should.
".... wouldn't that be a reason to get rid of FT titles at least under ordinary member handles?"
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
".... wouldn't that be a reason to get rid of FT titles at least under ordinary member handles?"
Yes indeed it would, and once we have a motion that combines restoring OMNI post counts and abolishing titles I'll be happy to consider it seriously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.