Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed to Pass: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cordelli
Personally I don't care one way or the other, but there seems to be two notions here that I have to say I don't agree with.

First, a person's post count means something.

That's just not the case. There is little, if any, correlation between a person's post count and their value to the community. ...
Would you advocate the logical conclusion of this, which is that post counting should simply be completely removed?

That could elegantly solve this problem, if your thesis is correct.
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
FlyerTalk now faces the first formidable competition in its history ...
From where? As far as I can see only the FT UA board faces anything like "formidable competition". And, it seems to me, the limited extent of the competition is due in part to the rampant and unchecked (nay, positively encouraged) post padding with which MilePoint started and out of which it has not grown.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:04 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Just say NO to post count.

Leave things as they are. If counts are allowed, there's going to be a run of useless drivel, more so than normal.

Dan
:-: ^ :-: ^ :-:

Dan, my feelings are 100% in line with this statement. I couldn't have simplified it any better.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:37 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You are the member-elected representatives of this place. And this is what you think the members are concerned about?
This thread has only been around for a couple of days and look at the number of posts. I'd say based on the responses that this seems to be something they are concerned about. (Now whether that is a good thing or not is a horse of a different color.)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:57 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by the_horvaths
Can't we just ask the mods to move the Lounge Threads to OMNI (I realize that TB cannot force this)? Perhaps create a new airline lounge sub-forum in OMNI?
No, because it defeats the purpose of why the Lounge thread concept was developed in the first place.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am in favor of a return to posts in OMNI counting toward the FT member-displayed post count counter, as it would be a small step forward toward treating OMNI like all the other forums on FT that are open to thousands of FTers.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cholula
Originally Posted by Cholula
The post-inflating barn door has been opened long enough and in enough places here on FT that I don't see that restoring post count in the OMNI's...the most popular forum on FT....is going to make a whole lot of difference in the scheme of things.
Sounds like a basis to call for elimination of all barriers restricting OMNI viewability and/or posting, such that all members of FT could once again participate in it the same way they can elsewhere on FT. ^^

So how about eliminating that 180 post count requirement to view and/or post in OMNI? As would happen if this current motion passes, that too would help get OMNI closer to being treated like the rest of FT.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 27, 2011 at 9:47 am
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma69
I thought you couldn't access OMNI until you had a certain number of posts?
In order to access OMNI, most all FT member accounts must meet a posting and membership duration requirement; however, some FT accounts are not subject to that requirement.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The Dovster may want to expound on the history of the Lounge thread concept. I do not feel compelled to do that here.
Naaa, been there, done that.

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
I knew of Dovster due to OMNI/PR and have met him. For me it was a great pleasure.
I agree. It was a great pleasure for the_happiness_store.

(It was for me, too, but I can't admit that without putting my OmniCon status at risk.)

Originally Posted by Mary2e
why are the people posting there treated like second class citizens?
Probably because most of our Omni posts are third class.

I would greatly support a measure which removed one post from our count for every one we make on Omni.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Another vote for NO, for many of the reasons already stated, including being outside of the FT mission, the counting threads, post padding, etc.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You are the member-elected representatives of this place. And this is what you think the members are concerned about?
Since FT members started a thread in this forum & asked us to consider this (w/ several pages; you can find the thread), then yes, that's the reason I made a motion. Obviously it's had several pages here as well, with reasons given on either side for yes/no.

As a TB member I'm willing to consider other items for FT that are within TB's purview (and not mods or IBs), regardless of what other BBs do or don't do, but those would be in a separate thread(s).

Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
For those of you who want to see post counts kept "pure" to the mission of FT (of which I don't necessarily disagree), do you have any idea just how much post counts have been inflated by:

Old Omni posts counting
Contest threads
Lounge threads

If we want to keep counts pure, then I would be all for:

-removing old Omni posts from counts
-moving the contest and lounge threads to Omni where the posts will disappear

They are not pure now, and as someone else mentioned, the horse has already left the barn.
There have been no contest threads since Randy left FT. Lounge threads are, in my view, a Moderation issue and so outside of the range of responsibility of TB.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Markie said it for this member; ONMI is extra-curriculum.

Originally Posted by FlyerTalk [B
About Us[/B]]

FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information. An interactive community dedicated to your favorite topic: travel! That's right: all travel, all the time. The FlyerTalk forums are open for business 24 hours, 7 days a week. Even better, all travelers -- from vacation travelers to mileage junkies -- are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum and you can get to the business at hand: conversing about programs, how to make the most of your miles and points, general travel, airports, destination and dining information.
Originally Posted by Markie
My view is that as OMNI is, by it's very nature not central to Flyertalk, (points and miles anyone), I do not support allowing OMNI posts to count where this would have the effect of conferring the title 'Evangelist' on people who have posted 180 times on Miles and Points and the 9820 times in OMNI when the board is about Miles and Points. (Accept this is an extreme example).

Therefore on this occasion I will not be supporting this motion.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Markie
There have been no contest threads since Randy left FT. Lounge threads are, in my view, a Moderation issue and so outside of the range of responsibility of TB.
So, TB decides IF there are to be new forums, including asking for justification for what will be contained within them, yet has no voice in what IS in those same forums?

If that's the case, I think FT has bigger issues than whether or not Omni posts count.

As well, those contest threads have thousands upon thousands of posts in them (as do lounge threads). If post count is to be viewed as a measure of contribution/knowledge of this community, well, for some people, those metrics are pretty much meaningless. I can think of several posters who have well over 20k posts and they only posted in contest and lounge threads (or they counted in Omni alot).

I see everyone's point - but it appears there is an "excuse" for all other types of off-topic posts. It's only Omni, which contains what it's supposed to, which is being singled out.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
So, TB decides IF there are to be new forums, including asking for justification for what will be contained within them, yet has no voice in what IS in those same forums?

If that's the case, I think FT has bigger issues than whether or not Omni posts count.
As strange as it sounds, that is exactly the case.

In theory, TB could decide tomorrow that Royal Jordanian will get its own forum and Air Pakistan will not.

The moderators appointed to the Royal Jordanian forum would be then free to allow posts about Air Pakistan and prohibit all posts about Royal Jordanian.

Yes, I know it makes no sense but that is how things are.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm also voting NO. Post counts are inflated enough as it is from Lounge Threads, Contests (thankfully now over), people who post non sequitors upon non sequitors, threads that spin wildly off topic and carry on for pages on end ("Changes to Lifetime Gold/Plat" on the AA Forum for one). We don't need any other ways for post counts to jump.

Maybe this is silly, and maybe this is just me, but to me, being a Flyertalk Evangelist means something. I've wanted to be one for a long time, to have that band of text under my user name and to have people see me as an old timer who maybe knows a thing or two.

I don't want this to change and I hope it doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.